Throttle Position Sensor- need some pics

Jazzamoto

By any chance would anyone have any pics of the inside of a Marelli PF3C TPS. In an attempt to clean mine I pried the back plate off and the interior bits (spring etc) all went flying! It appears to be clean and shows as being good using the Guzzidiag diagram feature. I need to get it back together but so far have failed the intelligence test. How is the spring located and how do I get the rotor (If that's what it's called) back to it's original position?

Thanks!

John

10 thumbs and 1 eye

Are you supposed to take it apart like that to clean it?

That's what the forums say. Although having seen the insides I can't imagine what would be cleanable. Then again, the forums also say I should be able to clean the terminals on the ignition switch which requires pressing down on three indent tabs for access to the terminals which is a little tough to do if you only have two hands - but that's another issue. At any rate, tomorrow I'll try to put the rotor in the proper place which should help me determine how the spring should be set (there are two possible configurations) and go from there.

Thanks Dave! Hope things are going well In Portlandia.

The spring winds it back to the closed throttle position.

Do you have some images of the insides? :pic:

Was it dirty or greasy or corroded inside?

docc, it's perfectly clean. One thing I noticed is that the shape of the sensor housing doesn't conform to the circular shape of the throttle body so there's an open gap between the two. Previous owner had filled the gap with ATV gasket sealant. I'll do the same.

Roy, looks like two possible positions to set the spring so I'll put the rotor in place and see which spring position will allow full rotation. Thanks guys!

They're not cheap, they're sensible and they're not supposed to be opened and sprayed with anything. There's so much bullshit spread via forums, this TPS cleaning myth is a typical one.

BTW, do not fill anything with anywhat. That's not sealing, that's humbug.

• Like 1

I don't like the gap either. It seems like a perfect little well for dirt and water to collect and sit up against the shaft seal. Or more likely get past the seal and act as a nice grinding compound for the shaft and throttle body.

I've been meaning to seal it up with something but not sure what. Maybe make a very thin stainless steel plate to fit between the TPS and TB?