just a ramble really

donsgone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first read it, i thought it was meant sarcastically... I just can't believe that someone really feels that way! :blush:
Actually you guys over there are just jealous 'cause you don't know what Real Bikes! are about and
:lol: (rather scary if you look at this stuff as a token for bigger shit :rolleyes: ).

Yes, I would choose Spitfire and the Flying Scotsman. I like it raw.
Didn't we have a topic about this?

YES

yes we had a topic about planes. And yes, there was a topic about liking it raw too:

post-890-1173112426.jpg mmmm

And yes, we had topics about

"visceral, raw, sound, and the way you hold the motor between your knees":

chainsawbike_small.jpg

– yeah, try 24 chainsaws between your knees.

I'm telling you Jaap, if you don't start that 'new models' forum soon, so that we can have some new topics,

we're all going to get terribly dizzy :wacko::lol:

PS video of pull-starting the 24 cylinder knee wobbler

Donsgone has it nailed. Riding a motorcycle is a visceral experience, and the V 11 is a wonderful combination of modern performance and the raw sound and feel that is the essence of motorcycling. I'm 57, been riding for 43 years, and sold a Ducati because the Goose just felt better. Yeah, we risk injury by so much back-patting, but Cycle World still summed it up best: the V 11 Sport is the bike Ogri would ride, and that's fine by me.

PS - The "Highwayman" blurbs have to be classic satire. No one who really believed that crap could write so well, nor would they use, much less be able to spell, "atrocity."

QUOTE (gavo @ Jan 20 2009, 11:14 AM)

QUOTE (tmcafe @ Jan 19 2009, 08:35 AM) Sorry, couldn't resist: "Real Bikers" "Real Rebels"

it must be hard for the highwayman to type with only one free hand.

:bier:
That whole "real motorcycling" thread is a blast :lol:

Actually you guys over there are just jealous 'cause you don't know what Real Bikes! are about and

Yes we do!

Guzzirider used to tell us all about his Fat Boy, or Big Lad, or whatever it was called.

I don't know about the Itchy guy but the Highwayman has been around for a while. I first ran across him about 8 years ago, he was spouting the same line of BS back then. My recollection is that he is dead serious, has absolutely no humor intended and no sense of irony about the crap he constantly excretes onto the 'net. He is really sad, more delusional than most of the people in therapy.

On the other thread, I'm not much on trains but I'd take just about any WWII fighter over a modern plane. My first choice would be a P38 but a Spitfire, BF109, Zero, or about anything else would be more fun then a jet. Yes, this a pretty romantic group, all the pragmatic types are on the Honda boards.

Back to the original topic, Guzzi's, like Harleys, are about things that can't be measured in pounds or millimeters, you feel it or you don't. The Guzzi and the Harley provide an experience that is as much inside my mind as outside.

Lex

I don't know about the Itchy guy but the Highwayman has been around for a while. I first ran across him about 8 years ago, he was spouting the same line of BS back then. My recollection is that he is dead serious, has absolutely no humor intended and no sense of irony about the crap he constantly excretes onto the 'net. He is really sad, more delusional than most of the people in therapy.

On the other thread, I'm not much on trains but I'd take just about any WWII fighter over a modern plane. My first choice would be a P38 but a Spitfire, BF109, Zero, or about anything else would be more fun then a jet. Yes, this a pretty romantic group, all the pragmatic types are on the Honda boards.

Back to the original topic, Guzzi's, like Harleys, are about things that can't be measured in pounds or millimeters, you feel it or you don't. The Guzzi and the Harley provide an experience that is as much inside my mind as outside.

Lex

This confirms that the guy is a wacko either way. The scary part about this regressive fascistoid drivel (I guess there's some kind of shit like this in most nations) is that a bit of that is present on a much larger scale. Also while there's something unique about Harley, no doubt (who knows, one day I may give in) the righteous cowboy crap like highwayman's delirium is like a parasitic growth--or more like a symbiotic relationship, as it feeds on Harley and Harley has been feeding on it as well. Good thing Guzzi isn't plagued by this kind of legend.

As for the plane stuff, I couldn't agree more. I hate flying and never feel secure, screw the statistics. However, a buddy who flies his own airplanes had me join him on several flights around the area, which I was happy to do. Both planes were old trainers (like 1947). Those were the only times I really enjoyed flying, and I felt very comortable, despite the fact that I was cramped like hell in the tiny cockpit.

I guess bikes and airplanes like that feel more like living creatures (what's the plural of Pegasus? :)

This confirms that the guy is a wacko either way. The scary part about this regressive fascistoid drivel (I guess there's some kind of shit like this in most nations) is that a bit of that is present on a much larger scale. Also while there's something unique about Harley, no doubt (who knows, one day I may give in) the righteous cowboy crap like highwayman's delirium is like a parasitic growth--or more like a symbiotic relationship, as it feeds on Harley and Harley has been feeding on it as well. Good thing Guzzi isn't plagued by this kind of legend.

As for the plane stuff, I couldn't agree more. I hate flying and never feel secure, screw the statistics. However, a buddy who flies his own airplanes had me join him on several flights around the area, which I was happy to do. Both planes were old trainers (like 1947). Those were the only times I really enjoyed flying, and I felt very comortable, despite the fact that I was cramped like hell in the tiny cockpit.

I guess bikes and airplanes like that feel more like living creatures (what's the plural of Pegasus? :)

I agree. Also, why doesn't he stick to harley and what he thinks of it. Yes, harley is unique, just like every other brand it has it's own story. But talking bullshit about others than his own, tells me more about his blindness and no room for reflection and understanding of the others. Kind like all the religions have been doing for ages.

I would also like te fly the Messerschmitt Me 262. Next year at my faculty I will have the opportunity to fly in a little jet airplane (forgot the name, shame on me). The pilot will be dong some maneuvers, looping, roll etc.. And after that, I will have the opportunity to take over the controls for like 5 min. :D

Sorry, as a career pilot, I'd take the eurofighter.

And the db5 is ugly. and drives like a pig. and I can't afford one. and if the v12 db7 just drops alittle more in price, I'll tell you first hand why it's a better car!

Anyway, the 82 v8 vantage is the one to have. Unless you're Nick Mason. :D

PS - The "Highwayman" blurbs have to be classic satire. No one who really believed that crap could write so well, nor would they use, much less be able to spell, "atrocity."

Having looked back on the ADVrider site I would have to agree - I thought for a short time The Highwayman might have been one of our own contributors but quickly changed my mind. :P

Great fun though :grin:

Sorry, as a career pilot, I'd take the eurofighter.

And the db5 is ugly. and drives like a pig. and I can't afford one. and if the v12 db7 just drops alittle more in price, I'll tell you first hand why it's a better car!

Anyway, the 82 v8 vantage is the one to have. Unless you're Nick Mason. :D

Good answer, as a none pilot I'd still choose the WW2 plane but can see why the Eurofighter would appeal to you (the same way I imagine a racer would choose a GP bike over a Vincent, Brough etc ).

The DB5 is a pig in a party frock(more like David Browns other products !!) and the Vantage (flawed as it is)is the best "old" Aston.

So what makes us like Guzzi's ?

Did T.E Lawrence decribe it best "A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness" ?