It was 40 years ago today

In terms of imfluential albums, Master of Puppets by Metallica has to count as one of THE most influential albums from any period...I got it up there with my own small list of albums that exemplified the period they were from...are you experienced, dark side of the moon, never mind the bollox, back inblack, paralell lines, love (The Cult- the zenith of Goth), am I evil (diamond head), brothers in arms, la woman, appetite for destruction, sandinista, the who live at leeds, abraxas...to name but a few...

The thing about Metallica's master of puppets is that when it came out, not only did it blow everyone away from the very first bars on "battery" but it defined what metal was gonna be about for years...much more influential than never mind in my opinion...it was a turning point, out with the old in with the new. I remember never mind the bollocks doing the same thing!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but abbey road is still better :D

They made a few other GREAT albums.

Help!

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Magical Mystery Tour

The White Album (my choice if I had to pick just one)

The earlier stuff wasn't bad either, but my first taste was the Yellow Submarine movie, and I am a little too young to appreciate it the earlier stuff the way teeny boppers of my mother's generation did, or maybe their music simply got better after they smoked pot. :huh2:

Pink Floyd defined what an album could be.

As for the Clash:

The Clash and Give em enough Rope were the balls, London Calling made them, and Sandinista apexed them.

Bob Marley's Catch a Fire was my favorite Wailer's album, but Exodus was not bad, and probably sold more.

I liked Jihem's list of influential, but am surprised to see Todd Rundgren on there.

I recall be dragged to a Todd Rundgren and Utopia concert and after seeing Todd Rundgren perform I asked my friend, why is everyone leaving the concert hall? Isn't Utopia going to come on? :homer: Also, I am not a big Springsteen fan, but I know he is influential. I'd also add Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, T-Rex, the Doors, Genesis, New York Dolls, Ramones, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, CSNY, the Who, and Led Zeppelin as being major influences for musicians. I am sure I am missing somebody....certainly the late 70s had many influences for today's music, whether Black Flag or Black Sabbath or Disco, music deviated into various genres that re-morphed into the unclassifiable musical styles of today.

I wonder if Peter Frampton still regrets appearing in that silly BeeGees movie.

:lol:

I liked Jihem's list of influential, but am surprised to see Todd Rundgren on there.

I think there are a couple of Todd Rundgren albums from that early 70 period that are milestones for the introduction of electronics in rock music.

While there were synths before Todd, of course, he was one of the very first to WRITE music with synths in a very rock way (unlike bands likeTangerine Dreams or Tonto who were more into hypnotic type of electronic music), and building songs with them compare to what most people used to do: moog solos and weird noises.

Todd took the VCS3 and AKS (build by an english company called EMS, in Putney Bridge) and actually made songs with them as main parts and that was a breakthrough at the times. This said, I'm not found at all of his other stuff, but his early 70's years were undoubtely (for me) groundbreaking as far as songwriting with synthesizers in rock music is concerned.

Last night there was tv programme showing current 'acts' (Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Stereophonics, a wrinkly Bryan Adams...) recording a new Sgt Peppers in the original studio with the same equipment as used by the fab ones and the same engineer. Some nice clunking and whirring of recording/reproduction machinery.

Now, tonight, there was the story of The Monkees. Ah, 1967, indeed. Joy. Seems like yesterday.

(And followed by Brian Sewell's private view of Salvador Dali, from the summers that he spent with Dali from 1968 onwards.)

Followed on other channel by Bob Marley and the story of Exodus (1977). THAT was voted by Time as the album of the century.

That's followed by Jimmy Cliff in The Harder They Come.

On the other side, The Seven Ages of Rock is on The Blank Generation: Punk Rock.

I'm watching Jimmy Cliff.

Excellent

With a bit more experience, you'll find that an iPod 'hooks' to yer ears, via earphones.

Then you put helmet on head, hopefully tucking ears inside helmet.

Put iPod inside jacket or shirt pocket. Press play. Rock and Roll.

You can even follow above procedure when riding yer moto cycle.

I use an iPod Shuffle these days for said purpose, as they're the size of nothing at all. Only problem has been that unlike bigger brothers, they don't have a 'hold' switch and because the control buttons are raised, they can get accidently pressed when leaning forwards on bike. Solved by keeping it in side pocket rather than tucked inside front.

Well, Its rather uncomfortable to ride with earbuds in but yeah, I think I'll be doing that. I'll either get he shuffle or the nano as I'd like one for skiing as well.

I am a huge Todd fan. have met him also.

Sgt Pepper is, in the end, a "10"

I am in Seattle, and yes Nevermind is an awesome album. I remember hearing it for the 1st time in a poster store in San Francisco and asking the clerk, "uh, who is that?"

But, let us not forget "Who's next" by The Who

I also will put Oasis and even Jet on my "desert island" collection.

The best Beatles album for me is 'Revolver"

And the best Stones album (hardly listen to them ever now) is.....Beggar's Banquet

Thank you for listening

Those new levers I bought this week from this Forum are so cool....

• 2 weeks later...

Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young :grin:

:2c:

That's a good album. I have fond memories of it and was lucky enough to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse for free because I won a sand castle building contest. I can't make this stuff up.

That's a good album. I have fond memories of it and was lucky enough to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse for free because I won a sand castle building contest. I can't make this stuff up.

LOL

My high school filled out something like 30,000 3x5 cards hand writing, Care*Free

on each card.

We won a Hall and Oates concert :unsure:

It was not a great concert, but weird fun having big name musicians in our school auditorium...even if I only recognized two songs of theirs.

They didn't seem happy playing to ungrateful high school kids.

I would have prefered Neil Young :grin:

And the school would have preferred Olivia Newton John or the BeeGees :unsure:

I like Jihem's list too, but I'd like to add one band. Almost in every interview with rock, grunge or punkband they state they are in one way or another influenced by Rush.

That includes bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Dream Theater, Primus, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, Spock's Beard, Marillion, Godsmack, Metallica, Foo Fighters, etc.

(I know... I'm a bit biased. :D )