'03 V11 Sport paint

ronkom

This is copied from my response to another thread, thought it might be missed.

ronkom

"As I'm going to hang on to the bike, next problem is paint. Bike has maroon tank, dark grey metallic front fender & buddy seat cover, all of which are in very good shape. The problem is a kind of medium grey on the sidecovers and tail piece. A PO apparently tried some sort of coating on the medium grey paint, ruining the finish. I've tried everything I can think of to recover a finish that looks decent...no joy.  So, the only option is repaint. Anyone who's had painting done recently knows how ludicrously expensive the paint alone is (two, sometimes 3 component finishes) . And I only need a small amount for two sidecovers & the tail piece . A minimum order of paint would leave me w/nearly full cans to go on the shelf & dry out over time.  I don't necessarily need a perfect match for the stock color. My thought is to visit body shops around town & see if anyone is painting a vehicle w/a color that would work & ask if they'd  "piggy back." my bike pieces.  I have no idea how that request might will fly. Suggestions? Ideas?"

PO: Was the grey paint originally a flat or semi-flat finish?

• 1 month later...

The grey isnt so bad. Do you have a pic? I know the paint scheme and the colors. 

What may of happened is the prior owner could of polished out the flat to polished? If that's the case you can try a flat clearcoat or an eggshell clearcoat which can be done cheaper than a color match and respray. 

Obtaining paint codes for these Guzzis can be tough to impossible. There is a place that still makes touchup but not sure if they still do it. 

I don’t know if this is useful, but this site,  https://www.reranch.com/  sells nitrocellulose lacquer in aerosol cans. These paints are sold for refinishing guitars, but I think they may be very close to old style automotive paint. The colors offered match the colors of vintage Fender, et al, guitars, which are often the same colors used by car makers in the 50’s. 

I used their products to refinish a Stratocaster body, and once the wood was prepped it was a series of many coats of lacquer and wet sanding, followed by coats of clear coat and wet sanding. It took some time but was economical and the end result was very good. If they have a color that works it might be an economical fix.

• Like 1

I agree with Rox Lemans, might be worth taking the pieces into a decent paint shop to see if they can salvage the original paint and refinish with some type of clear coat, if it worked, best and cheapest solution?.

I have heard of decent paint suppliers making up custom, quality spray bombs, but I don't think anything like that is going to come cheap either, and from experience, painting is a learned art. 

I not only hoard motorcycles but info as well,lol.

I snagged this enclosed document that Mike from MPH had posted somewhere with valid paint codes for some of the modern guzzis, I don't see any V11s on the list, but I did notice a few greys that MG has used in the past, might be worthwhile comparing against yours for a possible match with greys on other models.

Ps, due size limitations I can't post the doc, if you want it, pm me an email add, and I can get it to you. While searching for Mike's original post I found a few posts that may help you out, I copied the link over for one that seems to have a lot of links and info, fwiw.

Good luck

Kelly

• Like 1

Yes they did use several greys. Look at this pic of my '03 Rosso Corsa (rip) and see if your grey is close. If it is I'll get a better pic to see if it's the same. If it is and it would be usefull, I could send/lend you a part to get analyzed for duplication.

The pic can be blown up, and the greys on the bike are all the same, and are high gloss.  Only the red has been repainted

• 4 weeks later...

I just tripped across the original post on WG where Mike Haven of MPH had listed some of the Guzzi OEM paint codes.

I snagged it in a format this time, that could be re posted here so there would be a record of it in case it may help anyone, fyi

Good luck

Kelly

Paint codes are a national secret. You wont be getting any calls back.  I secured this list a few years ago after much badgering. its incomplete, but all there is
COLOR CODES:
NORGE 1200
      BLACK - BASF GE22-9659
      RED - 5.4D.23441 AKZO NOBEL                                      <<pic29436.jpg>>   <<pic21654.jpg>>
      GRAY - (Embedded image moved to file: pic29436.jpg)

1200 SPORT
      BLACK - 5.4M.22705 AKZO NOBEL
      RED - 5.4D.23441 AKZO NOBEL

BREVA 1100
      GRAY - 928XV374 PALINAL
      ORANGE - DS.08046 LECHLER
      WHITE - BIANCO DIAMANTE: SCHOCH: 610.PM02 ASCO-BASECOAT PERLATO
BIANCO

BREVA 850 2007
      GRIGIO EXCALIBUR (Grey excalibur) : SCHOCH 675 ALP11-1/3675-003560
GRISO 1100
      LGHT BLUE - DS02096 LECHLER
      YELLOW - DS02138 LECHLER
      ORANGE - ARANCIO SATINATO :SCHOCH 3610-010805 PALINAL 923MAT3
NEVADA I.E.
      GRAY - GRIGIO LUCE - DS02074 LECHLER (+ 928XV051 PALINI for fuel tank
stripe)
      BLACK - NERO GUZZI - 5,4M.22705 AKZO NOBEL (+ 928XH913 PALINI for
fuel tank stripe)
      RED - ROSSO DEL LARIO - 66051 LECHLER (+ 5.4M.22705 AKZO NOBEL for
fuel tank stripe)
      RED 06 - ROSSO LDS08040 LECHLER
      BLACK 06 - NERO GUZZI 929R486 PALINAL or 54M22705 AKZO NOBEL
      YELLOW 06 - GIALLO 08048 LECHLER
      WITHE-BLUE 06 - BIANCO MICA DS08042 LECHLER - BLUE MIDNIGHT: DS08039
LECHLER
BREVA 750
      BLACK - NERO OLLARE - 928 XH 913 PALINI or 57E80806 AKZO NOBEL
      GRAY - GRIGIO PIOMBO:  AKZO  57E 85804 or PALINI 928 XH 644 + TRASP.
LUCIDO 923 HS 90
      ROSSO BREVA (2001) - Palini 928 XH 900 + TRASP. LUCIDO 923 HS 90
      RED RACE- ROSSO GUZZI - 5.4D-23441 AKZO NOBEL
      BLACK 06/07 - NERO GUZZI - 54M22705 AKZO NOBEL
      LIGHT BLUE 06 - AZZURRO-  DS02096 LECHLER
      WHITE 06 - BINACO MICA - DS08042 LECHLER
CALIFORNIA 06
      RED -  ROSSO - LECHLER LDS08040
      BLACK - NERO PALINAL 929R486 or ARDESIA AKZO NOBEL 54 M 22.710
      WHITE/GRAY - BIANCO LECHLER LDS08040 / GRIGIO LECHLER LDS08043
      VINTAGE -  NERO PALINAL 929R486 or ARDESIA AKZO NOBEL 54 M 22.710
CALIFORNIA 07
      RED -  ROSSO - LECHLER LECHLER LS 66013
      NERO PALINAL 929R486 O ARDESIA AKZO NOBEL 54 M 22.710
(Embedded image moved to file: pic21654.jpg)

• Thanks 1