front wheel bearing removal

bentfab

Howdy,

New to this forum, but I've had my 2000 V11 Sport for about 9 years and have put 45K miles on it. One of my front bearings decided to tear itself apart the other day while I was cruising down the road at an aggressive pace.

Trying to save a coupe of bucks by replacing them myself, but for the life of me can not get them out. I guess the big question is, how are you supposed to punch them out from the inside when the spacer is in the way? Should I hammer on the part of the spacer that sticks out using it for a punch? I tried tapping it lightly but nothing moved. Don't want to wail on it and f up the rim if this is not the proper way to remove bearings.

Am I over looking something obvious?

Please help, it's my daily driver. Been in the truck for two days now and can't stand it.

It's been a while, but I recall driving mine out with a long punch flattened on one side. There is not much to get a bite on, but once it starts moving you can walk it out.

Hopefully, someone will chime in that has either done one more recently or has a better remembery.:oldgit:

For the life of me, I can't figure out how you've had your Sport 9 years and have only now made your first post! Welcome to the slippery slope and watch out for the Guzzichondria!

First post, who gives a flying rat's ass if it's his first post?!? How in the hell did you get that mileage outta yer bearings?!? :D

Oh, welcome aboard ,too.

A proper puller, that goes through the bearing, expands, and pulls the bearing out is best/easiest way. You will pay for the puller, but will use it on the swing arm bearings, and those jobs alone will be worth the price of admission.

Heat, judiciously applied, is your friend.

:notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

Thanks guys,

I'll look into getting a puller. Stearing head bearings need to be replaced as well so it would be a good investment.

I am curious to know how you used a dremel to get the bearings out. I've already got dremels, die grinders etc.

Thanks guys,

I'll look into getting a puller. Stearing head bearings need to be replaced as well so it would be a good investment.

I am curious to know how you used a dremel to get the bearings out. I've already got dremels, die grinders etc.

You take the Dremel tool and put it between your feet while sitting in front of your computer.Then you get online & order the Posse wheel bearing tool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys,

Using a grinding head,cut through the inner ring it'll fall apart relatively easy

I use a wooden dowel the size of the bearing to drive it in,

about a half dollar invested for both

Thanks guys,

Using a grinding head,cut through the inner ring it'll fall apart relatively easy

As others have said the proper tool is best but I've heard that using a Rawl bolt to grip the inner race and then hitting it from the other side also works and is cheaper !! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,

As others have said the proper tool is best but I've heard that using a Rawl bolt to grip the inner race and then hitting it from the other side also works and is cheaper !! duim.gif

WTF is a Rawl bolt?

I've done it with a flattened punch as well, but you must be very careful to not wreck the spacer. Next time I'll get a puller. Also note that there are two variations on the front axle bearings of the 2001 models...one has different size inner race diameters on the axle. You'll need to know which you have to purchase replacement. k

Ended up buying a bearing puller from Harbor Frieght for a little over $30. Worked great. Took old bearings to local bearing supply and got the two of them for around $12. Local MG dealer wanted $30 each!

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks guys,

As others have said the proper tool is best but I've heard that using a Rawl bolt to grip the inner race and then hitting it from the other side also works and is cheaper !! duim.gif

WTF is a Rawl bolt?

An expanding bolt fixing, you must know them by another name ?

see here

• 2 years later...

The inner race fell out on my 850-T3 as nearly all the balls and most of the carrier had departed. I now have nothing to grab hold of or push against to remove the outer race which is stuck fast in the hub. Anyone done one like this before?