03 Scura clutch

Guest Ozzy

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have given me. No news yet on what the problem is. Got the bike recovered (good old AA) and taken back to the shop as it has 1 month warrenty left with the dealer. However they have been anything but helpful. They hung up on me 3 times when i phoned to check i could bring it in and when i got there (200 miles later) i asked about this Flywheel problem and they said they never heard such a thing ! The guy keep telling me the gear selector spring had broken but i don't belive this is the cause as would it not be stuck in gear then ? I tried to explain i can select any gear i want but it just won't move! The final insult came when they said they would look at it " If and when they had the time". So no idea when that will be. Anyway I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Ozzy

ps. I still love my bike !

Which dealer is it? Regardless of warranty or no warranty they had an obligation to sell you a bike of "merchantable quality" under the sale of goods act. Tell them they have 14 days to fix it or you will take them to court. The small claims procedure is simple and cheap for you to use and will concentrate the dealer's mind!

Would it be any chance for the engine oil to invade the clutch cavity?...

You would see evidence of same: a mist around bellhousing/crankcases joint, at inspection cap & at small hole at base of cases joint. If it's oil you'll have to split the cases anyhow.

...the dealer. However they have been anything but helpful. ...Flywheel problem and they said they never heard such a thing !...

By your location & their behaviour I suspect your dealer is OYB? No?

OYB supplied my Scura. OYB are aware of the flywheel problem. I was in contact with them at least a year ago & sent them written & photographic evidence. Their attitude then was as the one you describe. I recently emailed them again, which they ignored. I've been too busy to follow it up. MG are also head in the sand on this. It's time & energy I don't have so I bought a RAM to replace the stock one (which works fine but I don't trust to be/remain intact after all I've seen here).

Which dealer? It may be that we'd get more action if we tackled it as a group.

KB :sun:

I can see why the dealer doesnt want to fix the clutch. Its considered a wearable item much like brake pads. Its kind of a shame that its such a big job to get at the clutch/flywheel, but thats what the deal is I guess. I'm waiting to hear from someone who's put one of those Scola flywheel setups in their bike. I'm hoping my setup lasts for several more years but when its time to swap out I want lighter, better, faster :grin:

I can see why the dealer doesnt want to fix the clutch. Its considered a wearable item much like brake pads. Its kind of a shame that its such a big job to get at the clutch/flywheel, but thats what the deal is I guess. I'm waiting to hear from someone who's put one of those Scola flywheel setups in their bike. I'm hoping my setup lasts for several more years but when its time to swap out I want lighter, better, faster :grin:

Guzzi and the dealers are replacing the steel single-platers in the Calis, so why not the Scuras? Keep after them.

Guzzi and the dealers are replacing the steel single-platers in the Calis, so why not the Scuras? Keep after them.

The dealer in question is DK's in Newcastle under Lyme. Phoned today but they have not had a chance to look at it yet so will phone again Monday.

The dealer in question is DK's in Newcastle under Lyme. Phoned today but they have not had a chance to look at it yet so will phone again Monday.

You may know this already but DKs are no longer Guzzi dealers but I hope they look after you still.

Guy :helmet:

You may know this already but DKs are no longer Guzzi dealers but I hope they look after you still.

Guy :helmet:

Many thanks for letting me know. I did not realize this, guess I will need to find another dealer once its sorted :) Hopefully it won't be too long before there is some news, they are going to strip it down tomorrow :unsure:

Regards

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for letting me know. I did not realize this, guess I will need to find another dealer once its sorted :) Hopefully it won't be too long before there is some news, they are going to strip it down tomorrow :unsure:

Regards

Heather

Hi all, just thought i'd update you on the situation. The bike has been stripped and the clutch is knackered but they reckon the flywheel looks fine :) . They are going to fit an upgraded clutch but are waiting for a new centre :huh2: ? Have not yet been able to get an idea on whats gone wrong, whether it was just worn out or whether something failed, they just keep saying that the clutch was "very worn". I just wondered if anyone has any idea on what sort of milage you should be able to get out of one of these clutches? The clutch they are going to fit is the one fitted in later models apparently.

