Just a little bit of luggage

Scud

I need to be in San Jose, CA for one day on business soon (9 days). I'm scheming on making it into a 1,000 mile scenic route (round-trip) on the Scura. I've got a good backpack, but I'm going to want to take just a little bit more.

Givi has a method of strapless mounting their tank bags to the fuel door ring - but I'm concerned that it will require removal of the tank pad (which rises up above the level of the fuel door ring). The video at the link below shows how the bag works with a flush-mounted fuel door.

http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system

Alternatively, I could go with a tail bag. This looks like an easy mount on the passenger seat. But the concern here is about straps that may rub and damage the tender matte-grey paint.

http://www.cyclegear.com/OGIO-Tail-Bag

One requirement - the bag (tank or tail) I select must accommodate a whole pie. Odd requirement, I know, but this is very important. There is a place at the end of a twisty road that sells pies. If the Scura can deliver pies on Sunday mornings, then everyone is happy... 

Has anybody used either of these products? Alternatively, is anybody super-happy with a different tank bag or tail bag? If so, please make a recommendation.

My saddlebags rub off the clear on my paint if I don't use masking tape.....not sure if they make black masking tape though :grin: . I'm on my second Chase Harper tank-bag, not the prettiest but I live out of mine and they give you a lifetime warranty. The folks at Chase Harper are awesome! they always take care of me and the bags are handmade in Cali. I believe...? My tank is also scratch free after two years and 14k miles.

Sheez, man, I listed all that stuff I carry on the Sport and I forgot the pie! :homer:

You forgot the pie? Now you'll have to go back.

This sentence was recently spoken in my home:  "If you're going to be going on all these rides, you better figure out how to bring a pie home." See - very important.

My saddlebags rub off the clear on my paint if I don't use masking tape.....not sure if they make black masking tape though :grin: . I'm on my second Chase Harper tank-bag, not the prettiest but I live out of mine and they give you a lifetime warranty. The folks at Chase Harper are awesome! they always take care of me and the bags are handmade in Cali. I believe...? My tank is also scratch free after two years and 14k miles.

Thanks for the tip on the black masking tape.

Could you give a little more detail on your Chase Harper tank bag?  I see they have several options.  Which one is working so well for you?  A link or model number would be great. Also - how did you mount it? Are the straps "permanently" on the bike even when not using the tank bag?

I've got the 800 Sport Trek, the straps are definitely not permanent. Like I said not the sexiest option even with the straps cinched down the bag does move a little (not at speed and my bike is naked). I have carried home many groceries even drawing a crowd while people take bets if I can fit it all in my Marry Poppins-esque bag. Frozen Pizza, check. Six pack of bottles check. Cereal and milk and eggs and english muffins, check. At the petrol station just unhook the back clip and slide it forward, bam! you're back on the road. Needless to say I like mine.

Yeah at that price I will pass on the black masking tape.

The tape is pretty silly - but I was curious if it was available (since you mentioned it).

I've only had one tank bag and it was a PITA. That was probably 20 years ago - so I imagine things have improved.

On your bag - and sorry to be slow on the uptake here - since the bag clips on, there must be some straps attached to the frame, or under the seat. I just looked at my bike and how to do so is not obvious to me. Where (and how) have you attached the straps that the bag clips to? And what do you do with those straps when not using the bag? 

A tank bag is easy to put on. Strap up from behind around the rear tank mount. I like to cross the straps through the forward tank gap and around the headstock instead of down the sides of the tank.

A little tank bag, a pair of Tekno panniers (that can carry a full case of ale!), Sports-Touring at its best!

killboy.jpg

Pie? I dunno about that . . . :whistle:

• Like 2

A tank bag is easy to put on. Strap up from behind around the rear tank mount. I like to cross the straps through the forward tank gap and around the headstock instead of down the sides of the tank.

Ah - that makes total sense. Thanks. All I could imagine was straps wrapping around the tank - and I didn't like it.

The Chase Harper mounts like Docc's bag basically around the spine. If I ever take off the bag it's just a matter of threading a couple straps through. I will snap a pic when I get done with work.

Here's the factory bag. You have to attach the mount which screws into the back tank bolt and the front straps ties over the steering head.  The bag zips on to it so you can put gas in it. It fits well.  It rubs the back of the tank and the map pocket is small and oddly shaped.  It opens "backwards" .   Some day I'll put a tank protector on it.  

Works well and fits.  

4E0FE09A15CB4E7D934DBFD54B549EC3.jpg

Now the saddle bags work great EXCEPT when you travel over 85 and then the bike really gets twitchy and starts a to weave.  Especially when passing semis.  It's probably a red frame deal.

Thanks for the all the suggestions, very helpful.

Pie Run:

A web search for motorcycle and pie returned astonishingly few relevant results.

Tanks Bags:

Any bag that's big enough will probably prevent me from tucking in. So I'm going to pass on that for now.

Saddle Bags:

I've had a few, most recently the massive aluminum boxes on a KTM 950. They were like giant auxiliary brakes. Not only did they decrease my fuel economy (and range) due to wind resistance, they stopped the bike in a hurry when trees jumped into my way.

What I'm Going to Try:

I ordered a Giant Loop Great Basin bag. It's essentially the same shape as a passenger's hips and thighs - it rests on the seat and secures to the footpeg brackets. I'll probably end up with another adventure bike before long (perhaps a Stelvio...). So in addition to the "must fit a pie" criteria I thought about using this on my current and future dirt bikes. Here's a review that a guy wrote up about using this bag on a Honda 996 Superhawk (I had one of those for a while).

I hope that with this bag I will not need even need a backpack (which sounds really comfy). Assuming on-time delivery and barring a change of plan, I'll road-test it next week.

That's funny. Math, baked goods, and religion all in one post - pi, pie, and piety.

I should go get an apple & cherry pie on Pi Day (3.14) if my new bag comes in on time. That would be a good test before I go too far from home.