Barber's Vintage Festival

docc

Just back fromt he weekend in Birmingham (Alabama, USA) at the Barber Motorsports Park and museum. This Vintage event promises to be one of the greatest in world. The sounds of the old singles and twins attacking that beautiful track . . . unbelievable! :race:

Moto Guzzi seemed to be the featured marque. Everthing from Ambos in the off-road camping to V11 Lemans circling the perimeter road. One green Sport looks to have ridden in from Minnesota ( I thought I was cold riding from Tennessee) and hi again to Dan who rode his gorgeous Sport down from Cookeville.

Aside from the racing and the spectators, the museum is stunning. Certainly lots of nice old Guzzis, a racing Daytona and a Ghezzi-Brian. On one of the walls stacked with new bikes is a Rosso Corsa.

These guys have good taste.

Thanks again to David and Josh meeting to ride in from Tennessee via a great meal at David's on Guntersville Lake. :thumbsup:

Watch for this event next year. It is well worth planning for.

:thumbsup: This is one event you need to plan on attending at least once.I commented to my wife via cell,that I was in motorcyclist heaven.You'll see your first bike and many that you've never heard of.The track and grounds are world class,manicured to perfection.The museum is sensational,there's really too much to absorb in just a few hours.

You'll meet many interesting people with their stories of that first bike or the rides they've taken.(I met Docc,his son Chase,Dave and Rick,they really liked my Green 2000 V11 Sport,Thanks!!)The swap meet area was pretty large.Triumph was offering Demo rides,hopefully future events will have other manufacturers participating also.

As Docc said Moto Guzzi was well represented,I'd never seen so many at one place.See you next year,Dan

WHAT NO PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Sorry I missed you, docc and Dan, as I did most everyone else it seems, except Dave Edwards (Ind.) and Phil Grundy (Tex.).

Anyway, while I suspect you had more than these in mind, maybe these photos will tide you over 'til better ones show up.

Posted this at w/g to accompany the pics (url at end):

"What a gorgeous day for a ride. Started off cold (well, for Atlanta in October, anyway), but warmed to shortsleeves (and way too warm for leathers) by mid-afternoon.

Jay Hines and I rode over with a large group of "Ratlantans," the Atlanta Triumph crowd, tho there were two beemers. Because Jay and I knew back roads to Barber's, they had us lead. Very foggy for most of way there, but cleared to vivid blue sky.

We split on arrival and I never saw the T crowd again. Jay and I wandered around, saw LOTS of Guzzis in the parking lots. Ran into Dave Edwards and Phil Grundy, too. Jay stayed for the day (and mebbe today); I went over and remembered what passed for my youth at the vintage Japanese m/c area. Then rode by myself to Atlanta. It is difficult to imagine a more pleasant ride than that one. A warm afternoon sun on my back, twisting and rolling roads, and a Guzzi. Mighty fine.

Don't expect Dan Kalal quality, but some pics are here: http://snipurl.com/104ft "

Bill

I rode down on my '04 Ballabio with a friend on his '96 Triumph Trident. It was cold and rainy from Little Rock to Tupelo but the trip was well worth it. The only Guzzi rider I was able to talk to was an older gentleman on a Green V11 Sport from MN. His had 46k miles on it and had a lovely sounding Quat D. I did see quite a few V11 bikes and surprisingly some older ones. A couple of 850s, Stones and even a Quota. There was quite a bit to do between the races, museum, swap meet, and especially the Triumph Demo truck. The new Speed Triple is SWEEEEEET. So is the Daytona 675 but I'm too big and felt like a monkey on a football. I'll definately go next year.

Dave

Think "sensory overload" and you will get an idea of the magnitude of that place........I think after doing one floor you realize: "It's all too much, but I must see more!!" :P:

Hey Bill,

We were parked right next to you. Look at your picture titled "Ditto" - top left is my Daytona, center is Josh with the 1100 Sport and docc is right in front of him. We got there early and left late, we were away from the parking area a long time.

We saw most everything, even the Trials course, I would not recommend the Trials course unless you are on a dirt bike. We were on foot and did a little trail breaking because docc said it was shorter and we would miss the steep hill! Ha! Ha! It was getting dark before we got back to the bikes.

What a great weekend! A true Motorcyclist sensory overload!

By the way, I'm heading to Germany next week and will procure some Grappa, I will hide 1 bottle for our next ride!

Later!

David

Hey Bill,

We were on foot and did a little trail breaking because docc said it was shorter and we would miss the steep hill! Ha! Ha! It was getting dark before we got back to the bikes.

I will hide 1 bottle for our next ride!

Later!

David

"foller me guys . . . this muss be th' way . . ." :unsure:

"Yeah, yeah. Ignore that guy who sez the arrows point the other direction . . ."

( Hey, it was scenic. Cardiac, but scenic.)

The Peronni was great. And the Tecate and Negra Modelo weren't half bad either. I'm still trying to explain to my wife the young son's new-found talent at cracking the tops off beer bottles. :drink:

Hey Bill,

We were parked right next to you. Look at your picture titled "Ditto" - top left is my Daytona, center is Josh with the 1100 Sport and docc is right in front of him. We got there early and left late, we were away from the parking area a long time.

I guess I'd have made a lousy detective. I looked at the bikes and the plates and never made the connection. :homer:

By the way, I'm heading to Germany next week and will procure some Grappa, I will hide 1 bottle for our next ride!

David

Vablankingbene! :drink:

Glad you all had a fine time, tho it sounds as if docc may have been drumming up business. Suspect you all needed an "adjustment" after the long ride and death march. :D

I was very impressed with the vintage races, and need a track day over there "just to say I've done it." My times might be 2+ - min laps, but it'd be fun to see what it's like.

I'm headed off to the GarageMahalo to see if I can figure out the elec. prob that has it eating 15A fuses. :luigi:

Regards from Atlanta,

Bill

• 2 years later...

And the time has come again. I can't believe this thread is three years old!

I hope many of you are planning on making this event. Two or three of us are riding down from Columbia, Tennessee, (about an hour south of Nashville) Friday noon. Let me know if you're going to be in the neighborhood. (We're going the "back way", no Interstate Highway). We're staying in Irondale (Hampton Inn) about 6 miles west of the grounds.

I really hope to see some of you there. No question, this is a World Class event!

And the time has come again. I can't believe this thread is three years old!

I hope many of you are planning on making this event. Two or three of us are riding down from Columbia, Tennessee, (about an hour south of Nashville) Friday noon. Let me know if you're going to be in the neighborhood. (We're going the "back way", no Interstate Highway). We're staying in Irondale (Hampton Inn) about 6 miles west of the grounds.

I really hope to see some of you there. No question, this is a World Class event!

Yup, I'll be there, flying down from Vancouver. Staying at Springhill suites on Colonnade Pkyway, Thursday to Monday. I'll look for Guzzi's!!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see quite so many Guzzis this year. Having ridden down with Josh's Sport 1100, we saw a Quota, a champage LeMans, an Eldo, and a really nice metallic green LeMans/CX. There was a 1200 Sport at the motel. There were three amazing cafe Guzzis in the Classics show. And there were a couple Guzzis in the paddock waiting to ride in anger.

This remains an extraordinary event; can't wait til next year!