Frnt cross-over shims - Perm. and reusable

Anthony

:D The new pricing for the original steel couplers is as follows…

8 folks at $80.00 each set

12 folks $65.00 each set

16 folks $59.00 each set

+ Shipping

Parts will be CNC machined from stainless steel

Aaron Bard

77257[/snapback]

Count me in! :grin: I hope they're still available, this being March and all. I've been out of the loop for a while :huh2:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Aaron, I'll be down the bank tomorrow, to see the best way of sending you a cheque. If need be I'll PM you. I think the last time my wife did something like this she ended up sending cash by recorded delivery.

Thanks Aaron, I'll be down the bank tomorrow, to see the best way of sending you a cheque. If need be I'll PM you. I think the last time my wife did something like this she ended up sending cash by recorded delivery.

84733[/snapback]

From experience, if you can get the bank details, easiest and quickest will be a direct bank transfer. Takes about a day, my bank charges £10, whatever the amount, plus an agent's charge at the other end.

m

parts.JPG :) Finally, the parts are complete...

I just discovered this problemw with my '04 Ballabio this weekend. I need a set ASAP, as I'm having the bike serviced, upgraded, gone over before a track day on 4/17.

Can you please advise re: availability, payment, and ship date? I don't spend a lot of time on the list, and this is the first time I've seen this thread.

I'm in Monrovia, CA (NE Los Angeles).

Thanks, Aaron.

Wallis

Just received my new shims yesterday...Quite lovely! Thanks to everyone, esp. Aaron and Anthony for making this happen! :notworthy:

85446[/snapback]

got mine too. they're already installed. nice work, aaron.

Just received my new shims yesterday...Quite lovely! Thanks to everyone, esp. Aaron and Anthony for making this happen! :notworthy:

85446[/snapback]

Whoa! This is Communism. Where's mine? :huh2:

OK, OK, I'll stop whining now. Heading out to the GarageMahalo to take off the pipes and get ready for Monday's mail. :D:luigi:

Aaron and Anthony, thanks so much for producing the front crossover shims. I just installed them and they fit perfectly. My bike is a brand new 2004 Sport Naked with just 25 miles on it (just got it last week). Amazingly, the factory shim on one side had already begun to deteriorate, so this was a timely fix.

I do have a question - I tightened the hose clamps on the front crossover pipe to 5 ft-lbs (app. 7 N-m). At this tightness the front crossover has no play at all, even when firmly shaken. Is this OK or should there be a little play in the front crossover in order to prevent stressing and cracking the welds attaching the crossover to the header pipe? I assume Moto Guzzi designed the rather odd OE mounting system for some logical reason, although I may be giving them too much credit. What has been other people's experience with the correct tightness for the front crossover when using the revised shims?

Snip

I do have a question - Snip What has been other people's experience with the correct tightness for the front crossover when using the revised shims?

85506[/snapback]

I have a set of these shims installed in my '04 Nero. They have been in right around a year now, with more or less 8K mi. of riding. When I installed mine, I tightened them up good. Didn't use a torque wrench, just by feel. Both sides are good and tight, no issues with welds, etc. I say snug'em up and roll.

Guest Aaron Bard
Aaron and Anthony, thanks so much for producing the front crossover shims.  I just installed them and they fit perfectly.   My bike is a brand new 2004 Sport Naked with just 25 miles on it (just got it last week).   Amazingly, the factory shim on one side had already begun to deteriorate, so this was a timely fix.

I do have a question - I tightened the hose clamps on the front crossover pipe to 5 ft-lbs (app. 7 N-m).  At this tightness the front crossover has no play at all, even when firmly shaken.  Is this OK or should there be a little play in the front crossover in order to prevent stressing and cracking the welds attaching the crossover to the header pipe?  I assume Moto Guzzi designed the rather odd OE mounting system for some logical reason, although I may be giving them too much credit.  What has been other people's experience with the correct tightness for the front crossover when using the revised shims?

85506[/snapback]

:nerd: I welded bicycle frames for 8 years for a small custom manufacturer in Maryland. Over that time I gained an appreciation for the tremendous stresses that can be developed and trapped within a welded structure. Whenever your exhaust heats up the differently shaped welded parts expand in different ways but are stuck to one another by the weld. The forces on the weld are INDESCRIBABLE and this is why exhaust welds crack. Any external load you put on your headers pales in comparison to the stresses trapped inside of it.

To further comfort you, no matter how hard you tighten the hose clamp the shim will allow pivoting under moderate loads. Normally when you tighten a hose clamp you are getting a thin wall pressure vessel effect that redirects your bolt force inward and magnifies it by 3.14x2. Coke cans stay together because despite the large outward forces, minimal tension is produced in the aluminum wall. The Socket shim is too thick to deform and does not allow the thin wall effect. As a result you are tightening more like a vice on the connection.

Bottom line is, tighten away baby! :huh: Within reason

Whoa!  This is Communism.  Where's mine?  :huh2:

85498[/snapback]

Careful, Counselor

Wasn't there something in there about

"from each according to his abilities"?

A fridge stocked with Peroni could be considered the limit of

abilitites for some...... :D

Paging Mr. Orwig.....

Guest SDKFZ111
post-2240-1143830297_thumb.jpg :) Finally, the parts are complete. The parts turned out beautifully and fit perfectly. The shipping cost will be the same for everybody at $7.00. Please send checks for $66.00 to…

Aaron Bard

5417 Spindrift Place

Columbia MD 21045

I have enough sets for those who already posted but few more. If you are new, post and I will let you know if I have any extras.

Thanks

Aaron Bard

84505[/snapback]

Looks good to me, any left ?

Careful, Counselor

Wasn't there something in there about

"from each according to his abilities"?

A fridge stocked with Peroni could be considered the limit of

abilitites for some...... :D

Paging Mr. Orwig.....

85514[/snapback]

I'm sulking 'cuz the Orwig Man left me unsupervised in Atlanta this weekend while he frolics in Ohio.

Think I'll go have one of those Peronis (tho I think it's a Moretti week here :bier: ) in the GarageMahalo.

Hoping I can handle the "shoulder bolts into the throttle-linkage covers" on the EV :luigi: (immediate past BOM, as you may recall, but I don't want to exhibit unseemly pride). :grin: