Griso

belfastguzzi

Picture_9.png

another different half-way house

quite a lot of differences and is that a right-side side-stand (or just pipes/hoses)?

Moto%20Guzzi%20Griso%20%204.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting pic. The bike has what appears to be the hi-cam motor in? Is that one of the early publicity shots? Or are they the fabled 4V heads for the pushrod donk?

Pete

At first it was sait that the Griso would have a 4V er motor, dunno what happened and dumped this idea (along with more ideas) I guess with Guzzi we won"t know what it will be if it doesn"t come out first. :glare:

Here!!

That Griso pic that Jaap has flashing up at the top of the site ––––

that's not a real one!!!!!!!!

It's this yoke (as above):

moto-guzzi-griso.jpg

I dunno guys, I think you guys have to ride this bike before give her any, and I say any promotion.

Negative or positive.

This bike is looking good, Ok I agree, but riding, that's another pair of hands.

My ride with it has been not that good. I have got a realy negative impression about her.

Sorry for this but I have to say it.

Sorry for this but I have to say it.

Why? Riding position or performance/handling?

Did you get a demo ride?

I had hoped that Corsa Italiana might ride one over to the Erin earlier this year, but Paul came on the Breva again. When I asked, he said, because the Breva rides so well. The implication was that the Griso would have been a worse, more uncomfortable ride. :huh2:

Why? Riding position or performance/handling?

Did you get a demo ride?

I had hoped that Corsa Italiana might ride one over to the Erin earlier this year, but Paul came on the Breva again. When I asked, he said, because the Breva rides so well. The implication was that the Griso would have been a worse, more uncomfortable ride. :huh2:

Horses for courses I suppose? I personally love my Griso and it's getting better all the time as I get it closer and closer to sorted. No major problems, just suspension tuning. I can understand people not being comfortable with the riding position. It's not *conventional* in any sense of the word, the bars are highish and wide and if you've been used to something with flatt bars and/or clip-ons it will feel really weird. I've never likes clip-ons though and most of my bikes have had real handlebars with a slight rise so apart from the width, (Which I'm now used to.) I have no issues with the 'G' and I find it very comfortable.

Out of the crate the suspension was set up far too harsh. I've backed off the fork pre-load and compression and rebound damping front and rear and it's now working very well. Despite it's long wheelbase it's surprisingly easy to muscle around, in part because of those wide bars. I'd have to say I'd take my 'G' over a Breva any day, but that's me. I don't expect others to have the same wants or needs as me but don't write the 'G' off without trying one.

Pete

Horses for courses I suppose?

I'd have to say I'd take my 'G' over a Breva any day,

:bike::thumbsup: good to hear. If I had the choice, I would have ridden the Griso to the Erin – but I haven't tried either of them.

BFG - you thinking of ditching the Scura for one of these new fangled fashionmobiles??? (sorry Pete).

Hoho, I knew you'd be thinkin' that

well, I'd only need another £7,498.50

I really like the griso and wouldn't mind a test ride, for what I'd want it for I'd be ok with the 850!! just to cruise and look cool but it doesn't seem very accomidating to us taller blokes :huh2: I didn't feel very comfy on it, almost akward. The breva on the other hand was like a glove, something happens to my V11 and I'll try to get a Breva, R? is it? the fancy black and white one. :grin:

John Gorman borrowed my Griso for a couple of weeks while I was in the UK. John is 'Six foot lots' and complained that the stance simply didn't suit him. He also has very long legs which probably caught on the rocker covers.

I'm *Lucky* in the fact that I'm a freak. I'm 5 foot 10 inches without boots or hair but I suffer from the classic 'Duck's Disease' I have a long back and tiny little legs which makes the Griso ideal for me :grin: .

