Looking at a 2000 V11 Sport

Antiquar

Hey all. New user here, though perhaps some of you might recognize me from AdvRider.

Anyway, I have never owned a Guzzi, but I would very much like one to replace my R1100R--a good bike but one I am just tired of.

I'm looking at a silver 2000 V11 Sport near me. It has had two prior owners, and has only 8200 miles. The body work seems to be in excellent condition save for a couple scratches. I've asked the owner about the con rod bolts and gearbox shift sleeve recalls, but he doesn't know if they were attended to. The asking price is $4200.

I am very tempted by the bike but I am worried about the recall and general lack of miles. In 16 years a bike should have more than 8200 miles, it is barely broken in. Would you all be wary of this? Is there any way to verify if the recall work had been done? The recall bulletins are pretty serious.

Relatively few were affected by the rod recall. And the gearbox recall was issued in 2003, so most V11 were still with their first owner and were seen to.

Does it run? Have you ridden it?

Thanks for the replies.

Relatively few were affected by the rod recall. And the gearbox recall was issued in 2003, so most V11 were still with their first owner and were seen to.

Does it run? Have you ridden it?

It does run, and seems to run well, but obviously I am not intimately familiar with any trouble signs/sounds on this bike.

I haven't ridden it yet unfortunately. I've test ridden a newer CARC Guzzi and liked it compared to my BMW, but I understand those and the V11s are different machines.

Compared to your BMW, I think you find it "livelier" and the motor much more engaging.

You should expect some fettling - mostly simple things involving the charging system and relays, and especially suspension set-up. Fun stuff!

When you ride it, it should shift positively up and down through all the gears without "false neutrals." I understand Moto Guzzi North America can verify the recall completions. In fact, isn't there a website to logon and verify those actions?

One can either call Piaggio on the East coast or go to any MG dealer and they can run the VIN. You can also call Moto International and they can run the VIN, they did for me. The transmission recall is still in effect. It is called "flexible hose" which can be confusing.

One can either call Piaggio on the East coast or go to any MG dealer and they can run the VIN. You can also call Moto International and they can run the VIN, they did for me. The transmission recall is still in effect. It is called "flexible hose" which can be confusing.

Yeah that is a good idea. I sent the owner this site http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-motoguzzi_en.htmlasking him to look up any pending recalls for his VIN. We'll see what he says.

Compared to your BMW, I think you find it "livelier" and the motor much more engaging.

You should expect some fettling - mostly simple things involving the charging system and relays, and especially suspension set-up. Fun stuff!

When you ride it, it should shift positively up and down through all the gears without "false neutrals." I understand Moto Guzzi North America can verify the recall completions. In fact, isn't there a website to logon and verify those actions?

Livelier is something I am hoping for. :) Both my BMW and Triumph are capable, (relatively) smooth, gentlemanly machines. But sometimes you want something meaner.

I'm not averse to some wrenching, in fact I enjoy it. As long as the wrenching to riding ratio is not *too* high. 

There is going to be a lot of wrenching at first. Be prepared. But once sorted the V11 Sports are really really great bikes.

if this bike is calling out to you, you are most likely the type of rider it was built for. as others have said, there will be some fits and niggles, but mostly minor and the reward is great. price wise, that's about tops but still fair imo, depending on condition. look at other components on the bike so you get a sense the mileage is correct. one of the "fits and niggles" is a speedo and cable/drive with less than stellar reliability.  Welcome, and keep us posted. Pics if you got 'em!

You'll know right away to suspect inaccurate original mileage when you take it for a ride.  These speedos (and the drive mechanism) were quirky and prone to failure and if it's not operating properly, it could've been that way for some time. Be very suspicious...no matter what the owner tells you (oh that? It just quit working a 100 or so miles ago)!

And the Spine frames are very different than the CARC bikes; as you can see by my ride list (I only list my Italian bikes), I have both.  My 1200 Sport is a relatively refined sport tourer; the V11 is very retro and draws a lot of attention.  To me the V11 feels like a much older design, with a few newer upgrades, like fuel injection.

Question: what upgrades (exhaust, crossover, suspension, etc.) does this bike have?  This can greatly increase the value.  There was a Café Sport on CL up in Santa Clarita for like $4k a few weeks ago...had like 11k miles, but that is a much more rare and desirable bike, with the factory Ohlins suspension and CF bits.

You'll know right away to suspect inaccurate original mileage when you take it for a ride.  These speedos (and the drive mechanism) were quirky and prone to failure and if it's not operating properly, it could've been that way for some time. Be very suspicious...no matter what the owner tells you (oh that? It just quit working a 100 or so miles ago)!

And the Spine frames are very different than the CARC bikes; as you can see by my ride list (I only list my Italian bikes), I have both.  My 1200 Sport is a relatively refined sport tourer; the V11 is very retro and draws a lot of attention.  To me the V11 feels like a much older design, with a few newer upgrades, like fuel injection.

