Leaking piston rings

Banksia boi

After much searching and tuning problems we have found the piston rings on my 2000 model v11 sport not to be sealing correctly.

A top end tear down is required and at least new rings.

Question is are there any better rings available rather than factory supplied items?

Why would this failure occur when the motor has only covered 22000 klms,admittedly the bike has been stored for some time by the previous owner.

Problem did exist at time of sale as a hotter heat range set of plugs had been fitted.

What sort of oil should be used to run new rings in and for how long.

The bike is in Australia,its summer and hot.

Thanks.

Are your plugs oil-fouling? If so rings are not the only source of that. V11's do not use valve seals and if your guides/valve stems get worn then you can have oil fouling issues. Happened to me.

Have you done a compression test and what did it blow?

But to answer the question, yes there are a number of sources of aftermarket rings. The stock ones aren't bad but there are better ones. Not sure who would be your best bet down there. Pete would be the man to talk to as mentioned before.

Not to be "smart" but how did you decide the rings were bad? Compression test, blow-by test,etc.?

Blow by,and 54 ks on new plug.

Just putting it out there for general comment before we get the spanners out.

Have spoken to Guru Pete,so maybe we can work it out.

Update is as follows.

Took the moto to Pete Roper on a trailer 2 days ago.

He inspected the bike,spent 2.5 hours resetting the injection system,he took it for a quick ride and pronounced cured.

Got bike home went for a hot ride in traffic,its 40 degrees here,nearly melted me but bike ran fine. NO way it would do this previously

Will take plugs out to check them today.

Keep you posted and provide exact tuning details.

Update is as follows.

Took the moto to Pete Roper on a trailer 2 days ago.

He inspected the bike,spent 2.5 hours resetting the injection system,he took it for a quick ride and pronounced cured.

Got bike home went for a hot ride in traffic,its 40 degrees here,nearly melted me but bike ran fine. NO way it would do this previously

Will take plugs out to check them today.

(Wince!) Not quite pronounced it cured. More said that I thought I had got to the bottom of the problem which was TB ballance stupidness and a ridiculously bad idle trim setting. (Can't sort that by chasing top end HP figures on a dyno. Whoops! I don't have a dyno so obviously I'm a clueless idiot!)

As I said, without riding it for a week in all sorts of conditions it's impossible to categorically state that I have cured the problem but I'm cautiously optimistic I have and have proven beyond any doubt in my mind that the problem was NOT mechanical as the straw-graspers the bike had been to before wre claiming.

Pete

Guest ratchethack

Lookin' forward to it, BB. Could it be that Pete didn't need a month and a pound o' flesh to get it right -- out in the backside of beyond -- without a dyno, wind tunnel, or multi-channel data logger, yet??

Here's the puzzling part. How's it remotely possible that the previous wrench maven(s) came up with blow-by and a recommendation for a complete top end rebuild, if all it needed was TB balance and proper air bypass?? I mean, it ain't even in the same ballpark. . . :wacko:

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know). . . :huh2:

I think one of the problems is that some people think that if they have a shiny new tool like a Dyno it is going to be some sort of panacea for all ills and running a vehicle on it will, as if by magic, cure stuff.

In this case the problem was most evident at low RPM and small throttle openings, basically it was fouling plugs, and most specifically one plug, in city riding. Now sticking a machine on a Dyno and then doing full throttle pulls is going to tell you prescisely 1/5th of f*ck-all about the idle and just off idle fuelling. As soon as I got it warm on the bench it was obvious to my highly trained EGA, (My schnozz!) and my digital mixture analyser, (Running a finger round the coal mine at the end of the pipe!) that the poor thing was absurdly rich, it's idle trim was way off the end of the rich scale. Add in the fact that the RH butterfly was practically closed while the LH one was considerably more open and the TPS was set wrong, (It also had a BR7ES in one side and a BPR5ES in the other.) and it wasn't really all that surprising that it ran like a three legged anteater.

It *may* have other issues but it's hard to sort something perfectly when it is obvious that it has been fiddled with by a toss-pot. Dynos ARE a very, very handy tool, but they won't miraculously make you into an ubber-mechanic.

Pete

Once again, some horrible Guzzi mechano-disaster averted by a simple tune-up.

Hats off to all ye who can set a TPS and balance the throttle bodies. More off to those who adjust valves, set the CO trim, and otherwise tighten down the loose bits coming from together.

If you want any more to come off than that, you'll need an online subscription and easy monthly payments . . . ;)

it ran like a three legged anteater.

Hey, I resemble that remark! [important data point: I'm a graduate of University CA - Irvine. Mascot = anteater. You do the math... ;)]

Or maybe that's only in my dreams? :lol:

Anyway; thanks Pete for another riotous write-up! You really need to collect all your stuff in one place a la' the "Word of Gord" website. Might I recommend a publisher for the inevitable book deal? :thumbsup:

Hey, I resemble that remark! [important data point: I'm a graduate of University CA - Irvine. Mascot = anteater. You do the math... ;)]

Or maybe that's only in my dreams? :lol:

Anyway; thanks Pete for another riotous write-up! You really need to collect all your stuff in one place a la' the "Word of Gord" website. Might I recommend a publisher for the inevitable book deal? :thumbsup:

Update here.

Ran moto for 116 ks at the weekend,a mixture of city and freeway running.

Temperatures maxed out at 42.5C,bike ran extremely well and restarted several times with no problems.

Have not checked plugs or oil level as yet but all appears to be fine.

Keep you posted.