Strange Clutch Happenings - '00 V11 Sport

BrianG

Guest Gary Cheek

The whirring sound when the clutch is pulled in is the intermediate plate rattling in the flywheel splines and the friction plates rattling on the hub due to the uneven power pulses 270 and 450 degrees apart. It's perfectly normal.

\\\\the symptoms you describe are typical of disintegrating clutch pltes, either the friction material un-riveting and de-laminating of the centres cracking out of the plates. Stop trying to pretend that there is an *easy* solution and don't even THINK of going on a long trip until you've been in and checked it out. You can risk it if you like but I think you'd have to be nuts!

While not as easy to do as an old Tonti clutch replacing the clutch on a V11 is not tremendously difficult or time consuming. It's a bit over a day's job at best for someone who knows what they are doing.

Pete

Oh Pete,

I sure wish you lived nearby. I would do all of your V11 Sport clutch work in exchange for you doing my Tontis! I hate doing engine removal on the Tontis. The Sports are a snap!

Oh Pete,

I sure wish you lived nearby. I would do all of your V11 Sport clutch work in exchange for you doing my Tontis! I hate doing engine removal on the Tontis. The Sports are a snap!

I don't remove the engine, simply crab the frame. On a '70's early '80's Tonti without bags and stuff I usually takes me about an hour to get a gearbox on the floor.

Pete

OK... so a RAM clutch will convert this to a single-plate unit from my current double-plate type?

I can't decide between the organic disc and the sintered metal one, from the available reading material.

Opinions? :huh2:

I don't think you have a choice with the RAM unit- it's a sintered metal plate (copper looking, so some kind of alloy).

Their website seems to offer both..............

MG1071510 clutch friction disk, RAM clutches, standard friction compound $80.00

Ah, well there you go.

I was looking at the mgcycle website. I dunno- maybe Mr Haven or Mr Field have some experience with them? I have a sintered metal one in the Eldo and it seems to be working fine. Granted- that's my Eldo and it doesn't get very heavy use.