Real classy!

pete roper

I think there are two lessons here. One for retailers and one for consumers.

For retailers - theft of other people's ideas, while inherently bad to start with, can also cause damage to customer relationships. However, some infringements are unintentional and forgivable. I have had a few experiences where a copyright violator was able to demonstrate that they copied a previous copy, which they thought was in the public domain. While the possibility of this being the case here seems small, it does remain a possibility.

For consumers - we "vote" with our spending. I think it's really cool when independent people come up with useful products that help their customers in some way - and they can at least make a little "beer-money" from their efforts. I don't mind paying a bit more to support innovation - but I have to be aware of the innovation first.

I am now going to unabashedly endorse all the independents that I have purchased something from in the last 3 months during my Scura-project:

1. Pete Roper - no need to say more.
  2. Ghezzi-Brian - they make a whole bunch of stuff for V11s, including Carbon Fiber belly pans, which many people were having a hard time finding. Brian hooked us up with a group discount for forum members for a short time.
  3. Marc Parnes - this guy is a machinist, who makes a bunch of specialty tools for all kinds of motorcycles. I bought his wheel balancer, which costs about twice as much as some others. But the care and precision in manufacturing is just amazing. It it so sensitive that I am sure my wheels are perfectly balanced, which, if I'm not mistaken, can prolong the life of wheel bearings. He also makes all sorts of adapters for different types of wheels, so if some other unusual motorcycle shows up in my garage someday, I think I'll be covered.
  4. Mitch Patrie - this guy makes the mojolever and mojoblocks that fit the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Tire Changer. Without these blocks, it is a wheel-destroyer, not a tire changer.

At the risk of sounding all "American-pride," this sentence in the US Constitution was an incredible innovation that laid the foundation for our current understanding of copyright and patent rules globally:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

This topic is about Pete Roper's exclusive right, for a limited time, to his discovery (invention).

• Like 1

What's odd is that they are an established ,respected business in the community and with such a small market everyone who's owned a Guzzi for more then 6 months,knows that Pete designed and made these.How much could they make on each piece that's worth hurting their reputation? Odd,...

Sorry Pete hate to see this as you've helped me and countless other owners for decades for no other reason other than being a good human being.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I have just read this thread and wondered whether there was any update.  I have a V11 Le Mans, live in the UK, and am interested in the plate.

Thanks

Rob

• 7 months later...

I certainly don't want retribution. As I Said on WG there is more than enough shit in the world at the moment!

It's just how easy would it to have been to phone me? My number is lazer etched on all of my plates along with my company logo. They would of had one of each type as they are perfect doppelgängers.

I was never going to get wealthy making them and selling them I can assure you. In fact I give more money to the Salvation Army every Christmas than I make on the plates :D.

I was dwelling on this as I was driving over to Wagga Wagga to pick up my Griso. You know what is wonderful? This evening I'll be back in my little village sitting on the verandah of the top pub. I'll quaff a few ales and then Jude and I accompanied by my daughter will join our trivia team and we'll thrash our deadly enemies the Double X team and indulge in a lot of furious gloating and good hearted piss taking before we all adjourn home where Erika has made a huge salad and Pesto pasta. We'll sit on the verandah watching the fireflies and have a couple of quiet wines or a scotch nightcap before we turn in........

And the plagiarists will STILL be in Huddersfield! :D

Life's good!

Pete

Pete - Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But was there ever a satisfactory outcome to this? I only ask because I will soon be wanting to buy a few parts for my Scura, and it might affect where I get them from, if you catch my drift.

At the end of the day it makes no difference. When someone approached the plagiarisers they were told that they 'Don't respond to Internet rumours' or some such bollocks so I just say @#!#$# them and the horse they rode in on. As it is I've moved on and am far more involved and interested in rectifying and sorting out the 8V motor's problems.

I haven't got enough life left to waste worrying about lowlife thieving assholes. As I said, having to live in Huddersfield is punishment enough.

Pete

I don't have a plate, but I do want one and plan to get one hopefully very soon. I know I would only buy a "Roper plate" as it was thought out and tested by a man that knows his V11's. But more importantly by a man that goes out of his way to help us all keep our crankie machines going. I don't know Pete at all but I do know his posts have helped me sort my machine, if Petes was twice the price of the knock off I would still want to support him.

Anyone who wants to organize a group buy and get back to me? Fine. I'm not doing another run off my own bat though. It ties up a lot of capital and the return is miserly.

Pete

You should make & market accessories for BMW and sell them for 10 Xs production cost and get rich. This will aid ($) in  your love for MG bikes