The seat is comparatively low, (I can flat-foot it both sides at a standstill.) but the pegs are high enough that I can only drag the ends of my boots on the entry to sharp bends and/or roundabouts on a trailing throttle,(Note, although there is provision for screw-in 'Hero Knobs' on the footpegs they ain't there :grin: ) remember, I ride like Gumby! I hate the 'Dog Shagging a Hockeyball' riding position but also eschew the 'Broomstick up the Arse' BMW look and I find the 'G' is ideal for me in terms of overal back posture at any speed I usually travel at, (Between 110-145KPH, you loose your licence on the spot for over 130.) unless there is a substantial head wind in which case things get tiresome, but they would on anything apart from a fully faired bike. At the same time the wide bars make it really easy to muscle about in bends and the long wheelbase makes it stable and easy to predict in a 'Road Riding' situation trather than the track. It's comparatively heavy rotating bits make it forgiving when the back end breaks away, (I'm glad to say I haven't yet had a front end lose!) and the Showa forks on the front are, (Yes, I know you racial purists will hate it.) superb. The Bogge (Sp?) shock is more than adequate for me but from previous experience with their products I'd guess that within a couple of years I might be looking to upgrade at the back.

I love the way the motor delivers it's power and that may well be partly to do with the fact that the 'G' uses 36mm throttle bodies. I now that all the theorists, including some I really respect, will tell you that you should be able to use much bigger TB's wuith such a motor but the smaller ones deliver incredibly smooth, linear performance from nothing until the point where I'm quite happy to not go any faster. The bike ROMPS up to 100MPH after which things become a bit more relaxed, I don't care, it's rare for me to need to go faster than that and I can always knock it down to 5th if I'm in a panic, I've usually got 1,500 in hand at least :blush: Having said that a check of the on-board data logger often turns up maximum speeds of the 178-182kph mark so perhaps I'm suffering from advanced altzheimers :grin:

The *new* six speed box? Sorry guys, while it is undoubtably noisy it is about a zillion light-years ahead of the V11 box in terms of precision. Ratios? Well they work for me but I'd preffer the middle three to be a bit closer together, 4th to 5th sometimes feels a bit tall but it still pulls well in 6th. Whether the higher geared Breva would do the same I dunno? No experience but when I test rode a Breva I was disappointed, short ride though and the only one.

The CARC final drive? There is essentially nothing different to the V11. It's an independently isolated shaft drive with a torque arm on the bevelbox, on the Breva/Griso it's just less elegant, harder to service and heavier :huh2: . It does have a driveshaft shock absorber though and is sheltered from road grime so it's not all bad. I can live with a bit more un-sprung weight. Good God! It's not as if any bike with a GEARBOX on the rear axle is ever going to handle like a GP bike, or even a Honda CT110 :bbblll::grin: .

My guess, although I haven't done a direct comparison, is that a well set up V11 will be considerably faster than a Griso and slightly faster than a wrung-out Breva. Style-wise they are all as different a chalk and cheese. I think the Breva, (And it's bastard offspring the 1200 Sport :vomit: ) are uglier than the biggest ugly thing ever smitten with an ugly stick! I think the Griso is a truly stylish and individual machine that owes nothing to anything apart from the Centauro which was another Guzzi *original*. The V11 series, especially the early 'Short Frame' models were, magnificent but always seemed to me to be trying to *trade* on the fame and splendor of the early '70's models. Don't get me wrong. I like and respect the V11's, I just feel that they could of been done a lot better for not a lot more money. Perhaps the key to my *Valuing* of the various models is that I never bought a V11 but I bought a Griso without ever having ridden, or even seen on, in the *flesh* as it were.

NOW! THESE ARE ONLY MY PERSONAL OPINIONS AND OBSERVATIONS. THEY BEAR NO OTHER MERIT THAN THE FACT THAT I BELIVE THEM AND THEY ARE NOT NECCESSARILY RIGHT OR WRONG. SO IF YOU WANT TO FLAME ME? FEEL FREE! BUT MY OBSERVATIONS ARE NOT BASED ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL BIAS SO I DON'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN LONG, SEMANTIC ARGUMENTS OVER WHAT I *MEAN*, JUST GET STUCK IN :P

Pete