A very upsetting Thanksgiving!

Crooz

I had a VERY upsetting Thanksgiving Day.

We live out in the country... I was washing my Truck in my driveway when I heard a Car approaching (up the Road) at a high rate of speed then all of a sudden as it came by our house it lost control and started a skid (and made one hell of a racket). It's skid had it now going up the road sideways at I would guess 75 mph. It went off the road on the other side as it passed my driveway, then it went into the graveled parking area (still sideway, almost backward now) where our neighbor has like 200 feet of retail rental space. When it hit the gravel it's wheel and rims were spewing rocks onto the metal sided building and several car parked there. 15 yards before it hit the corner of the second building it's rims dug in and it started an airborne flip. Then it hit the corner of the building as the car was exactly on it side (at 90deg). The corner of the building hit at the base of the windshield and the longer rear section of the car caused it to rotate on around going into the building front and then being stopped by two parked cars next to the building.

I've dropped my stuff and started running toward the scene (approx 70 yards) and I get there as the first of 5 passengers crawls out the sunroof. The car is still running but making one hell of a noise. It quits as I get there. Then I see the 19 year old girl that was thrown from the car lying bent and facedown beside the car. I think she came out thru the rear window. Second person out of the car is a little 3 year old blonde girl. Everyones screaming, and the kids crying and bloody. Then her mom get out screaming for here daughter & very bloody. Another boy gets out, and lastly the 20 year old Drunk driver crawls out the sundroof. It's total freaking caos an I'm still the only one there to help. They all get from the car an I'm standing over the the 19 year old girl wondering what I can do to help her. One of the occupants come there screaming for her to be OK, I have to make them leave her alone. I can tell she's really hurt, or dead, then I see the pool of blood growing on the ground under her head. I insist they leave her alone and not move her. I called 911 on somebodys cellphone and have help coming but I know it’s going to be too late for the girl. The Driver is pacing and cursing loudly, and highly upset. A male passer by stops as my daughters boyfriend arrives from across the road.

Ambulance and firemen arrive at the same time.. and I had to get out of there... and walked back home. Besides, I'm not the nosey type. 15 minutes later as the ambulances left I walked back across the road to see the girl covered in a blanket, dead.

THen I find out that the driver tried to run off behind the buildings and across a pasture. My daughters boyfriend and the male passer by had to go tackle him and drag him back. The passerby actually had to hit him in the head several times with his fist as they both fought him. Then he fought the paramedics and cops when they got him back to the scene.

Man, this whole ordeal upset me more than I expected. I'm pretty tought, but this accident bothered me a lot last night. Today as pretty as the weather was here I didn't wish to ride any of my 3 motorcycles... and I've actually considered selling them all and stopping my bike riding. I've been riding for 30 years... but there are just too many idots, cellphone drivers and drunks on the highways now-a-days. To see that type accident and watch that young girl die right in front of me was too much. Geezzz.

I suppose I'll eventually get over this.

Hi Crooz,

Sorry you had to have this happen to you,especialy on what should be a day of joy.

I feel your frustration with people who risk and sadly take other peoples lives without a second thought or remorse.Two people died this week in NYC by a drunk driver(he survived) on the West Side Highway,a frustrating road to drive a bike on as people drive at high rates of speed,pass on the right,weave in and out of lanes without signaling ,with VERY little police presence.High speed fatal accidents happen on average several times a year here,usually with alchohol invoved.

You must love motorcycling,with 3 bikes and 30 years riding.You will recover from this.Time does heal.

Maybe someone reading your account or seeing the accident will think twice about aggressive or drinking and driving.It might just save a life,..

We can only hope...

Michael

I had a VERY upsetting Thanksgiving Day....

Man, this whole ordeal upset me more than I expected. I'm pretty tough, but this accident bothered me a lot last night....

To see that type accident and watch that young girl die right in front of me was too much. Geezzz.

I suppose I'll eventually get over this.

Sorry to hear this. Front row seats to this kind of event is upseting for all but the pathological.

Sure, it's possible to avoid the feelings by dissociating, but that's not toughness in my book. Toughness means you're willing to integrate and learn from the experience and feelings. You can get over it and be a better person/rider for it.

Drunk drivers suck. Back in the day, I ran over a yield sign after six Jack Daniels + chasers. I am eternally grateful it wasn't a person. There but for the grace of god go I. :2c:

Yes that's very socking even to hear. Your thoughts are quite reasonable and you'lll have to do as your instinct

dictates you.If you concider not riding or driving then don't.Sometimes 'messages' we precieve in life have to be taken into concideration. Evolve on this ,I always have this moto, what have I learned from that ,how can I be better, what's the message?

How sorry can one be about the innoscent passengers(driver IMO everytime is responcible for the 'crew') One has to be carefull to who's car is getting into

-there must be NO compromise on that .One has to be fully aware and don't experiment in driving =go for what you know there is NO compromise on that Yes happines and dissaster can be very close if there are compromises on serious "laws" (and there are some more than the above I think)

Take ten minutes (or more) every day and concentrate- exersise on increasing your awareness,awareness of the enviroment on,colours,objects,sounds,movements. That will make you a better driver.

I remember coming home from GMG,entering my country after the ship I was riding in the night in one of the world's worst highways (for many reasons not of the topic)Though I have upgraded my headlight bulb sometimes (in situations like compete darkness)isn't enough for highway speeds of 80mph so I backed off to 55, don't know no traffing within miles of optic view and I had the feeling of something was wrong , drove in the middle of two lane-direction motorway and there it was at the right side a giant piece (2m x 3 m ) hood lying there and the rest of it (2 x 1 ) at the other side(left lane) I saw it and passed right through, I could have avoided it as well cause of the correct lower speed and the reflexes i have when I drive, but I learned a lesson without the bad part."I was driving the right way"

Pythagoras once said "Very smart persons learn by predicting situations , smart persons learn by seing it to others ,but the worst thing would be for a person to wait to happen to him inorder to learn.

^_^

Hi,

I won't say I know what you are going through : I wasn't there, and I'm not you. But I feel a connection, because I've been riding for 30 years also, and currently own three bikes. Six months ago, some young punks in a low rider came out of a blind corner in my lane. For the 2 seconds it lasted, I thought that was IT for me !!!

I survived untouched. A real miracle in my books. I ended up so mad, after I got to their car ( they had spun off the car ), I turned around and got back on the bike. I really thought I was going to pound someone to death.

I thought about giving it up, the riding and all.

The love of the road was too strong. I'm out on my bikes as before, but I'll be honest and say I still carry the weight of knowing these fucking stupid people are out there as well, always.

I have slowed down when I can't see too far ahead.

Some of the fun is gone. But I still enjoy myself.

I just pray i don't end up sharing your experience : it could be one to many.

In the meantime, don't over " intellectuaze ? " that moment, and just go back out.

Yes, it's true : if you fall, go back up and go. Don't force it ever, but give it another try.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Terry

I'm looking for the right words here, but I'm getting a jumble of thoughts.

With the exception of the 3 year old, they were all big enough to make their own choices in respect to getting in that car with that driver. The 3 year old survived and so does it seem her mother, obviously we don't know the relationship to the driver. So there are no totally innocent victims here - other than your neighbours whose property been damage in the accident. (not drawing comparison between life & property)

They are not you or yours, they are nothing to you. Have empathy and sympathy for them by all means, discuss it once with your wife and family and your concerns should they end up in a similar situation. But don't dwell on it more than that. ( we do critical incident debriefs)

I've tried to resuscitate an assault victim. I don't know for sure if I killed him or not with my attempts to save him. By the time I got to him he was unconscious, not breathing and I couldn't find a pulse. I still have doubts nearly 10 years on, it's only natural. But I don't dwell on it.

Last year one of my colleagues was killed on duty on his motorcycle when a car pulled out in front of him. I can only dream of reaching his standard of proficiency in riding. The following day I was out on trip and found myself think of it. I had to drive it from my mind otherwise the distraction increased the likely hood of the same happening to me.

I obviously can expect to have to deal with things like this, it's my job. I have to be emotionally detached or it will burn me up. The counterpoint is that I blub like a girl at films etc, because you develop an emotional attachment to the characters and also its a safe release. I also avoid gore/medical films/tv etc.

You did what was necessary at the time, you got involved you went to the scene to help. You took measured and calculated steps. Only when there were others , who hadn't witnessed it first hand,there did you stand down and move away. You would have been in shock and also were victim of this accident. You did good :thumbsup:

I know how you feel brother. Try being a COP sometime if you get a chance and you’ll get to see this type of tragedy all the time. You figure out very quickly that the world is populated by idiots forever doing stupid things without regard for anyone else and who they put at risk. Hopefully justice will be served and Mr. Dumb Ass will spend the best years of his life being someone’s little bitch :moon: in prison constantly tortured, thinking about how his life might have turned out differently had he made better choices.

Sorry to say you’ll never forget what you’ve seen. I know I’ve never forgotten the first time I watched someone die right in front of me and not being able to do anything to help them. Ironically it just happened to involve a motorcycle accident. That was 10 years ago and I still think about it from time to time but it never stopped me from riding a bike. I figure when your number’s up, it’s up and it wont matter what you’re doing at the time.

My advice it to you is wait awhile before you decide to hang up your helmet for good. And hopefully you’re smart enough to wear a helmet, it will same your life or at least help prevent you from becoming a vegetable. Which in my opinion is a fate for worse than death.

Try being a COP sometime

You mean like Martin Barrett :notworthy:

All I know is that FWIW, my next bike should have ABS, although it might be a politically correct E-bike, in which case ABS options may not be available.