Question: what upgrades (exhaust, crossover, suspension, etc.) does this bike have?  This can greatly increase the value.  There was a Café Sport on CL up in Santa Clarita for like $4k a few weeks ago...had like 11k miles, but that is a much more rare and desirable bike, with the factory Ohlins suspension and CF bits.

Good point about the speedo. I will check for that. I have my Tiger for distance and touring, I want this bike to be short day rides and light commuting duty.

It seems pretty much stock. I am mostly in favor of that. I think $4200 is a bit much to ask for, so if I pull the trigger to make an offer I will start more like $3700.

I think you're looking at this bike, which has been for sale at that price for a while:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5354629286.html

For comparison purposes:

My Scura sat for 12 years didn't even have 200 miles on it. Literally, the break-in service had not even been done. That was only about a year ago and it has 9,000 miles on it now. I have only just recently noticed an oil leak in the timing cover that I could not fix just by re-torquing the bolts. I was worried about all manner of problems from sitting, but other than a sticky throttle return linkage and a small oil-seepage that was corrected by tightening bolts, I had no issues at all.

My LeMans had a broken odometer and an uncertain, multiple-owner, past. She's been giving me some persistent challenges. However, I enjoy the process (most of the time) and I've been riding it a lot.

Compared to your price range, I paid quite a bit more for the Scura (dealer) and a bit less for the LeMans (private party). I'd guess the condition of the silver sport is between the starting points of my two V11 - so it seems reasonable.

In retrospect, I should have tested the oil pressure on the LeMans before buying it. I now own an external oil pressure gauge and would be happy to lend it (I live about 50 miles from that silver sport). Or you could probably rent/borrow an oil pressure gauge from a local shop.

Here are a two easy things to look at as age/wear indicators:

1. Tire date codes: If the tires are old, then you can be more confident in the low miles (and add new tires to your budget)
  2. Footpegs and foot levers: If these appear worn down from boots, then the bike has a lot of miles on it. If you can't see any wear at all, then the low mileage claim is probably true.

2 years ago I paid 6K for a 2001 Sport with 4700 miles.

I paid too much, but common sense left my body when the seller fired it up. I was a goner.

The story was that it had been bought new and stored indoors for many years. I believed the story as the bike was impeccable, even the plastic switchgear was perfect. It was essential a brand new 12 year old bike.

I dumped another 2K into it: tires, exhaust, fairing, etc etc. I also spend an inordinate amount of time getting it running properly.

So I am into it for 8K+. Who cares? I love it, and you can't take it with you.

I paid too much, but common sense left my body when the seller fired it up. I was a goner.

The story was that it had been bought new and stored indoors for many years. I believed the story as the bike was impeccable, even the plastic switchgear was perfect. It was essential a brand new 12 year old bike.

I dumped another 2K into it: tires, exhaust, fairing, etc etc. I also spend an inordinate amount of time getting it running properly.

been there... done that.... same conclusion :thumbsup:

I think you're looking at this bike, which has been for sale at that price for a while:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5354629286.html

For comparison purposes:

My Scura sat for 12 years didn't even have 200 miles on it. Literally, the break-in service had not even been done. That was only about a year ago and it has 9,000 miles on it now. I have only just recently noticed an oil leak in the timing cover that I could not fix just by re-torquing the bolts. I was worried about all manner of problems from sitting, but other than a sticky throttle return linkage and a small oil-seepage that was corrected by tightening bolts, I had no issues at all.

My LeMans had a broken odometer and an uncertain, multiple-owner, past. She's been giving me some persistent challenges. However, I enjoy the process (most of the time) and I've been riding it a lot.

Compared to your price range, I paid quite a bit more for the Scura (dealer) and a bit less for the LeMans (private party). I'd guess the condition of the silver sport is between the starting points of my two V11 - so it seems reasonable.

In retrospect, I should have tested the oil pressure on the LeMans before buying it. I now own an external oil pressure gauge and would be happy to lend it (I live about 50 miles from that silver sport). Or you could probably rent/borrow an oil pressure gauge from a local shop.

Here are a two easy things to look at as age/wear indicators:

1. Tire date codes: If the tires are old, then you can be more confident in the low miles (and add new tires to your budget)
  2. Footpegs and foot levers: If these appear worn down from boots, then the bike has a lot of miles on it. If you can't see any wear at all, then the low mileage claim is probably true.

That's the bike! Very generous re: the oil pressure gauge--I might take you up on that. Funny, I live 50 miles in the other direction (LA/Hollywood) from the bike. Seems like there are a lot of California boys on these boards.

Haha. I always thought the V11s looked very attractive but I didn't consider actually getting one until I heard that glorious engine--it almost sounds more like a WWII Merlin engine than a motorcycle. 

I have to say you folks are very convincing. I'll check out the bike and think on it, but my heart is telling me to just buy the damned thing.

• Like 1