New Guzzis for EICMA Milan

Guest Macio

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More of the same from the MD site:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15november0...07motoguzzi.htm

IF they're going to get only 100HP out of a 1200 8V machine that's pretty well underperformance ,

Even BMW got 124 HP on their new 1200, how embarasing it would sound , IF.....

Perhaps they should start building coffee machines.Credits to the designs though-

IF they're going to get only 100HP out of a 1200 8V machine that's pretty well underperformance ,

Even BMW got 124 HP on their new 1200, how embarasing it would sound , IF.....

Perhaps they should start building coffee machines.Credits to the designs though-

The Guzzi site says that the 8V Griso makes 110hp - that's for what is a relatively understressed monster-style bike, similar to the Centauro. If they can make the old 8V motor make 120hp at the rear wheel, then they can easily make a proper air/oil cooled (let's face it the V11 doesn't count as air/oil cooled) make 130hp at the rear wheel.

The Guzzi site says that the 8V Griso makes 110hp - that's for what is a relatively understressed monster-style bike, similar to the Centauro. If they can make the old 8V motor make 120hp at the rear wheel, then they can easily make a proper air/oil cooled (let's face it the V11 doesn't count as air/oil cooled) make 130hp at the rear wheel.

I wouldn't expect 130 rear wheel HP from such a motor and Euro 3 , that's not possible. But 120 even at the crank would be logical, though I don't think they're going to do it.

BTW the V11 is air/oil cooled , or what is it then and why?

Hi there,

just my :2c:

The new custom....... no lines, a harley exhaust setup, the tank is even more revolting than the california, and fenders that are about 5 cm to high above the tyres! IMHO :huh2::huh2::huh2: FUGLY!

The 8v griso however, i did like the 4v's exhaust the 8v's is just great. Overall looks are stunning! The 4v griso lines worked well with the big can but always missed somehting in my eyes. The 8v makes up for that!

No i wonder do they make her in that nice baby blue that would look nice next to the scura!

Looking forward hearing more about the engine. 100hp with euro 3.. that has potential that's for sure!

Sure BMW has 124 HP so what! I don't want a BMW I want something sexy!

And convince my girlfriend it's a really nice bike for commuting :helmet::helmet: !

Ciao

jasper

I imagine that there are R1200S' at Lake Como right now. I'm sure that Guzzi can get comparable HP out of the new motor, and the MGS-01 Serie seems very likely with the news of the new 8V.

All I know is I will have no issues plunking the money down when it arrives, and I've put back the MGS-01 background on my computer screen. Think it'll make it to the US before 2009?

I imagine that there are R1200S' at Lake Como right now. I'm sure that Guzzi can get comparable HP out of the new motor, and the MGS-01 Serie seems very likely with the news of the new 8V.

All I know is I will have no issues plunking the money down when it arrives, and I've put back the MGS-01 background on my computer screen. Think it'll make it to the US before 2009?

Concerning the MGS design , are you sure that the new 8V motor on Grisom can be fit to the MGS chasis?

So perhaps something completly new has to be made (concerning chasis as well)

They can do it but it will take time I guess.

I wouldn't expect 130 rear wheel HP from such a motor and Euro 3 , that's not possible. But 120 even at the crank would be logical, though I don't think they're going to do it.

BTW the V11 is air/oil cooled , or what is it then and why?

A radiator that size just isn't man enough for the task or removing heat with any major effect to overall cooling (I can do the sums if you like), this is an air cooled motor that just happens to have an oil radiator. If you want to be very, very specific, then there is no such thing as a purely air cooled motor, the oil always has a cooling effect. To make a motor properly oil cooled then you need to improve the oil flow through the engine overall, paying perticular care with the heads and cylinder block, as I understand has been done with the new 8V engine.

Why would you not expect more from a much better engine than from the old 8V motor that is in the MGS-01, which makes 120hp at the rear wheel, as was shown on this forum?

A radiator that size just isn't man enough for the task or removing heat with any major effect to overall cooling (I can do the sums if you like), this is an air cooled motor that just happens to have an oil radiator.

The radiator is more than enough for the Guzzis we have,so don't worry about it, since the motor is exposed it loses tmp rapidly at speeds ove 70mp/h .In cold enviroments oil warms up also slow. Don't need to tell me anything I have measured it with my diagnostic software while driving. Besides the 140+ HP Guzzilas don't have a cooler at all, just a big V sump with external filter.

I remember that GSXR 1100 92 model with oil cooler about same sise as in Guzzis (more or less if I remember well)

Why would you not expect more from a much better engine than from the old 8V motor that is in the MGS-01, which makes 120hp at the rear wheel, as was shown on this forum?

For the same reason that my ''old'' 1100i Sport produces 82 rear wheel HP right out of the box and a 1200 Norge twin spark barely passes the 82 at the clutch!!!

The radiator is more than enough for the Guzzis we have...

Not disputing that, but I'm talking about the new engine and providing a proper amount of cooling from the oil.

For the same reason that my ''old'' 1100i Sport produces 82 rear wheel HP right out of the box and a 1200 Norge twin spark barely passes the 82 at the clutch!!!

That's like comparing a Cali with a Le Mans.....

Not disputing that, but I'm talking about the new engine and providing a proper amount of cooling from the oil.

That's like comparing a Cali with a Le Mans.....

Well MGS has the same radiator with the V11 if hat tells you something,perhaps a tiny bit deeper sump and that's all for these extra 35HP

What I am pointing out is that though the Guzzi motors have the potential whether (2V) or 4v to produce some nice HP

what's getting out of the factory , even withh added mods such as the twin spark and more cc, it oesn't ad any poer at al. It is hard for me to believe that is the Euro 3 to blame for n estimated 20% decrease on power ,or more.

:bier:

Well, I must be the only one here not bickering about lost horsepowers or where the supersports model is.

I like these new models. Its a step forward, its different and shows a lot of further potential, I think the Griso got better with the small design tweaks. The exhaust look much more interesting now. The new cruiser: I HATE cruisers and I have never really liked the Cali (it has no soul of its own, it just borrows), but this one I quite like. It has the same relaxed enjoyably sporty/retro feel as the new/old Triumphs, mixed with some Street Rod cues. And those models are big sellers... I wouldnt mind the cruiser, actually. At all. Thats the first time I say that about these kind of bikes. (of course this cruiser is also a borrower of design features, but I think this design suits the MG character so much better)

So what with this whining about lacking power. Its all in there, I suppose MG would like to hone the reliability of the engine, work on the image slowly and controlled, and pull some more grown up customers out of the Beemer crowd before cranking it up. There has been more activity at MG the last year than the six previous years, and thats good isnt it?

This year there has been a lot of news coming out and every time theres a massive DOH!! on these pages. Why? Of course MG cant produce a new V11. Its old, no one wants it. Its noisy, difficult to drive, loaded with niggles and not everymans bike. If MG is to survive they HAVE to produce some kind of everymans bike, show thats it a good proposition, work on the organisation, get sorted – and theyre getting there. I think it seems like they finally have a plan. My guess is that our lot, the hardened oildrinking-suspensiontweaking-noiseloving old school saltyseabeard bikers, are not included as target groups at all.

Its plain silly to compare these new strangled-by-regulations models with the Godzillas and Dr Johns of the old world. Those are fierce, steamhammervibrating angry hotrods (as is our V11 in a way) and dont have to comply with anything. MG is set to producing some cool characterful real world bikes for real world riding, nice sales of these will get us a hot new torque monster faster. I'd like an orange Griso 8V and a matt black Cruiser please.

nice sales of these will get us a hot new torque monster faster.

I completely agree that Guzzi need to build bikes that people want to buy. A recent success was the Breva 1100- many have been sold and you see them regularly on the road in the UK.

As for the rest of the range?

It took weeks for my main dealer to sell his first Norge.

The Griso? Not many of these flying out of the showroom either- I am yet to see one on the road despite a summer full of rallies and riding. A few popping up used which is compromising the market for new ones.

Nevada 750- I only ever see old ones.

Breva 750s- see quite a few that are 3 years old but never a new one.

Californias- not selling at all.

I visit the local Guzzi shop regularly and the same stock is normally sitting there in dust. I am not sure if this is the same picture worldwide, but the other post today about discounts and finance incentives in the USA lead me to believe it may be the case.

I can't really see the new models setting the world on fire either- they probably were not intended to, but it would help the company if they could draw in new customers, not just the enthusiasts like us who buy the odd one anyway. If I am wrong, and they sell like hot cakes and there are waiting lists for the things I will be really pleased.

I guess the yearning for a sporty bike is a heart thing- think of the heritage of Moto Guzzi- and the fact that not all Guzzi riders want to grow facial hair, and moan about the fact that they remember when it was all fields round here! A good little pokey sports bike with lots of character could also be a sales success.

Guy :helmet: