rossi46

Hi, I dropped the sump for the first time today, replaced the filter(put some oil in it first)- hand tightened and installed a hose clamp for good measure, re filled with oil but the oil light won't go out! I only ran the bike for a few seconds turned it of then tried again but still no joy!  it sounds normal but don't want to risk it, I guess I'm dropping the sump again tomorrow any ideas?? thanks

if you're saying the oil light came on AFTER you changed the oil, then it must have something to do with your oil change.

I had a similar thing happen on my EV when the the pan gasket was installed upside on the spacer (the V11 doesn't have a spacer but you might check the gasket).  The other things might be to check for obstructions and to replace the filter. What filter did you get?  It might be incorrect or defective.

Now if the light was on before you changed the oil, then you likely have a problem with the oiling system.  

bike was running great before the oil change, I used a ufi filter, i checked that the rubber seal came off with the old filter, cleaned the screen and filled to the full mark on the dipstick, I know that the light would stay on a little longer- usually goes out straight away- but after 5-8 seconds i was worried!!

Without looking at the parts (meaning I am not sure), if you dropped the pan I assume you replaced the pan gasket. If you put it on wrong it may be affecting oil flow.

It does not sound right. Even not pre-filling the filter should have only made a small difference in the oil light going out. 5 - 8 seconds should have had the light going out. I would be concerned. Check the work you did, it does not take much running without oil pressure to destroy a plain bearing motor.

Remove the oil pressure switch and start the engine . Oil should PUMP out of the hole within 6 seconds . If it does it will spray out so watch where it is pointing .

If it doesn't then it is time to go back into the engine , you may not have the gaskets indexed correctly with the parts .

Removing the oil pressure switch will allow the air to be purged from the oil circuit in the engine . This will ( if it works ) keep you from the work of removing the pan . 

Sounds more like a cross threaded oil filter, missing or skewed oil filter gasket, or filter not flush to the engine. I would not start the bike until all work was checked over.

All was good before, so you are loosing pressure somewhere.

Did you fill the filter and let it set then refill again until you were sure it was full?  When I do mine the oil takes time to actually fill the filter as it works its way through the media.  

Sounds more like a cross threaded oil filter, missing or skewed oil filter gasket, or filter not flush to the engine. I would not start the bike until all work was checked over.

All was good before, so you are loosing pressure somewhere.

Big thanks to all who helped, managed to tackle it today, went back over my work, managed to save the oil-carefully filled new filter(lucky I had one) re-filled and fired her up- light out almost instantly- haven't ridden her but she idles nice in the garage- no light -no leaks! did my first valve check yesterday too :thumbsup: having a celebratory beer I need one :drink: cheers

I wonder what you fixed? 

While I wonder that , too, I think I'll just go straight to the celebratory beer as well!

You don't need to ask me twice! :bier:

Even with a hose clamp, I would be sure to turn the filter one and one eighth turns past the point of first gasket contact.