I really hope Guzzi adds ABS brakes as an option to the entire line, otherwise I may have to become a traitor to the team. :mg:

FWIW today I took the wife out on my usual 200 mile route, but we took the car. Towards the end of the twisties on route 78 near the foothills of mount palomar a car flipped and landed in our lane. It was probably one of the several cars I let pass using a pullout lane. Passersby seemed to have the situation under control, so we continued on. I hope everyone was ok.

Giving in to fatalism is bad strategy. True, dodging an uncoming vehicle mid turn or dodging an uncoming wheel is an unlikely achievement, but get ABS, slow it down, take it easy, be smart, be prepared, be equipped, be well practiced, and be alert, and your odds of survival increase. Motorcycles are statistically far more dangerous than cars, which are far more dangerous than Alcohol, Tobacco, or Firearms. :oldgit: But I'll bet old motogeezers are far safer statistically than about every group of riders except maybe those BMW weenies. Just never stop trying to become a safer rider. If you want to give it up and commute to work in Hummer, more power to you, but we can also look at these events simply as a reminder that you cannot play it too safe. :grin:

That's a very sad story,Crooz, and you have my sympathies.

I'm trying to rack my brains to see if I've ever been in a similar situation, and I don't think I have. I've never served in combat, and unlike people like Martin Barrett, I'm not in the kind of job where that sort of situation can be almost routine.

My Sister's a doctor, and she deals with death all the time. I don't know how she does it.

Just a thought. After experiencing that, it's quite possible you may have been suffering slightly from shock.And without sounding too dramatic, you may now have a slight case of post traumatic stress disorder.So take it easy, have a beer, and maybe talk to someone about it.

Don't give up the bikes though,I don't know of a better way off getting rid of stress,

Cheers,

Fergal.

Hi Crooz, like Martin I've had to deal with the aftermath of incidents (I'm a firefighter), they are troubling but you do get over them and have to move on or you become more of a victim than you are already feeling. As Martin says all the lectures and talks about first aid/CPR are great till it happens in the real world, people just do not react like practice mannequins, ribs break and you wonder if you are doing more harm than good. Do nothing and they are probably dead anyway, bones mend, death doesn't.

I'm not trying to be hard or sensational, just honest. You did the best you could as someone thrown into a situation you are not trained to deal with, in fact much better than most, you prevented someone from moving the casualty, in a very stressful situation, a very difficult thing to do. People are apt to think the more attention they give the better, but in many cases least is best, you had an obvious serious/head injury, by preventing her from being moved you would probably have saved her worse damage, had she survived. After 26 years, I still sometimes work with RTA casualties and pray the paramedics get here soon, because my first aid training is only adequate for initial assistance, (we have a different system in GB than much of the US, Fire service and paramedics are different services, not combined and cross trained as yours are)so do not worry, you did your best, you controlled a bad situation and called for help, no one could ask more of you.

Give it time, but not much, get your Guzzi out and ride, still the best cure for doubts and worries I have. Enjoy the ride, you must move on and keep doing what you obviously love, 3bikes and 30 years is a lot of dedication, or this drunk has claimed another victim.

Gary

There but for the grace of god go I.

Here is hoping, in the Spirit of Thanksgiving, that each of you go forth with dominion over the road and Highest Power, whatever you conceive of it, moves its hand ever ahead of you on your way.

Guest bshpilot

As upsetting as i know this can be and they all have

different impact to each of us...that said...

i fail to see the connection to motorcycling...its a

strech at best...that car could have EASILY come thru

your front yard and picked you off, in its path, as you

washed your truck.

just as easily you could be run down getting the

mail outta your mail box...imo you cant (and shouldnt)

hide from this stuff...you could choose to lock yourself

in your home....but it could burn down around you while

you sleep (struck by lightening)....

do something YOU ENJOY while you have the time !

Guest Mattress

Crooz:

I feel for you. Once when I lived in Germany I saw an old man get hit crossing the road. He was in the pedestrian path and had the right of way. Well actually I heard the squeal of brakes and turned around in time to see him bounce off the windshield and back on to the road. I felt very disturbed that day and for sometime afterwards.

It is perfectly O.K. to feel the way you do after witnessing what you did. I was actually on my way to talk to my therapist, so it helped to discuss it with her. {Hey, I'm a pisces with a less than stellar upbringing and have had my share of mental "balance" issues - and I'm not afraid to admit it} She told me it is very normal to feel so disturbed and we talked it out.

If you think it would help find someone to talk to. Discussion boards are nice, but sometimes face to face is better (at least for an old codger like me).

Don't be embarassed to talk to someone. Its not about being tough or a man. Its about being human and alive. Frankly, I would be disturbed if your reaction was any less.

As for riding.....well. I denied myself motorcycles most of my life because I carried somekind of guilt that I couldn't be "so reckless" because bikes are dangerous. The result, feeling unhappy not doing something I wanted to.

Bad things can happen to good people. But I figure when my time is up, it is up. To paraphrase Lenny Bruce: I might die riding, but I've had moments where riding feels like kissing god. :sun: