It was 40 years ago today

It was 20 years ago today (more or less) when The Smiths broke up.

Anyone here like Nick Cave and the bad Seeds??

yeah, the Smiths were a great band. Johnny Marr beat me at soccer table once. bastard !

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are a great band.

Shame Blixa Bargeld left the band tho, he did bring a welcome musical anarchy to the band.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band Johnny Marr is with now are pretty good as well. Modest Mouse.

Yeah Blixa is some character. Everytime I ever saw him he would have his cloths and hair as out of step with current trends as could possibly be imagined.

The band is not as good without him. Like you say he brought anarchy but always at exactly the right time and in the right amount. Dare I say it controlled anarchy!!!

The band Johnny Marr is with now are pretty good as well. Modest Mouse.

i'm not bought on Modest Mouse. It's a decent band but it really feels short of something to be genuinely excited about.

The Smiths, on the other hand, had that touch of class, and great lyrics. Morissey was the man, possibly, but Johnny Marr sure was instrumental in his success.

Going back to Nick Cave, I always am fascinating by people who can make the leap from indie/cult status to pop/mainstream stardom and chart success AND BACK.

His duo with Kylie Minogue was nothing short of totally amazing and brilliant, from the 1st to the the 36th degrees...

01.jpg

Going back to Nick Cave, ............His duo with Kylie Minogue was nothing short of totally amazing and brilliant, from the 1st to the the 36th degrees...

01.jpg

I am a big Nick Cave fan but I have to say that every now and again he drops a clanger. I think the thing with Kylie was one of those.

Maybe it's me but I can't even think of one duet by anyone that I like.

At the weekend as it happens myself and a few friends were listening to The Bad Seeds and Loverman from let love in came on. I hadn't heard it for a long time and it just blew me away.

The big thing at this stage is just the sheer volume of great songs that Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds have done.

I am not that thrilled with Grinderman though.

On the other hand I read a great review in MOJO of their performance in San Francisco. As grinderman have only about 6 songs they finished the set and did two encores of Bad seed songs,

And guess who made a guest appearance - Blixa

They are essentially the same line up as tour with Nick when he is sans Bad Seeds.

Which is Half of the Seeds.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'd say if The V11 Sport was a rock performar it would be Nick Cave!!!!

Who would you nominate???

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'd say if The V11 Sport was a rock performar it would be Nick Cave!!!!

it would need to be a temperamental performer, someone you're not even sure will be there, and if there he (or she) might not giving a pristine concert...

Hhhmmm... Lou Reed ? Al Jorgensen (Ministry) ? a cured Pete Doherty ?

it would need to be a temperamental performer, someone you're not even sure will be there, and if there he (or she) might not giving a pristine concert...

Yeah that would definately be a part of it. A bit mysterious you never know for sure what you're going to get.

But that makes the great performances even more memorable.

Also there is a certain ugly beauty that is not appreciated by the average punter.

An underlying sense of brute force and menace which could break out at any moment.

It's all there.

I'd say if The V11 Sport was a rock performar it would be Nick Cave!!!!

If the Scura was a statue, I'd say it would be this

manneken-pis.jpg

or perhaps this

2006-06-22-nuremberg-nice-tits.jpg

• 2 weeks later...