Broken Shift Spring

hgravelpha@aol.com

I don't think this source will go anywhere. That was 2 1/2 years ago I sent a set of springs to Thang. His supplier shyed from the liabilty and I never got my springs back.

Since then, much has come to light about the boss size and specific years more likely affected. There are other threads which deal with this at length as well as other threads that detail the concerns with the earliest gearboxes on the 1999-2001 Sports.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Docc,

I'm sorry about not getting the springs back to you. My supplier never did return them. I thought that I would have returned the new made to order springs to you. I will see if I can get a set around here to send them back to you. I will also check with a new spring supplier for McMaster-Carr to see if they can manufacture a heat treated high tensile steel spring for us. I'm currently in Boston but will be back in my office in 10 days. I will have an answer for you guys in 2 weeks. I know a person locally with a set to send to my supplier. I'm not sure how or what to measure on the spring to determine if it is 15 or 16 mm. What is the good size for the boss? Again, if I can have a small batch made and the cost is minimal, I will send it to anybody with this problem for free with the stipulation that the spring provider nor myself will be liable for any future problem in this area.

Thang

...I need a spring now :homer:

I still have the (unused) spring Carl sent to me - I believe it's US supplied rather than Guzzi OEM - Carl can confirm. I can send it to you if you wish (FOC): PM me an address if you want it - not sure how long mail takes to US.

NB: You also need to have correct pawl arm spring boss (15mm rather than 16mm diam ).

KB :sun:

Docc,

I'm sorry about not getting the springs back to you.  My supplier never did return them.  I thought that I would have returned the new made to order springs to you.  I will see if I can get a set around here to send them back to you.  I will also check with a new spring supplier for McMaster-Carr to see if they can manufacture a heat treated high tensile steel spring for us.  I'm currently in Boston but will be back in my office in 10 days.  I will have an answer for you guys in 2 weeks.  I know a person locally with a set to send to my supplier.  I'm not sure how or what to measure on the spring to determine if it is 15 or 16 mm.  What is the good size for the boss?  Again, if I can have a small batch made and the cost is minimal, I will send it to anybody with this problem for free with the stipulation that the spring provider nor myself will be liable for any future problem in this area.

Thang

93520[/snapback]

Thang,

No problem at all. I am really happy to contribute the springs to the process. My 2000 is not as likely to develop this trouble as the later bikes.

Any effort you can make to help the forum members is most appreciated. I am very glad to see you are still checking in and willing to work on the spring supply! :thumbsup:

Greetings. I'm stuck in third, I know for sure. Or I was until I took the trans cover off yesterday. My spring broke right in the middle of the loop on the long arm. The boss is 16mm. This is an early '02 LeMans.

Was a supply of replacement springs ever established? I would love to get in touch with anyone who knows where to get a replacement.

I am calling around the dealers but its 4th of July weekend so will be a few days before I get a response, then will bearing down on go-time for a big trip.

Thanks for this forum!!!

ps. third is the best gear to be stuck in if you have to pick one.

Erik

Greetings.  I'm stuck in third, I know for sure.  Or I was until I took the trans cover off yesterday.  My spring broke right in the middle of the loop on the long arm.  The boss is 16mm.  This is an early '02 LeMans.

Was a supply of replacement springs ever established?  I would love to get in touch with anyone who knows where to get a replacement.

I am calling around the dealers but its 4th of July weekend so will be a few days before I get a response, then will bearing down on go-time for a big trip.

Thanks for this forum!!! 

ps. third is the best gear to be stuck in if you have to pick one.

Erik

93950[/snapback]

Erik,

ATD closed at 2 yesterday; don't know if they have one anyway.

Call me if interested, tho; I have an extra that you can have for your trip ... as long as you get me one soonest to replace! :race:

Bill

404.808.8486 (M)

Was a supply of replacement springs ever established? I would love to get in touch with anyone who knows where to get a replacement.

93950[/snapback]

Cannon Racecraft in Oklahoma City OK was / is the source for the infamous pawl spring. Make sure you turn down the boss to 15 mm +/-. 405-524-7223

Hope this helps,

Phil

Critical factors were, if I recall, spring and shaft diametre mismatch, causing binding, thence causing fatigue on the tight L bend, which breaks!!

Also worth "dressing" the components with which the spring "interacts". In my gearbox, the metalwork was the usual pressed out finish and quite "sharp".

Thanks to the good folks on this forum (and Wildgoose chase). I sucessfully changed my broken shift spring on my Scura. :grin:

I would like to encourage those of you who are contemplating a change of the shift spring to go ahead and give it a shot. I ended up removing more than I actually needed to (You only need to remove the allen screws from the side plate), but the experience was worth it.

I'm pretty sure it was the oem spring that gave way (just shy of 4K miles on the clock!). I replaced it with a spring from Cannon Racecraft. The replacement spring seems the same size wire, but the coil formation (that fits over the boss) is different in that the coils are slightly staggered.

Replaced the gearbox lube with Amsoil synthetic gear lube (80W90) and immediately experienced smoother shifts

I'm another notch higher on my personal "Guzziology" and won't be getting a bodge point just yet. :bier:

Thanks again for all the helpful posts,

Bill :ninja:

Yesterday as I was getting off of the freeway, it didn't want to shift down from sixth gear at first. I toed the shift lever a few times and then it shifted just fine down into first gear. When I took off, it shifted up into second gear fine, but would go no further. I was able limp it into a truck stop and call someone to trailer it home for me.

Two questions. First, this is on a 2003 LeMans. I was able to shift it up and down more than once. Is it still possible that it is still the infamous pawl spring problem?

Secondly, here on this forum, it has been stated that you should have the transmission in neutral. How do I get it into neutral at this point?

I have over 27000 miles on her so far and that seems to be a bit further than most of the failures that I have been reading about. I thought the spring problem was supposedly taken care of before the 2003 model year.

TIA for any and all advice.

Hello Dan,

My '02 Scura was stuck in first or second. I could not get it in neutral. If you still have the ability to shift, any problem you have is NOT the shift pawl spring.

Having said that, there are internals inthe gearing on the sideplate that mandate a close inspection prior to reassembly. To me, this was not especially difficult, but do make sure everything "appears" to be in the correct.

There is an engagement dog on a small piece that rides next to the sideplate on the forward gear that must go in the squared notch on the gear selector prior to reassembly. This is gobble talk from someone that doesn't know the proper nomenclature, my apologies.

Good luck with your problem.

:ninja:

Yesterday as I was getting off of the freeway, it didn't want to shift down from sixth gear at first. I toed the shift lever a few times and then it shifted just fine down into first gear. When I took off, it shifted up into second gear fine, but would go no further. I was able limp it into a truck stop and call someone to trailer it home for me.

Two questions. First, this is on a 2003 LeMans. I was able to shift it up and down more than once. Is it still possible that it is still the infamous pawl spring problem?

Secondly, here on this forum, it has been stated that you should have the transmission in neutral. How do I get it into neutral at this point?

I have over 27000 miles on her so far and that seems to be a bit further than most of the failures that I have been reading about. I thought the spring problem was supposedly taken care of before the 2003 model year.

TIA for any and all advice.

94682[/snapback]

Hey Dan,

Doesn't sound likely that it is the spring. The spring holds the pawl against the selector assembly. If broken it will not shift at all. It is more likely accumulation of metal paste that makes the shift pawl "sticky" and it will not return to center after shifting. Sometimes this can be confirmed by wiggling the shifter and seeing if you can get it to shift into another gear. If this is the case, the fix is easy. Pull the cover and clean everything. Replace the lube. Redline Shockproof Heavy works well in mine and is recommended by many on this board. Hope this helps.