UK Bike Insurance - Ridiculous!!

Guest MadDogMcQ

Guest MadDogMcQ

I've just sold my BMW and bought a Guzzi which I collect on Saturday 13th. When I rang Bennetts to transfer cover from the R1100S to the Griso 1100, I was greeted with a 100% increase in cost!!!!

WTF is that about? I decided to search the internet to beat Bennetts but I only managed to better their quote by a couple of quid, so I had NO CHOICE but to drop from Fully Comprehensive to TPF&T.

Ridiculous! Are Guzzis made from gold? Do Guzzi riders crash a lot? What's going on?

PS : The vast majority of insurers told me they class the Griso as a "V11 Cafe Sport".

Tom. :angry:

Ridiculous! Are Guzzis made from gold? Do Guzzi riders crash a lot? What's going on?

Tom. :angry:

Not gold, per se, but thnk about the low production numbers Guzzi has been putting out up until the releases of the past two years, and the historically poor parts supply, etc. I've seen bikes on eBay that are relatively minor cases of roadrash w/ "salvage" titles because the ins. co's wrote them off. Accordingly, I'm guessing the ins. co's. just class Guzzis as "exotics" and figure any accident is going to be a total write-off, and charge accordingly high rates.

Once Guzzi's sales numbers are consistently high and if Piaggio can fix the parts supply problem, then you might start seeing rates similar to those for Ducks and Bimmers. Of course, you'll never see rates as low as those for Hogs [which seem to have the lowest parts prices of any Bike out there, and moreover, have an aftermarket that allows the buildup of a Hog w/ never even buying an "official" factory frame! ;)]

Best o' luck, & remember that with the sales success of the Griso, in a year or two they'll have actuarial tables based solely on that model, and your rate may go down (or up! :P) accordingly...

:bike:

Guest MadDogMcQ

Did you try Carole Nash for a quote?

Sure did.....

BMW R1100S - Bennetts £347

Guzzi Griso - Bennetts £697 (£250 excess)

Guzzi Griso - Carole Nash £801 (£600 excess)

I hope that things calm down next year when more Griso's have been sold and the insurance companies feel comfortable lowering the premiums. Robbin B'stards!!

Sure did.....

BMW R1100S - Bennetts £347

Guzzi Griso - Bennetts £697 (£250 excess)

Guzzi Griso - Carole Nash £801 (£600 excess)

I hope that things calm down next year when more Griso's have been sold and the insurance companies feel comfortable lowering the preiums. Robbin B'stards!!

mine is so cheap here I hate to tell you, ah hell, $150 a year full coverage :lol: I've heard of cheaper too. but then mine is down as a Quota :whistle:

try tellin them its a Quota :huh2:

:ninja:

Hmm that seems expensive- I pay less than that for both my Rosso Corsa and S4Rs combined- fully comp with Carole Nash full no claims and 3 points on my licence.

Carole Nash have just been taken over by another group-wonder if they are hiking the prices.

Guy :helmet:

Guest redguzziv10

play one company off against the other.. i got my V11 fully comp, down from £317 to £175 last year, just by playing Carole Nash against Bennetts, and got free breakdown recovery, protected no claims, delivery to anywhere in Uk ,and legal insurance thrown in...mind you, it took about 20 calls. I think they did it just to get me off the phone in the end. :)

Saying that though, your Griso is worth about double mine....maybe that's a significant factor!

I just renewed mine with Progressive -- $461 USD. Florida full coverage with uninsured motorist...this was a $71 increase from last year for me, but I attributed it to the move to FL. k

I was paying £100 TPT&T on my FJ1200, but had over a year off before buying the Guzzi so only gave me 3 years NCB to start with for my first year on the Guzzi, Fully comp £373 and 2nd £293 both with KGM, 3rd a change to Equity Red Star £303 and this year £204

I use Profile Insurance as my broker, I've not tended to shop around, but just after I'd renewed one of the cars the wife found a quote 2/3rds so next year I will.

I'm now 42 , full licence since 17, no motorcycle claims or convictions ever (only one of each in the car 93 & 89 respectively) fully comp and include business but not hire or reward, £250 excess. The mileage was initially restricted to 8K a year but I raised that

When I was young I used to look at the insurance guide in "What Bike" and look forward to the day I'd turn 25, I now dread April 08, my eldest turns 17 and might need to be put on the car insurance :(

I was paying £100 TPT&T on my FJ1200, but had over a year off before buying the Guzzi so only gave me 3 years NCB to start with for my first year on the Guzzi, Fully comp £373 and 2nd £293 both with KGM, 3rd a change to Equity Red Star £303 and this year £204

I use Profile Insurance as my broker, I've not tended to shop around, but just after I'd renewed one of the cars the wife found a quote 2/3rds so next year I will.

I'm now 42 , full licence since 17, no motorcycle claims or convictions ever (only one of each in the car 93 & 89 respectively) fully comp and include business but not hire or reward, £250 excess. The mileage was initially restricted to 8K a year but I raised that

When I was young I used to look at the insurance guide in "What Bike" and look forward to the day I'd turn 25, I now dread April 08, my eldest turns 17 and might need to be put on the car insurance :(

DONT DO IT!!

Putting kids on yer insurance doesnt really do them any favours an it certainly wont do you any if they have a claim......Sooner they start earning own NCB the better for all. Hard I know but....

Most kids gona be looking at around £1100-1600 3rd party,dependin on car an postcode in UK.

As for Insurance on Guzzi,well the V1100 is about group 16 I think and guess any new models may be higher cause higher performance? I got mine down to about £220 nor fully comp but only after shoppin around. the high spares prices doesnt help nor does lack of easily available parts. Again Guzzi not helping long term survival of brand here. (puts cash in coffers short term).