Moly rear drive oil

docc

Sometime back it was noted that the Guzzi final drive gear oil that includes the moly is produced by Motul. In a fit of convenience I attempted to order this product from Motul through my local ( not Guzzi) shop.

The story I'm getting is that the Motul mineral/moly product is superceded by their "GEAR 300" synthetic.

First, has Guzzi superceded its specification for the rear drive?

Second, what do they mean by 'mineral' oil? Not petroleum and also not synthetic? KY jelly for the rear drive? :unsure:

Sometime back it was noted that the Guzzi final drive gear oil that includes the moly is produced by Motul. In a fit of convenience I attempted to order this product from Motul through my local ( not Guzzi) shop.

The story I'm getting is that the Motul mineral/moly product is superceded by their "GEAR 300" synthetic.

First, has Guzzi superceded its specification for the rear drive?

Second, what do they mean by 'mineral' oil? Not petroleum and also not synthetic? KY jelly for the rear drive? :unsure:

I can't help you on Motul product. However, my Cafe Sport manual specifies a mixture of a Moly additive and conventional Agip petroleum based gear oil. I tried in vain to locate the Agip additive, so I researched the various Moly additives and got a sample from Dow. It's an industrial product sold in bulk, and relatively expensive. I used that in the ratio called for by Guzzi, which coincided with the range recommended by Dow. It is used primarily in hypoid gears where there are high degrees of shear. I have considered using it in the gearbox as well, but do not recommend it for the engine, only because I do not have enough information on using it there. If you are interested, I can look up the Dow spec when I get home later this week.

Guest ratchethack

GL-5 rated synthetics used in the bevel drive do not require MoS2, or molybdenum disulfide (moly) additives. You can use it, but it's overkill -- it won't hurt, but it won't help either. Mineral means dino (petroleum). B)

It would be reassuring that, if Motul doesn't make the moly-dino any longer, the Guzzi factory would supercede the specification to GL-5 synthetic.

On the recent "Whiskey Run" ( TN-AL over the Cumberland plateau) a back-of -the-hand check of rear drive temperatures suggested that the synth runs cooler on a 95 degree F day.

I think there is a difference in performance between standard GL5 synthetic and the same with added moly.

Taking a look at redlinetz2.png

It shows that shockproof protects better than the standard redline synthetic.

It could be bull, but I believe it.

I can't prove that if you added moly to the regular redline synthetic it would perform as well as the redline shockproof, but I suspect it would be similar performance.

But I would suspect that adding moly to the shockproof would not improve it :2c:

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, I did a lot of reading on Redline Shockproof before I started using it in the Guzzi. At that time, I don't think anyone on this Forum was using it. I'd been using their MTL gear lube in 2 car transmissions for decades and had become thoroughly convinced of its superior performance and durability. I called Redline HQ in Benicia, CA, and spoke with a Tech. I asked a few questions, including the correct application for the Guzzi. RL Shockproof Heavy is the recommendation for both trans and bevel drive. It's a GL-5 rated synthetic, and contains extreme pressure (EP) sulphur-phosphorous solid particle dispersion compounds. It neither contains, nor needs moly. ;)

FWIW, I did a lot of reading on Redline Shockproof before I started using it in the Guzzi. At that time, I don't think anyone on this Forum was using it. I'd been using their MTL gear lube in 2 car transmissions for decades and had become thoroughly convinced of its superior performance and durability. I called Redline HQ in Benicia, CA, and spoke with a Tech. I asked a few questions, including the correct application for the Guzzi. RL Shockproof Heavy is the recommendation for both trans and bevel drive. It's a GL-5 rated synthetic, and contains extreme pressure (EP) sulphur-phosphorous solid particle dispersion compounds. It neither contains, nor needs moly. ;)

The Moly Di Sulphide additive I obtained from Dow was a suspension of dark gray particle in gear oil. I do not believe that compound comes in pink. It looks like graphite.

Redline'll tell you it's a synthetic moly.

That would be enough to drop Redline's credibility to near zero, unless they have invented cold fusion, or are making the element with their in-house particle accelerator and then "burning" it with Sulphur in an otherwise inert atmosphere.