'02 Scura Noise!!

mznyc

Ok but the alloy flywheel of RAM shouldn't destroy as the original one of the Scura.

I've wondered about this. Excuse my ignorance of the construction and parts – would it be possible and cheaper to change the flywheel only and keep the original Scura clutch?

The clutch seems to be a very expensive replacement part. I suppose in Guzzi world a new flywheel could also be very expensive?

I should check to see if the parts are integral: maybe they can't be got/fitted separately. Someone can elucidate please.

I like the operation of the Scura's set-up.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as I've never heard of anyone with a Tenni or Rosso Mandello with clutch problems. Has someone here with either of those other bikes reported a clutch failure yet? Its been a long time since those bikes have hit the streets & I havent heard anything bad yet. Mine just turned 15k miles & runs + shifts perfectly. :mg:

I've wondered about this. Excuse my ignorance of the construction and parts – would it be possible and cheaper to change the flywheel only and keep the original Scura clutch?

The clutch seems to be a very expensive replacement part. I suppose in Guzzi world a new flywheel could also be very expensive?

I should check to see if the parts are integral: maybe they can't be got/fitted separately. Someone can elucidate please.

I like the operation of the Scura's set-up.

I too liked the operation of the single plater, but to be honest the difference on a road bike is slight. In actual fact the V10 unit I have in is smoother on tick over and the difference in pick up is barely perceptable.

It is an expensive replacement part, but there should be plenty of second hand twin platers kicking about now, I would have thought. I just sourced one of these and assembled with new plates.

Nige. B)

I'm curious as I've never heard of anyone with a Tenni or Rosso Mandello with clutch problems. Has someone here with either of those other bikes reported a clutch failure yet? Its been a long time since those bikes have hit the streets & I havent heard anything bad yet. Mine just turned 15k miles & runs + shifts perfectly. :mg:

Yes, I think the problem seems to be confined to the 'improved' version fitted to the Scura. :moon:

I haven't heard of any 'grenading' problem with any other single plate models.....

Anyone else heard of it? :unsure:

Nige. B)

Richard,does is make noise,er,..ah ,..Musica?

Michael

Actually, that's pretty normal for the type of clutch you have in the Scura. It's a single plate type clutch as opposed to dual plate style that is found in most of the V11 variants and they are loud.

Quick question: you said "most of the V11 variants". Need I be concerned on my 2004 Cafe Sport?

so mark, you didn't make some pictures to show us the differences?

Paul

I didn't sorry,but I took some of the old one,you can see some serious wear on the clutch

inner and the cracks in the flywheel.See if I can post some in the next couple of days.

I think that change only the flywheel is not a good thing....should be better replacing the entire clutch.

But the original 2 plates of V11 costs about 1000 euro...and the only aftermarket 1 plate for Scura is the RAM.

Yes, they were way out of my price range and second hand ones are like

rockenhorseshit. :drink:

If you're asking does my bike make that rattling noise, the answer is yes. It sounds like a bunch of coins in a coffee can in nuetral lol. I've grown to like it though :grin:

It scares me,again I come from the Japanese world.sounds like a pistons about to blow through the case!EEEE!!!

Now if we could only get a ST1100 motor(transverse mounted V-4) in a V11 frame,let it breath a little,exhaust,tune,etc.we would have one hell of a bike.Wish the Italians would get some Japanese engineers on their design team before they released their rolling art,to sign off on reliability issuses and they would be a HUGE success .Most people wont stand for things like,although rare, an exploding clutch.

I took my Scura out for my first thrash,and loved it.Passing on a double yellow has never been easier.

She sure is SEXY!!

...strongly urging him to bin the Guzzi unit in his, I'd do the same to anyone with a Scura or (?) Tenni that has this unit but the RAM aftermarket unit is a HAPPY thing ...

My clutch works fine & has not increased noise since new but after everything I've seen & heard re the fracturing of the flywheel in these I plan to put in a RAM clutch this winter. I know John O'Sullivan put one in after his Scura one gave up. I have one in the Tonti & like it, tho it hasn't got many miles on it so I can't comment on longevity. (It is a hell of a light action compared to stock twin plate on the T3/LM).

I would be v interested to see the actual differences between Scura & RM/Tenni or RAM aftermarket.

KB :sun:

Guzzi got RAM to make the single platers for the Scura etc, the problem was that the silly sods decided to re-design it and then get RAM to make it to their specs. The fact that the RAM unit had been around since Jesus was in nappies and worked just fine was of no consequence, Guzzi went ahead and stuffed about with it and their version breaks.

Pete, what you say sounds interesting. Where do you have this information from? I mean, if they at RAM really know how to design clutches/flywheels and if they also really know why they design them in this or another way, why should they work to insufficient specs that they for sure would recognise as being to weak? The more as Guzzi also for sure not has ordered more but a real small quantity of them.

How did they get them to make these, as you say? They should have known that exploding RAM flywheels would not have been that what RAM wanted for its business. Money from Guzzi since some years now cannot have been the winning argument, don't you think so?

So what you say about RAM as the experts and Guzzi wanting something against the expertise of the experts, can you someow substantiate this?

Hubert

Pete, what you say sounds interesting. Where do you have this information from?

So what you say about RAM as the experts and Guzzi wanting something against the expertise of the experts, can you someow substantiate this?

Hubert

Information from seeing both the original and the Guzzi designed unit. Reason for the change would probably be cost above all, less material or inferior material in the Guzzi designed unit.

I have no idea why they would specify a different unit apart from sheer bloody-mindedness or cost, two things Guzzi are famous for :D .

I have never heard of one of RAM's original designs going tits up, I've only installed a few of them though but I've been around Guzzis for 30 years and if something is unreliable I usually hear about it soon enough. I know of at least four, probably as many as half a dozen Scurra clutches going west in Oz though.

If I owned a bike with one in it would be coming out as a matter of urgency, but that's me, nobody is forced to take my advice or believe what I say and I have no vested interest in trying to get people to replace parts that are perfectly serviceable.

pete