Yet another crossover question

Yam350

"With all the speculation about different cams, it looks like a crossover might be pretty important by comparison."

Exhaust systems have an enormous effect on engine performance.  BUT, it needs to be matched and work with the piston dome shape, valve size, cam profile and fuel injection mapping to achieve the desired results.  And the big ringer, meet the ever restrictive EPA pollution/noise standards and still be COST EFFECTIVE for the manufacturer. How long does it take to stamp out and weld a standard cross over compared to cutting, matching and welding a custom cross over? Time is money for the manufacturer.

The standard exhaust systems on our bikes are pretty much a big compromise.  And as much as I love my bike, our engines are pretty close to being prehistoric by todays standards.

"With all the speculation about different cams, it looks like a crossover might be pretty important by comparison."

Exhaust systems have an enormous effect on engine performance.  BUT, it needs to be matched and work with the piston dome shape, valve size, cam profile and fuel injection mapping to achieve the desired results.  And the big ringer, meet the ever restrictive EPA pollution/noise standards and still be COST EFFECTIVE for the manufacturer. How long does it take to stamp out and weld a standard cross over compared to cutting, matching and welding a custom cross over? Time is money for the manufacturer.

The standard exhaust systems on our bikes are pretty much a big compromise.  And as much as I love my bike, our engines are pretty close to being prehistoric by todays standards.

I believe this is all true, but the engine on this bike is really one of its greatest assets.  It is so "mechanical" and provides so much of the character of the bike that it would be boring without it.  

It really isn't all that underpowered either.  The new Thruxton R doesn't have that much more power and it is decades ahead in design, it is almost soulless in its delivery.  No saying I don't want one though:)  Would never be a replacement for my V11, just a companion. 

Anyone who is running a stock exhaust really should upgrade as it wakes the bike up and provides all those glorious notes.

• Like 1

And as much as I love my bike, our engines are pretty close to being prehistoric by todays standards.

The engine is the allure to me. I've had all sorts of "modern" Guzzis, from the V700 to the Norge. Big block, small block, 2V, 4V, had em all. Loved every last one of them. I love the Mighty Scura the mostest, though.. :grin:

• Like 3

I left my Scura exhaust stock. It is heavy and stealthy. The carbon fiber cans make it look light, but it is not.  :ph34r:

My Greenie has the FBF crossover and the Factory Titanium exhaust. I bet it's more than a 10 pound savings compared to stock system, and it sounds glorious. The FBF crossover (which has no tab for the support bracket) is a lovely piece of work and very lightweight. I hear they are prone to cracking though, so the stock crossover is held in reserve.

I enjoy having one bike tuned stock, and the other modified. I recently emptied a large mandrel (Docc's orders) so I could get 2 free mental horsepower by belling the Greenie's airbox intakes. Belling will be at next "tank-off." Air intake is another easy place to look before any mods to the cams/heads.

My Ducati engine has more "soul" than a Triumph engine, but not quite as much as the Moto Guzzi engine. The Duc is not underpowered.

• Like 1

The Guzzi "off road" round carbon fiber (Mistral) cans weigh almost exactly 10 pounds less than the stock LaFranconi that came off.

Belling, balancing, and polishing the air intakes gave me surprisingly good results (entirely qualitative and subjective seat-of -the-pants, but also the change to the sound from the perch . . . bellissimo!)

DSCN3896.jpg

I agree completely that the mechanical sound of these bikes give them their "character" and sets them apart from other bikes.  My first Guzzi was the 2000 Sport (a greenie) with the Mistral "Off Road Only" carbon cans.  Set the hook as soon as I started it the very first time.

My second Guzzi is the '02 LeMans.  I was sooo disappointed after it was delivered and I started it for the first time.  "We definitely gotta do something about this!".  Bit the bullet and bought a new set of Mistral carbon cans.  Much better!  Then bought the Stucchi  crossover from one of our forum members (Thanks once again Ken) and installed that with the carbon cans "NOW WE'RE TALKING. This thing sounds AWESOME!!!!!! Puts a big a$$ grin on my mug every time I ride it.

I only wish my Aprilia even with the Akrapovic titanium cans sounded as good as the LeMans.   Still trying to decide what to do with the Norge.  The valve train noise makes almost more noise than the exhaust.  

Sorry guys but looks like the sun just popped out, Think I'll go for a ride instead of just talk about it. :P:

• Like 2

I also had an Aprilia, 2nd Gen Tuono with the 1L Rotax engine.  It was a great engine but left much to be desired in the sound department.  It was more high pitched than growling.  Just sold it to pick up my 2nd V11

Hey Scud,

Just a question, seat of your pants - did my guzzi make same - less - more power/noise than yours ?

Yeah - I'd say it was a bit more powerful than my V11s, and significantly louder than my greenie with the Titanium Kit Racing exhaust. You've dropped a lot of weight too - maybe 50 pounds - which contributes to the feeling of power.