Many thanks

ozzy

If they are replacing the clutch centre, looks like they are going for a late model twin plater.

A safe choice, not sacrificing a lot of 'rev-ability' for road use.

That is similar to the route I went with mine. I used a V10 10 spring dual plater.

Very nice feel. Smoother.

Nige. B)

Not sure what you mean here, Greg: surely you realize that Guzzi hasn't acknowledged any problem w/ the aluminum units in the Scuras, so the dealer can't really do anything wrt unilaterally deciding to replace the Scura's lightened unit if it's out of the 2yr warrantee? Or did you mean that since any dealer who's swapped out a Cali steel single-plate under warrantee will still have it sitting around and could swap it in to replace the Scura Al-clutch, and it wouldn't be problematical since the Scura has a hydraulic clutch, vs. the cable-clutch on the Calis that proved to be the real source of trouble with the steel single plate clutchs wearing too fast?

Anyway, despite my confusion, your input is always valuable; please don't think I'm zinging you! :bier:

:bike:

there are two solutions as Bruno Scola said just yesterday when i asked.

1. cheaper: Replace stock scura flywheel (ergal) with a RAM ergal flywheel.

2. expensive but better: Replace the whole clutch+flywheel block with a double plate clutch and a lighted steel flywheel (as i'm doing) --->here's a picture: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=9635&hl=

weights:

scura clutch+ergal flywheel: 4,2 kg

double plate clutch+lighter flywheel: 4.6 kg (not bad uh?)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I picked up my scura yesterday with its new clutch :)

However my joy was short lived!

I found the clutch very sharp when I picked it up but put this down to it being new & the fact I had not ridden the bike for 2 months. I rode about 120 miles on motorway & the last 11-12 miles through towns etc. This is when I noticed that the clutch was dragging very badly and that it was very hard to change up through the gears from 1st to about 4th. It changed down ok but I can't select neutral at all.

When I stop at traffic lights etc with clutch lever fully pulled in the bike is still shooting forward so I apply brake to stop me hitting whats in front and engine just stalls. must of happened at least 15 times in those 11 odd miles.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea why this is happening and if the clutch can be adjusted ?

The dealer who fitted it still can't tell me what problem was with old clutch and they are not guaranteeing the new one. I plan to phone them tomorrow but expect them to say its not their problem any more. :(

I would be really grateful to hear what you guys think :)

Many thanks

Depressed Ozzy

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I picked up my scura yesterday with its new clutch :)

However my joy was short lived!

I found the clutch very sharp when I picked it up but put this down to it being new & the fact I had not ridden the bike for 2 months. I rode about 120 miles on motorway & the last 11-12 miles through towns etc. This is when I noticed that the clutch was dragging very badly and that it was very hard to change up through the gears from 1st to about 4th. It changed down ok but I can't select neutral at all.

When I stop at traffic lights etc with clutch lever fully pulled in the bike is still shooting forward so I apply brake to stop me hitting whats in front and engine just stalls. must of happened at least 15 times in those 11 odd miles.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea why this is happening and if the clutch can be adjusted ?

The dealer who fitted it still can't tell me what problem was with old clutch and they are not guaranteeing the new one. I plan to phone them tomorrow but expect them to say its not their problem any more. :(

I would be really grateful to hear what you guys think :)

Many thanks

Depressed Ozzy

Does lever feel normal ?

My first suspicion is loss of hydraulic fluid. Maybe leaking from bleed screw on rear of gbox. Have a look at level in res first. If empty,where's it gone! ps my ross is still on its oe clutch at 18k and feels 100% last time I rode her...back in October...

The first question you need to ask them is, "Was the new clutch assembled from all-new parts, including the flywheel and clutch input hub, everything?"

If the answer is, "No," my guess is that they installed an assembly that had worn splines.

If the answer is, "Yes," then likely one of the components has failed or was installed incorrectly. The lining may be chunking off one of the clutch plates, for example, or the plates may have been installed backwards or the spring plate may not have been indexed properly. Someone needs to go back in and look. I would find an independant someone to have that look.