Engine Breakdown...

marcnils

I was out driving my V11 Sport 2000 the other day and after a roundabout 40-50 Km/h 2:nd gear my engine broke down the left rod come off the crankshaft and crushed the engine block... Have anyone of you heard of this before ??? Where to find an engine ?

What to do ?? The bike have only gone 35000 Km

I'll upload a picture tomorrow....

//Regards Marcus

f-n i helsike Marcus,

det var det värsta jag hört.

I haven't heard about an Guzzi engine break down like that

usually they are bullet proof, but anything mechanical can break.

Could be a weakness in the material or sloppy assemling..

has the bike been in for some serious engine work before this

happened?

Pictures would be welcome.

A used engine should not be impossible to get from some crashed

bike,probably not in Sweden, but somewhere outthere in the

European Union I'm sure.

http://se.mobile.de/ is one placeto start looking.

The only times I've heard of that happening is when the engine is *really* wrung out. Doesn't sound like you were doing that (only 40 Km/h in 2nd is basically idling)

Were the European '00 Guzzis affected by the same recall as US '00 Guzzis? Some were recalled and defective con rod bolts were replaced. I'd look into that- maybe Guzzi has some culpability.

There's a bike breaker in England that Carl and Al have used- reboot spares or something close to that. Do a search, and it should pop up.

My condolances. I am glad you are ok, and that it didn't happen at 140 Km/h.

Jason

Yes I 've heard of this, 65 were on the recall list to have rod bolts replaced.

these pics are from a Quota that had a rod bolt snap, seem familiar?

http://www.geocities.com/guzzitech_pics/MPH-Shrap.html

Send Todd Haven a e-mail with your vin# and he can tell you if your bike was one of the ones on the recall list http://www.mphcycles.com/

Here you have a ugly picture, but if you mention that some bikes have been recalled for this maybe it's a good Idea to have a chat with the swedish Guzzi agent...

As Long as I've owned the bike it hasn't been in for some other work than service

and it was only 2000 km since, I've had plans for tuning but at this moment it wasn't..

Lucky me I have more bikes and Wednesday I'ill start to use my old police bike (BMW R75/5 from 1973), that after all years still runing great, thanx for the replies, Marcus

The text for the US customers:

2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Recall

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V487000

Recall Date: Nov 24, 2003

Component: Engine And Engine Cooling

Potential Number Of Units Affected: 64

Summary: On certain motorcycles, under extended running speeds near the engines revolution limit, the engines connecting rod bolts can fail. Consequence: should such a failure occur, the motorcycles engine can suddenly stop turning or lock, requiring the operator to disengage the clutch in order to maintain control of the motorcycle. If the clutch is not disengaged, the operator can lose of control of the motorcycle, which could result in a crash, personal injury, or death.

Remedy: Dealers will install new, redesigned connecting rods and bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners should contact Moto Guzzi at 1-877-aprilia (1-877-277-4542).

Notes: Moto Guzzi Recall No. 101EAS. Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

and

2000 - 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Recall

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V486000

Recall Date: November 24, 2003

Component: Transmission

Potential Number Of Units Affected: 680

Summary: On certain motorcycles, the gearbox shift sleeves for engagement of 3rd to 6th gears can fracture unexpectedly while the motorcycle is in use.

Consequence: should such a fracture occur, the motorcycle's rear wheel can suddenly stop turning or lock, resulting in a loss of control of the motorcycle, which could result in a crash, personal injury, or death.

Remedy: Dealers will install new, improved shift rings and a redesigned cush-drive assembly. Owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners should contact Moto Guzzi at 1-877-aprilia (1-877-277-4542).

Notes: Moto Guzzi recall No. 101EBS. Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Help! I've worked the image to try and make it 'browser friendly.' I'd like to delete the unused background but can't acheive that with the ArcSoft software.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, docc

Sport 1100i parted out in France

Guz_Moteur_3.jpg

I don't know if this engine is still available. There are some differences between the Sport 1100i engine.The front engine cases have different off-set for the engine mounts, so they would have to be swapped. The right side cylinder barrel is also different and would also have to be swapped. Other than that, I believe they're pretty much the same except that the V11 Sport has better heads and higher compression and if the V11 Sport heads (and hopefully pistons) are undamaged, you would want to swap them as well.

The alternative would be a new or used case and some Carillo rods.

Here's the URL of my favorite breaker.

Reboot Guzzi Spares

Marcus, this was the reason the callback was there. So first find out if your chassisnumber is in the callback range, then find out if there has been a callback in sweden, and then visit your dealer.

This happend before, not once.

Guest Gary Cheek

The first Scura I bought from Moto Guzzi had lost it's second engine in less than 4500 miles . The first engine was taken by Guzzi and it is hard to know what happened to cause the failure . Guzzi installed a factory new engine which only made 1000 miles before doing the same thing , namely spun the rear rod bearing . From what I could deduce , Guzzi did not see fit to replace the oil cooler and the trash in the cooler wiped out the rod bearing in engine #2 .

I am mentioning this as a caveat to engine repairs and replacements after bearing failures . You really should replace the oil cooler as a peventative measure . The stuff that I drained out of the original Scura cooler would convince all but the most frugal.

It is a good practice with all cooler equipped machines . BTW the thermostat system should get e good leaning along with the entire oil pressure system.

You might ciontact the Guzzi importer and ask if they could spare a 2002 crankcase with bublematic paint . They should have a few of those kicking around slightly used and the paint shouldn't be too hard to remove .

Yucky! If your engine is outside of the recall range you might have some trouble convincing the factory to pay for the damage but 2000-2001 models were the ones effected.

How many RPM did you reckon you were doing? Most motors I've seen with a leg out of bed have been having the bejasus caned out of 'em! There is as much damage to your block as there was on our racer and it had a rod let go at about 6,400 at turn seven at Eastern Creek :vomit:

Incidentally, not wanting to twist the knife, but chances are that you'll find your cam has been taken out by the flailing rod, as will be the cylinder spigots and probably one of the heads. You'd be better off getting a new or 2nd hand motor than trying to revive the wreck, sorry.

Pete