Round Britain Rally 2005

Martin Barrett

Its just the obsesive compolsive bit, having put all the effort in to perhaps made one potentily silly error. But you never know I might have got it right. Will find out when judged. If I was too bothered by it I would have sulked and not done the last two rides.

But overall good fun :race: out on the :mg: even in the rain. looking forward to next years. might have to do the ACU and various National rallys aswell :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photos went of burnt onto a CD. had a confirmation Email saying " Photos arrived, all marked okay" Arrgh what does that mean? Was he able to mark all the photos; was I right that I'd drop marks for wrong landmark right location or did I'll actually get the right landmarks? The suspence is killing me I'll just have to wait till the results are published.

Now during the Welsh Waltz Gary let on that he had been doing the RBR. and over on the RBR Forum there was a post by "Rich"

just breezed up on the V11, took pic and off again

Rich are you here?

Who else has been doing it? and where are your comments or threads?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Results have been published.. I have very generously been credited with a 100%er.

One clue seemed to be a bit ambiguous a manor house. On the OS map there is shown castle ruins which in fact was a fortified manor house and there is also the "modern" manor house. map He credited both.

The other was an 18thC Dovecote in Coldstream, it would appear to be converted in to cottages. I overlooked this one in my research and found what appeared to have possibly been a a dovecote in the style of a watchtower in the town centre memorial garden. I could find any documentary evidence to support this but it looked right. Once the closing date was past and people started putting up their links. I thought I'd done myself out of the 100% to a straight all-rounder.

The other ones I had been previously worried about, I had infact been correct.

Of the 145 participants who returned their forms to be marked there was 8 Guzzis including 3 V11s: Gary "Wambiker" on here and a Richard from Gloucester. One other was fairly local to me I think he might have come to the owners club meeting recently. If he's there tomorrow night I'll ask him.

Looking forward to next years. Anyone else going to take part - you don't have to do all of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The good news - This should be my last post in this thread - stop cheering.

We had the prize giving and dinner last night.

Here is my plaque

2185f6b7.jpg

The bad news - There's less than 5 weeks untill the 2006 rally starts, with the landmarks issued in 3-4 weeks. Time for a New Thread :D

I'm tempted to have a go at this.... Is it hard?

80237[/snapback]

It's not hard, some of the landmarks can be tricky. Some you can find out what they are, what they look like and where exactly they are before you go others you can't do all three, some you do blind and just look when you get there.

The rest is how far you want to ride in a day.

Here you go these were the closest ones to you - These are the clues as given:

County; Landmark; Location

1 Bedfordshire; 2 village pumps and well; Old Walden

2 Berkshire; Pair of boundry stones; Padworth

4 Buckinghamshire; The Diamond Jubilee well; Lee Common

5 Cambridgeshire; Water Mill (NT); Houghton

17 Gloucestershire; "Old Father Thames" statue; Lechlade

21 Hertfordshire; Village pump and sign post ; Hexton

35 Oxfordshire; Tom Browns School; Uffington

46 Wiltshire; George V coronation monument; Pewsey

See how you get on researching those.

This is how I did:

1,4 and 21 did blind

2and 5 located on an OS map - used getamap.co.uk

17and 35 a bit of clues from the internet cross related to map, ie near a feature and that feature is on the map

46 as above and then subsequent attention to detail revealed I'd gone to wrong feature but had seen the correct one :doh:

If you ride to the "blind" locations you should find the landmark unless someone has parked a van in the way obscuring your line of sight. Number 2 would be an exception and needs the map work.

The picture are in the relevent link on each trip report.

Other features were castles and other bloody obvious thing some were a bit more elusive. But between Google and Getamap and Multimap could find most with degrees of certainty.

sent my application off this morning

Make a change from the usual bike haunts, plus I have a mate who has just come back to biking and wants an excuse to do some miles ( furthest hes been though is 100 miles in a day ) in at the deep end

Lets hope for a decent summer :race:

Dave

The carrier pigeon strolled by this morning,whistling,and casually lobed a copy of this month mag into the garden.

Hell of a write up ,Martin fine stuff indeed. :thumbsup:

80493[/snapback]

What do you reckon about the Irish one, Big J? HQ seems to be down your way.

Which mag arrived this morning? Gamba.... No sign of mine yet. I reckon it's disappeared in the postal strike, along with many another thing.

What do you reckon about the Irish one, Big J? HQ seems to be down your way.

Which mag arrived this morning? Gamba.... No sign of mine yet. I reckon it's disappeared in the postal strike, along with many another thing.

80518[/snapback]

I dunno,BFG.I'm up to my bollocks in it at the moment. I've been using the bike through winter and she needs a bit of tlc, shes looking pretty rough. I'm restoring 4 cars as well and I'm still bringing stuff over from Scotland when I can prize it from the leprous grip of my venomous ex wife.Then there's popping back across to get the kids,see lawyers,catch up with the old mates,work,etc,etc.........

So,after lunch,I'm free :D

Yeah,Gambalunga.Featuring Martin Barrett, Guzzilands answer to Rudyard Kipling :)