Timing Hole Plug

bulkbiker

Hi All

Just got the V11 Scura home to find that the rubber plug that covers the timing cover hole has come out during the ride back and covered my boot and the rear tyre in oil.. nice..

Wondered why it handled like a pig!

Has anyone had this happen to them before ?i .e. should I try and get two new plugs so I have a spare to hand in case it happens again?

Thanks

Mark

If there is actually oil coming from there I wouldn't be worried about the plug. There shouldn't be any oil on the flywheel. Take a look at your crankcase vent hose.

Or just use a cork for a plug...

when I bought the Tenni new. The first oil change was done at the dealer. They over filled it and it blew oil out. It's been so long I cant remember where it came out. If you just had it serviced, I would follow that up. Shouldn't be any oil in there, and I'm not sure why the plug would come out, unless it wasn't put in correctly.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input.. when you guys say it its obvious there shouldn't be oil coming out..

The bike hasn't been ridden since it was serviced and had a new clutch over a year ago so will have a good hunt around to see where the oil came from.

I'm guessing the plug wasn't put back in properly.. also lost one of the plugs on the seat where the single seat cover screws in... have looked on the microfiche but can't see a part number for that.. does anyone know if they are available?

Cheers and thanks all

Mark

Hi mate I see your in the UK-try motomecca-gutsibits or stein dinse (germany)

part number 7 below?

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

as others have said no oil from there, give it a good clean up ,check oil level try and see where its from- could be something simple

Yep thanks for that called Motomecca this morning and new bung on the way.. ordered 2 just in case.. needs a damn good clean anyway as it's been sitting around for a while..will be investigating oil levels etc later on today.

Thanks again

M

If there is oil coming from that hole, my guess is the seal ring between crank shaft and fly wheel leaks and puts oil air pressure in fly wheel compartment. The air pressure made the plug pop out.

More than one way to skin a cat! Courtesy of czakky:

IMG_7185.jpg

Ahhh, I like mine aged at least 15 years....

uuh, the Girls & Guzzis thread is in another subforum. :whistle:

• Like 1

ok got a new plug and realised that the oil is coming out from somewhere at the top of the engine then dripping down... big clean up today to try and find the source.. the bike hadn't been ridden for about 7 years although had a lot of work done in 2015..including single  plate clutch replacement with a twin. Any further idea of where its coming from.. new to these so any input much appreciated.

Thanks again 

Mark

Mark, just had the same thing happened to my old Greenie, the oil was everywhere, turned out to be the big breather hose that goes from the top of the crankcase to the spine frame at the steering head, it had split at the top end, £11 from Gutsibits.