Front Brakes

cash1000

Cash , you have solved your problem . The piston has to retract enough to allow fluid to return to the reservoir . If not , you will be using the master cylinder to jack to clamp the caliper and not release the pressure .  

Adjust the screw as I recommended earlier and you will correct your problem . As far as the front brake lever adjustment you need to do this with the knob on the lever .

• Like 1

Where is this "hot expanding fluid" master cylinder screw adjustment?

I think this is referring to the adjustment screw on the lever, which actuates the plunger. If you screw it in too much, you reduce the free-play, and can end up not allowing fluid back in. I had that problem on the clutch side a while ago. The lever went rock hard and the clutch started slipping - then I backed that screw out and got some free-play back. Same principle with the brakes - but worse potential consequences (lock-up brakes vs slipping clutch).

If that's not what it is, then there's an adjustment I don't know about yet.

Did the same thing on the back brake and wrecked the slave cylinder seals.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I once spent hours trying to bleed a brake, turned out the seal was stuck to the piston after I had pushed it back to fit new pads. The piston could not slide through the seal to take up the adjustment.  Instead it just moved back and forth as I pumped the lever, as it returned back it left a gap between the pad and the disc so when I pulled the lever it only moved up to touch the disc then when I released the lever the seal pulled the piston back again.  You could actually see the piston and pad moving to and fro.  I had some braking and a very spongy lever which felt like air but was just the piston taking up the gap.  Of course don't forget there should be a little retraction of the piston just not so much as I had.

Sometimes if you look into the brake reservoir as you let the lever out you will see a little swirl in the fluid as the tiny hole is uncovered by the piston.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

If you are extending / cleaning the caliper pistons and pushing them back into their bores , good . Reinstall everything and bleed the brakes . Then , raise the front wheel and pull the front brake lever and release . the front wheel should spin with no drag .  

If it does not spin , break one bleeder screw and see if the wheel turns . If not , do this to the other caliper and see what happens. If there is still drag or no change , the calipers are sticking.  

If the front wheel spins after releasing one or both caliper bleed screws , either the front brake hose is bad or the front brake master cylinder is bad . 

Thanks again for describing this test. After cleaning the pistons and performing the above test, the brakes are still dragging - not spinning freely. So I guess that means it's time for a rebuild kit... 

It's not easy to find seals for these Brembo P4 30/34mm 4-piston calipers. I found a kit on eBay in the UK that fits a 1995 Ducati 900SS (same brakes as V11). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Supersport-900-900SS-Superlight-1995-Brembo-front-brake-caliper-seal-kit-/161086784313?hash=item2581854339:g:1gwAAMXQAEFSC8nk&vxp=mtr

That's gonna cost $70 and take 3 weeks. Anybody know a US-source?

If you are extending / cleaning the caliper pistons and pushing them back into their bores , good . Reinstall everything and bleed the brakes . Then , raise the front wheel and pull the front brake lever and release . the front wheel should spin with no drag .  

If it does not spin , break one bleeder screw and see if the wheel turns . If not , do this to the other caliper and see what happens. If there is still drag or no change , the calipers are sticking.  

If the front wheel spins after releasing one or both caliper bleed screws , either the front brake hose is bad or the front brake master cylinder is bad . 

Thanks again for describing this test. After cleaning the pistons and performing the above test, the brakes are still dragging - not spinning freely. So I guess that means it's time for a rebuild kit... 

It's not easy to find seals for these Brembo P4 30/34mm 4-piston calipers. I found a kit on eBay in the UK that fits a 1995 Ducati 900SS (same brakes as V11). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Supersport-900-900SS-Superlight-1995-Brembo-front-brake-caliper-seal-kit-/161086784313?hash=item2581854339:g:1gwAAMXQAEFSC8nk&vxp=mtr

That's gonna cost $70 and take 3 weeks. Anybody know a US-source?

I linked this in the "Wheels Off maintenance Checklist" :thumbsup:

I've been struggling with my LeMans' dragging brakes for a little while. A week ago, I swapped the calipers for a used set I had - but they were dragging too.

So I figured I'd pop the pistons out and do a serious cleaning. I made this little tool out of a block of wood block so I could pop out one piston at a time with compressed air.

IMG_6982.jpg

Here's what I did:

• Piston in Ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green for a couple minutes.
  • Wipe out open cylinder and seal with paper towel.
  • Reinstall piston (using just a bit of brake fluid as lube)
  • Repeat for other three pistons.

Six of the eight cylinders had visible debris in them. All the seals released a bit of dirt when I wiped them with the paper towel.

Now the wheel turns freely and the feel is vastly improved.

• Like 2

I've been struggling with my LeMans' dragging brakes for a little while. A week ago, I swapped the calipers for a used set I had - but they were dragging too.

So I figured I'd pop the pistons out and do a serious cleaning. I made this little tool out of a block of wood block so I could pop out one piston at a time with compressed air.

IMG_6982.jpg

Here's what I did:

• Piston in Ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green for a couple minutes.
  • Wipe out open cylinder and seal with paper towel.
  • Reinstall piston (using just a bit of brake fluid as lube)
  • Repeat for other three pistons.

Six of the eight cylinders had visible debris in them. All the seals released a bit of dirt when I wiped them with the paper towel.

Now the wheel turns freely and the feel is vastly improved.

May only be a short term fix. I have had an issue on my Breva 750 rear brake. I would extend the pisiton and clean, exercise and reinstall, but after a few months it would bind again.

I got serous and had it all apart last week. The wiper seal had perished, disintegrated and gone bar some residue. Thoroughly cleaned and a new seal kit installed and all is well.

Why oh why Breva 750 rear seal kits are available, but V11 rear are not illudes me.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The exact dimensions are not essential, I just started with whatever block I had that seemed close enough and cut it without measuring. But here are the measurements of the final product:

70mm x 37mm x 20mm.  The step thickness is 7mm (13mm cut away from the 20mm side) to allow one piston out.

After measuring, I "promoted" it from the wood block box to the tool box. I think it will be handy for simple cleaning too - to work one piston at a time.