Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

In germany is another scura with a broken clutch. He was driving 220kmh, when his rearwheel blocked! He pulled the clutch but it still blocked, After a couple of seconds, a big bang and the clutch came free. He felt something against his leg, bigger than a fly. It made a big noise, but he saw that the next parking was 2km away, so he stayed on the bike until he was on the parking. When he got of he couldn't believe his eyes. The bike is now at the dealer until guzzi gemany comes to look at it.

And too be clear: this problem can only happen to bikes with the single plate clutch: scura, tenni. This is the 4th clutch in a scura that ends thia way. This is no coincidence. But you don't have to believe me.

pictures from clutchproblem

DAAAAAAAANMMMMMMM!!!!!

Any idea how many miles were on it (said the Scura owner with just under 22Kmiles on his bike who is going on a 2K mile weekend ride in a couple of weeks)??

That's one ugly pic. Glad to hear he's OK. :blink:

Wow, I hadn't checked the link for the rest of the images. You're right, the tranny and engine might have separated from themselves and things could have been much worse..

and Al, I hadn't noticed how nice his cases looked. Hopefully Guzzi will give him some of those nice later painted cases like you got/are getting.

This is the 4th clutch in a scura that ends thia way. This is no coincidence.

Paul,

Do you have any knowledge of why these clutches/flywheels have broken?

Is it a design/materials fault that will occur on all single plates under certain running conditions? (eg.extended high speed running...)

Is it a fault on a few bikes, but not common to all?

Is a failure like this preceded by any warning symptoms?

What, if anything, did Guzzi tell you about your broken Scura?

Is there anything common to all the breakages in terms of type of use, mileage, engine no. etc?

If Guzzi are aware of these breakages, & if there is a generic fault, then surely a recall is in order. 4 failures out of total production may be low no., but failure is so catastrophic that it makes me wonder about putting in a twin plate clutch, even if I have to buy it myself - better that than wrecked eng/trans out of warranty or pos consequences of failure at speed...

Thanks.

KB :sun:

I can only guess what goes wrong. The problem is the alu flywheel, that is the one that breaks. The scura I had, made more noise than usual short before the brakedown.

The alu flywheel is bolted on the crank. That's a high stress area. The aluminium is relatively soft, and might flow under the bolds pressure, this giving a less tight bold torgue, giving more room for vibration. Then under the bolts is one big steel washer, the edge of it marking the border between fixed and flexible aluminium. Then you start running the engine, vibration is another thing where alu isn't the right material, and fatigue starts building up.

So maybe production tolerances, tightning torque correctly applied during assembly, and balancing the clutch makes the difference between good and bad.

A year ago, at Dynotec they told me, in the end, all that sort of clutches will fail.

I never heard a thing from Guzzi, They took the clutch to the factory I think.

So maybe production tolerances, tightning torque correctly applied during assembly, and balancing the clutch makes the difference between good and bad.

Paul,

Thanks for reply.

You say you know of 4 failures...1- Roberto's in Scotland on this site, 2 - yours & 3 - this new one in Germany. What was the other? Does anyone know of anymore?

I know Roberto's clutch had been replaced, do you know if the others had been apart prior to failure, or were they as they came from the factory.

Are they made by RAM? ( I have a RAM clutch in my Tonti... ).

Is there any theories/info on all this on the German V11 site...I don't speak German.

Thanks again, KB :sun:

You say you know of 4 failures...1- Roberto's in Scotland on this site, 2 - yours & 3 - this new one in Germany. What was the other? Does anyone know of anymore?

The other one was in france, got a new gearbox from factory

I know Roberto's clutch had been replaced, do you know if the others had been apart prior to failure, or were they as they came from the factory.

The others weren't replaced

Are they made by RAM? ( I have a RAM clutch in my Tonti... ).

They look like a ram copy, not identical, but close.

Is there any theories/info on all this on the German V11 site...I don't speak German.

No other than I wrote here.

Fooking hell! :o

That's ugly - glad that your mate made it without any casualties.

This is just more ammo for us Scuristi, Tennisti and Mandelloisti. It's quite strange that Guzzi hasn't yet made a recall in order to fix the bloody clutch. Wonder if they read this homepage? :not:

Thanks for the info, Paul.

Søren

So this clutch 'malfunctioned' simply from high speed operation, not from power shifting or such?

What a #^*@ing joke! The engineers at Moto Guzzi should be ashamed with themselves. Imagine giving the green light to producing this clearly inadequete device, my head is shaking!

Ciao, Steve G.