Political Threads

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to share...

Charting your political inlcination sound a bit too american but with some humor sense here is my chart...

Some of the questions are oddly designed, but since all of us were exposed to same survey so it still OK.

Pol_chart.gif

Politics isn't good for you. See it stems from to words, poli which means many, and tics, which are small blood sucking insects. Stay away.

nevertheless, as someone said, it affects us all. And if you want to discuss it, be man enough to be told things you don't like. And don't forget, that most of us will tend to move further right as we "mature". So in a parallel universe, if such a thing exists, you could have a nice argument with yourself! Now that's an idea?

The only sane solution in todays world seems to soldier along alone, because most other people are just too, well, weird.

Bush a murderer or a defender of western values? or maybe both???

I find it difficult to decide. We have fought that part of the world, and they us, for the best part of a thousand years, only to be told now that they are our equals. I find it difficult to understand, and accept. I find their outlook on life alien, and I don't particularly want to have anything to do with it. Let them do as they want, but let me be. But will they?

I don't particularly like what is going on, and I don't see it getting better. One thing I do believe, though, Is that most people in the free world owe USA and England an enormous debt of gratitude for defending Europe and it's people when no-body else were willing and/or able to. This was an act of sacrifice on behalf of millions of people, who could have turned their backs, yet didn't. In hindsight it was the right thing to do, I think, but at the time, it was no an easy choice. I wonder if there are not some of the same considerations to be made today.

I don't particularly like what is going on, and I don't see it getting better. One thing I do believe, though, Is that most people in the free world owe USA and England an enormous debt of gratitude for defending Europe and it's people when no-body else were willing and/or able to. This was an act of sacrifice on behalf of millions of people, who could have turned their backs, yet didn't. In hindsight it was the right thing to do, I think, but at the time, it was no an easy choice. I wonder if there are not some of the same considerations to be made today.

An interesting post, Guido, only some of which I've quoted. Actually, I think that for the British there were no alternatives to "defending Europe" - it was a fairly uncomplicated matter of survival; choices weren't difficult but endurance was and so were moral issues in the aftermath. In Europe things were even more complicated. Here in France there was a government of sorts all through WW2: one which wanted nothing to do with the British, Americans or the Free French, until there was no alternative, and one which was arguably more fervent in its persecution of Jews than Hitler was. Meanwhile, throughout France, a significant percentage of the population supported or actively took part in resistance activity against the occupying forces, with examples of extreme courage commonplace. There again, many innocent French lives were lost in places like Caen and St Nazaire, to the contentious blanket bombing policy of the Americans and British [see these places in that context, Normandy Guzzi tourists, this summer; don't just see the D-Day sites].

History teaches us that nothing is simple and politicians always behave as though issues - and we - are. This consideration is directly relevant to the mess that passes for the policies of Western powers towards countries in the Middle east.

An interesting post, Guido, only some of which I've quoted. Actually, I think that for the British there were no alternatives to "defending Europe" - it was a fairly uncomplicated matter of survival; choices weren't difficult but endurance was and so were moral issues in the aftermath. In Europe things were even more complicated. Here in France there was a government of sorts all through WW2: one which wanted nothing to do with the British, Americans or the Free French, until there was no alternative, and one which was arguably more fervent in its persecution of Jews than Hitler was. Meanwhile, throughout France, a significant percentage of the population supported or actively took part in resistance activity against the occupying forces, with examples of extreme courage commonplace. There again, many innocent French lives were lost in places like Caen and St Nazaire, to the contentious blanket bombing policy of the Americans and British [see these places in that context, Normandy Guzzi tourists, this summer; don't just see the D-Day sites].

History teaches us that nothing is simple and politicians always behave as though issues - and we - are. This consideration is directly relevant to the mess that passes for the policies of Western powers towards countries in the Middle east.

Well said, FrenchBob B)

but if you try to fight wars that way you will never win, Non-combatant casualties are unfortounate but unavoidable so if you just try to take out someone who is shooting at you then it is too late. I'm not saying shoot first ask questions, or let god sort it out, but if you tip toe through a battle field youre setting yourself up for failure. Veitnam was somewhat like that and we lost out big time, a worthless war. Iraq is even worse. Watch Blackhawk Down to see the frustration of the US troops, in a war you need to be decisive and We(America) should get something done or just get out. :huh2: which is kind of contradictory to your final statement in politicians actually make it harder for the troops to get anything done by making everything more complicated. The problem is politicians treat their idea of a solutions as being easy. If you have a sniper in a tower camping out with his family do you take out the tower, or try to storm it? either one is messy and the blame should be put on the combatant for getting his family involved :huh2: many of the Iraqi ppl think we're like the british imposing our rule and they're the american revolutionaries so there are no simple answers, who is right? I don't know anymore I used to think the US now I think we should have left well enough alone after afganistan, I personally think taking out Sadam was somewhat of a grudge GW had after his dad only went halfway, maybe GB should have finished the job the first time around :huh:

I'm a bit worried we mostly seem to fall below the line to the left. Action and reaction??, are we all conditioned to resist the torque reaction of the Guzzis reving at the traffic light :P

And I thought I was fairly conservative. :luigi:

I'd like to see where the BMW drivers are, not to speak of the Harley boys :oldgit:

http://politicalcompass.org/printablegraph...8&soc=-1.38

I'm a bit worried we mostly seem to fall below the line to the left. Action and reaction??, are we all conditioned to resist the torque reaction of the Guzzis reving at the traffic light :P

And I thought I was fairly conservative. :luigi:

I'd like to see where the BMW drivers are, not to speak of the Harley boys :oldgit:

http://politicalcompass.org/printablegraph...8&soc=-1.38

I'm starting to wonder, either guzzistas are similar in thought or everyone falls below the line, I don't know try taking it with the opposite answers and see what happens :huh2:

I'm starting to wonder, either guzzistas are similar in thought or everyone falls below the line, I don't know try taking it with the opposite answers and see what happens :huh2:

That's quite easy to answer. See, Guzzis since ever tend to stay the course, so probably do its' riders, so since staying the course actualy can mean everything every result when f++++ through this test should be possible.

I wanted to contribute to the GGG thread, but Jaap unfortunately didn't let me, so adding to the above said it's also very likely that GG will pop up here again sooner or sooner, just while accidentialy staying his course.

Fly fast - turn left

Hubert