Broken Shift Spring

hgravelpha@aol.com

al, i have no idea who "bonnie" is, i ordered the spring from someone named hank in oklahoma, seemed like a nice enough guy, all i know is when my 2nd stock shifter spring went i had my dealer install the aftermarket spring, i made it about 1500 miles and it snapped again... luckily i was near home every time it happened... i finally "fixed" the problem by trading my '02 lemans for a '00 sport, a gorgeous green beauty... :wub: that puppy has a power commander 3 installed, let me tell you it runs twice as well as my lemans did... i always had a jones on for the red frame sports, i couldn't pass up the trade, i loved my lemans but REALLY love the green sport... and i'm none too sorry to see the last of that friggin' black engine paint... :bier:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of the 'spring project' we are looking for the official nomenclature to describe the three springs consistently.

Does anyone have a parts reference for the 6-speed which names the springs?

Yep Bonnie, that's Hank's bunch in Oklahoma, Performance Racing Springs... or something like that. I just received my two springs from them yesterday.

But I'll wait on doing anything until we see what the final consensus is on what the best replacement is, or one of mine breaks.

al

the spring broke right at the almost 90 degree elbow bend in the spring, same spot as the stock pieces seem to like to break, perhaps that is the point pf maximum stress on the spring, maybe the action itself causes the spring to twist slightly there, slowly weakening it... :huh2:

that suggests that it's design rather than manufacture or material...but why didn't the springs start breaking til 02 models? Is there anything different in the selector mech or box that could contribute to stressing the spring?

Received the springs yesterday and sent the springs to my supplier today. Thanks Doc for the springs. I will send you your springs back once duplicates are made. My supplier will be closed durind xmas week. I should get an answer from him on how to improve the springs by next week. We should have new springs by the beginning of the year.

• 2 years later...
Guest SFGUZZI

I dont get this thread..!!! :huh2:

Why is everyone here talking about shifter springs , when in prior threads the problem was indentified with the spring boss being the wrong size 16mm versus 15mm,

Am I missing something here.....????? :huh2:

I dont get this thread..!!!  :huh2:

Why is everyone here talking about shifter springs , when in prior threads the problem was indentified with the spring boss being the wrong size 16mm versus 15mm,

Am I missing something here.....?????  :huh2:

77989[/snapback]

The problem is the boss is too large and the springs binds & eventually breaks. A larger spring is the most simple & cost effective fix.

Guest SFGUZZI
The problem is the boss is too large and the springs binds & eventually breaks. A larger spring is the most simple & cost effective fix.

77991[/snapback]

Thanks Dan....

yepppp i knew that and i should also look at the date of those threads..2003..

OH MY OH MY...wake me up..>!!!!!!!!!!

:huh2: we may find out come ''spring'' :D

I dont get this thread..!!!  :huh2:

Am I missing something here.....?????  :huh2:

77989[/snapback]

• 4 months later...

My "borrowed time" ended yesterday. Not sure if I'm stuck in first or second; it happened just as I turned onto my home street on the way home yesterday. :D

I need a spring now :homer:

Any news on the new parts?

TIA :mg: