Champagne wishes...

Scud

Just based upon how Goofman's 1200SPORT absolutely hemorrhaged oil from a leaky valve cover (I know it's a different motor),  I would expect oil to be pouring/pumping into the valve/rocker area. Why isn't it ?

I thought it might flow more oil too, but I have no experience to compare against. It's still cold, but the oil was definitely flying. My phone case has oil splatter from taking the video and there was oil spray on the garage floor.  Probably less than a minute of total run time like that.

I believe the pressurized oil only goes up into the rocker arm pins, then it oozes out and sort of flows and flings its way around the rest of the head.

Hey, Tim. I'd expect more oil, as well. On the older Guzzis, I know that you need to be careful to ensure that the correct length bolts are used to attach the rocker shafts, or oil flow will be blocked. I see no reason why the V11-era bikes would be any different, so it would be worth checking to see if these bolts have been swapped out. As I recall, the correct length is 14mm, but you could easily confirm on one of your other bikes.

Hope you find the cause. Bike looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Shaun

Yes, it *does* look fantastic. :thumbsup:  :grin:  I've never run one with the valve covers off, either. Does it look like the left side oil flow is the same as the right? I don't suppose a right side rocker arm is grooved over the valve and giving you a false reading with the feeler gauge? 

Oil volume looks about the same on both sides. In the video, you can see oil accumulating on the cast part that holds the rocker arms. There was about the same amount of oil splatter on the floor on both sides of the bike.

All the parts appear to be original and correct, including the bolts that secure the rocker arm shafts. This was a low (12,000 mile) motor from a crashed bike - so I assumed it was running well at the time of the crash. Other than carbon deposits on the combustion chamber, the heads looked new inside - no discoloration from heat, no sign of rounding on any nut or bolt.

I guess I could take the RH rocker arms off and inspect the surfaces, verify the pushrods are straight, and I could try tighter valve clearances to see if that changes the noise. That might be tonight's project...

Sooo.... pushrods are straight, they make a nice popping sound when coming out of the lifters. There is a little worn spot on the rocker for the RH exhaust valve. This causes a .001" difference in measured clearance. Measured as shown, I get .008" but if I insert the gauge at 90 degrees from the picture it feels more like .007"  This is interesting... but was not enough to change the noise I'm hearing.

IMG_6156.jpg    IMG_6157.jpg

Now I'm feeling stuck. I'm concerned that there may be an internal problem. Maybe I should haul it over to the dealer and pay for a diagnosis?

I may have to push her in the corner for a time-out while I focus attention elsewhere.  My ridiculously reliable and un-fussy K75s needs an oil change... the Husky needs some attention before an upcoming mountain adventure... the truck needs some love... and then there is a Greenie with a different sort of puzzle waiting to be solved... and this is prime riding season...  and there are rideable bikes on call... in fact, I feel a night-time canyon-raid coming on...

... in fact, I feel a night-time canyon-raid coming on...

There's the *answer* right there . . .

It was. I feel better. And I draped my riding gear over the Champagne LeMans to shame her.  :bbblll:

Can you try running the engine with the RH pushrods removed?

This may help you to know if the tapping sound is related to the cam/valve gear or piston/rings/bearings.

It will need quite a bit of throttle with the LH cylinder doing all the work. You can't remove the RH spark plug during this test, as air noise is loud, and will drown out the sounds you are trying to trace.

Scud, it's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like there is a dimple or something on the rocker face. That ain't rat. The second question to me would be why is it there? 

I'd catch up on my other maintenance chores and ruminate on it a bit. The *last* thing I'd do is take it to a dealer and have that kid that cross threads your spark plugs trouble shoot it.  :rasta:

There is a flat spot on the rocker face and I can feel a little lip with my fingernail. It's kind of hard to see and I had to get the light *just right* to show it. This causes the .001" measurement difference - but what caused the wear in the first place?

I thought the fuel pump was going to be last hurdle. 

Yes, take care of other stuff...  go riding...  clean the garage...  ruminate...   :huh2:

I'd get it resurfaced or put a new/different one on there. Not knowing the history of the engine.. maybe someone gapped it way too wide and ran it that way a while? Maybe the cam is starting to wipe a lobe? Or already has? :o

I'll take door number 1.  :luigi:

Bit of a long shot here Scud, and I don't doubt your impressive Guzzi surgical skills, but might you have a loose nut or washer or bolt floating around in the sump somewhere?

Have you tried to drain the oil since hearing the noise to see if any metal bits show up?  Perhaps a quick oil change, check the level again and see if that changes perceptibly the noise level.

Starting with simpler items first before suggesting a full tear down...

Night time canyon raid sounds like a good way to let the brain work on auto pilot and solve the issue by itself as well!  Good luck!

I doubt that it's a floating thing because the noise is always there and it keeps pace with the RPM. Something is moving and something else is not. Noise=wear.

I do have the rocker arms from the engine that Joe was getting ready to rebuild. I'll certainly try a rocker swap, oil pressure gauge, and oil inspection before pulling the engine.

I seriously thought I would finish this bike this weekend. The fuel pump is not leaking anymore, so at least there's been some progress. 

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming. I really do not want do a full tear down - but if I do, it will be another first. I've never rebuilt a whole engine before.