Elecrtical problem!

mznyc

Hi J,

I'll give it a look see when I get it off the bike and let yall no what it looks like.

Did a few Highland Cows swim over to the Emerald Isle from Scotland or is it the other way around? :drink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Whooooo!!!!!SHE LIVES!!!!! :D

Changed the starter solenoid,and boom she starts right up!No blown fuses and boy does she purr with the Ti ECU. :P: Cant wait to get her tuned and PC III'd.

Thanks to anyone who gave suggestions.

Couldn't have done it without Carl's,dlaing and Dan's help. :wub: They all zeroed in on the problem and went above and beyond ,to help.I owe you all a drink or two :drink: ,a few good meals :food: and a place to crash(ooh,err,..sleep) if your ever in the Catskills.

THANKS again!!!!

Michael

I touched the ground on the ECU to the hot battery lead while installing a PC-III. Fried the ground inside the loom for a good 10 inches, and roasted the insulation on lots of adjacent wires. I opened up the loom until things were no longer fried, then carefully went through with paint on insulation and sealed everything up again.

Has worked fine for 15K since. Gave me some heartache that first day, though.

I touched the ground on the ECU to the hot battery lead while installing a PC-III. Fried the ground inside the loom for a good 10 inches, and roasted the insulation on lots of adjacent wires. I opened up the loom until things were no longer fried, then carefully went through with paint on insulation and sealed everything up again.

Has worked fine for 15K since. Gave me some heartache that first day, though.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear you had the same incident.Why the hell would they put the ground connecter 2 inches from the pos post is beyond me.Must have been 2 for 1 Grappa day at local cafe :drink: ,when the enginers OKd that one.I have a thin rubber mat that was from my old VFR that covered the battery so this wouldn't happen on that bike. :homer: I'll take a piece off and fit it to cover the ECU so this doesn't happen again.

Luckily when the Battery Tender clip slipped off,touched the ECU post and me taking it off was probably a total of half a second.This might have saved me.

Where in the harness did you start at?I'm hoping I just fried the solenoid now that things are working properly but just in case something comes up,it may help to know where the problem was.

I know now I'll be extremely carefull in the future whilst working on anything electronic on the bike.

Michael