An absolute must for every V11 owner!

Guzzirider

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use WD40 for screwing- HOLD ON, LET ME EXPLAIN!

I recently had to use hundreds of rather large screws for assembling a wooden truss. Spraying a box of the screws as a preperation made it far easier to drive them in. In time, the WD40 disappeared. One box was left over. After a week, everything evaporated except a small amount of oil in the bottom of the box, which I suppose is the lubricant Ratchethack refered to.

WD40's maker is not alone in enjoying high gross margins on canned sprays. That is the rule, rather than the exception. People are willing to pay for the convenience and application advantages spraying itself provides. For example, I use it on heavy duty staplers to permeate the mechanism, knowing it will get the small amount of light oil it contains where it is needed, while the solvents evaporate away.

In a free market, profits are the applause of happy customers.

As it is a solvent, it would. Goof-Off is even better though!

Rj

Any idea what will remove masking tape glue from windshields?

I use pure alcohol for that, on a wet cloth (with the alcohol) and wippe off with dry cloth.I repeat proscess till is clean.

But then again some other cleaner on the market like Aytoglym fast glass, and the S100 can clean that as well

I use WD40 for screwing- HOLD ON, LET ME EXPLAIN!

I recently had to use hundreds of rather large screws for assembling a wooden truss. Spraying a box of the screws as a preperation made it far easier to drive them in. In time, the WD40 disappeared. One box was left over. After a week, everything evaporated except a small amount of oil in the bottom of the box, which I suppose is the lubricant Ratchethack refered to.

WD40's maker is not alone in enjoying high gross margins on canned sprays. That is the rule, rather than the exception. People are willing to pay for the convenience and application advantages spraying itself provides. For example, I use it on heavy duty staplers to permeate the mechanism, knowing it will get the small amount of light oil it contains where it is needed, while the solvents evaporate away.

In a free market, profits are the applause of happy customers.

A fresh rasor blade and glass cleaner is what we use at the glass shop. Don't try wd40, it'll make a mess.

Ciao, Steve

A can of this stuff appears in my engine rebuild rant that I originally posted up on Wildguzzi and caused great hillarity with those not afflicted by humourless, po-faced christianofascism. We simply don't get all prescious and up-tight over such stuff. I mean??? What are you going to be saying when you use this shit? (Sing song voice.) "Please Mr. Motor won't you play?" Bollocks you will! :grin:

Pete

Guest Gary Cheek

QUOTE(Ryland3210 @ Oct 16 2006, 10:16 PM)

In the case of old, dried tape a soaking with WD40 will usually soften the stuff up. For a scraper brass is preferrable steel second but avoid aluminum. Brass or bronze sharpened suitably works very well. Brass will not scratch glass, steel can, aluminum will. It isn't the metal that scratches but the oxides.

As far as starting wet engines WD40 is a big help in an emergency when there is a cracked insulator involved.

WD40 according to the federal Material Safety Data Sheet is merely Stoddard (mineral) solvent and Naphtenic based light oil. Not a heavy lubricant but a lubricant none-the less.

Some Satanofacists find it a good fire starter for their human sacrifices as well. Not to mention as an arse lube for their own squeaky behinds.

In the case of old, dried tape a soaking with WD40 will usually soften the stuff up. For a scraper brass is preferrable steel second but avoid aluminum. Brass or bronze sharpened suitably works very well. Brass will not scratch glass, steel can, aluminum will. It isn't the metal that scratches but the oxides.

As far as starting wet engines WD40 is a big help in an emergency when there is a cracked insulator involved.

WD40 according to the federal Material Safety Data Sheet is merely Stoddard (mineral) solvent and Naphtenic based light oil. Not a heavy lubricant but a lubricant none-the less.

Some Satanofacists find it a good fire starter for their human sacrifices as well. Not to mention as an arse lube for their own squeaky behinds.

Thanks, Gary. What about hard coated Lexan? Is Stoddard solvent hydrophobic?

to remove goo, use gold ole Lighter Fluid. Works like a freakin charm. Seriouslly.

ronsonol-sm.jpg

cheaper and better than googone. and if you don't want to wait for it to dry, well just put a match near it. :lol:

really works well though, has someone mentioned this? I thought everyone would know that. :huh2:]

Also doubles as a somewhat decent Rainx water repellent.

Guest ratchethack

Thanks, Gary. What about hard coated Lexan? Is Stoddard solvent hydrophobic?

Stoddard solvent and kerosene are similar in composition, but not identical. They smell very nearly the same. They have many physical properties in common, including insolubility in water. Insolubility in water is not the same as being hydrophobic, and neither is hydrophobic.

Since the exact formulation of WD-40 is a closely guarded trade secret, and it shares many properties of both, it might be safely assumed that it's primary composition is somewhere between the two, or a combination thereof with the aforementioned aromatic hydrocarbons and a squirt or 2 of penetrating oil, and possibly a shot of "secret sauce" that makes it entirely suitable as a mouthwash and breath freshener in many cultures, such as the Tekno-Gothik-Industriac sub-culture in any berg on the planet. :o

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s6588.htm

Guest Gary Cheek

Stoddard solvent and kerosene are similar in composition, but not identical. They smell very nearly the same. They have many physical properties in common, including insolubility in water. Insolubility in water is not the same as being hydrophobic, and neither is hydrophobic.

Since the exact formulation of WD-40 is a closely guarded trade secret, and it shares many properties of both, it might be safely assumed that it's primary composition is somewhere between the two, or a combination thereof with the aforementioned aromatic hydrocarbons and a squirt or 2 of penetrating oil, and possibly a shot of "secret sauce" that makes it entirely suitable as a mouthwash and breath freshener in many cultures, such as the Tekno-Gothik-Industriac sub-culture in any berg on the planet. :o

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s6588.htm

You can look up the MSDS for just about every thing in common industrial use. A good place to start when comparing snake oils! Manufacturers are required to list active ingredients but I believe they are granted exceptions for some of the less reactive components. Marvel Mystery Oil is quite similar actually to WD40 but they list another ingredient that seems to be simply peppermint oil. The exact proportions are not usually revealed.

BTW, When we need to remove adhesives from Lexan or other polycarbonates at work , WD40 and a sharpened , wood tongue depressor used very gingerly usually turns the trick. Followed with a cleaning with one of the approved polycarbonate cleaners.

Since the exact formulation of WD-40 is a closely guarded trade secret,

It's in here, if you can work out the code:

armani_code_women.jpg

a propane torch should do it