Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

I think Paul covered it, but just in case:

1)

a - You can certainly fit the Scura or 03 Rosso Corsa forks. These have the smaller, solid, screw-in axle. You would have to source these forks from Guzzi, or find them used, or some other way "gray market". Ohlins does not sell them direct.

b - Yes, in theory you should be able to simply swap the new Scura/RC forks into any 02 or earlier wheel with no spacer, bearing, or axle modification. However, it is still possible that the specs could be a bit different for any of those components from a 'standard' 00-02 wheel to one equipped with the ~02 Ohlins forks, but I don't think they are.

c - I think that is safe to say. I don't think that the newer Ohlins from late 03+ with the hollow axle are any different, although some say the spring/damping rate seems better with the newer forks :huh2:

2)

a - I have no idea, Paul says yes

b - Again, you cannot get the actual Guzzi Ohlins, except from Guzzi, and unless you get them used or otherwise somehow "not direct from Guzzi" ... they will be very expensive. I am sure anything directly from Ohlins would be cheaper.

c - Ducati parts are cheap and readily available(often in stock) as compared to many Guzzi parts. I had my Duc axle in a week. Who knows how long I would have had to wait for that part from Guzzi :P

d - I can't say. Mike Stewart made mine.

And just to reiterate, you will have to buy the Guzzi CF fender to fit any of the Ohlins forks, the original plastic fender on the Marz equipped bikes will not fit. You may find some other brand/make that may also fit, but I can only comment and endorse that the CF Guzzi front fender is a perfect fit.

Hope that helps.

al

again on the fender, I had a rsv mille R fender, that has the same mount. BEtter looks from my perspective, and it does a better job keepping the bottom fork legs from debris. The thing is they are made by aftermarket companys, for less than half the price as oem.

again on the fender, I had a rsv mille R fender, that has the same mount. BEtter looks from my perspective, and it  does a better job keepping the bottom fork legs from debris. The thing is they are made by aftermarket companys, for less than half the price as oem.

50881[/snapback]

I confirm and paid around 100 eur for a brand new one in carbon.

Paul / Al, thanks for the clarifications!

I can't seem to find any sources (or even search hits) on an FG313. Is it OEM for anything other than V11 or known by another part number? Would think it would be available from SOMEONE other than purchasing for full retail from Ohlins direct. I'll call Ohlins USA tomorrow and hopefully gets some info.

Only other concern is the hollow axle parts for my 02 wheel wheel. The Duc 999 parts and new 6005 Duc bearings are easy enough. But not sure I have enough info on the 104mm spacer in order to have a shop make one. This uncertainty is what is leaning me towards ordering a stock Cafe hollow axle...and probably waiting 2 months for it to get here.

only guzzi gets the fg313. ohins can't help.

which axle you use doesn't matter for the spacers, And first see that you get forks, and then think about the axcle/spacers. The spacer in the wheel, has to be measured on the wheel, the lenght is different on each wheel.

Such a marzocchi looks good, if it is as good as it looks??. But if you have a problem with one spacer, don't even think about such a thing, that's then 100x difficult for you. I know because I build 3 different forks in my bike last 3 years:-)

To go in the same way than Paul like him i build 2 axle for 2 different fork in the2 years. :2c:

I am working actually on 2 new forks (both ohlins) for 2 different front wheels with 2 different wheel axle.

The most important, get the fork put it in the triple clamp.

Then you must check how fit the brake disc with the calipers & after only think about the spacers.

For example i was obliged to reduce the wheel hub of one wheel from 2.5 mm eache side to put the racing disc i get in stock :food::luigi: .

On the other fork like Paul on his daytona i need to made 2 support to put the disc more outside ... :homer:

No bolt on with guzzi.

But yes with Paul we have a unique sickness and still no name found for this one :bier::P:thumbsup:

Ok al, the triple clamp mount is the same =54 mm, the lenght is 10mm extra, so you let it slip the gold 10mm more above your top triple clamp. So you can see it!

I just put the axle in, with the original v11 spacer, fits like a charm. My triple clamps are from Wp. but are the same size as guzzi makes them. Also the distance between the legs is the same.

11006[/snapback]

To confirm, will the 02 V11 Naked upper and lower triples will fit on to the new Ohlins forks? A dealer just told me that the 03+ Cafe's have a different triple trees....of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they are different dimensions..but maybe just different part numbers.

Also, here's a pic of the Cafe wheel. Is item 7 the spacer that I need to have fabricated? The cafe axle is only $30.

Thanks!

Cafesport_fork_1.gif

Cafesportftwheel.gif

No that one stays the same, you need part 3, between both bearings in the wheel. And becuase all weels are different, you need to measure the lenght first. Guzzi makes the spacers all equal, and there we see peoples wheel bearings break.

I had cafe sport forks, the same as Al and Jaap have. They are 54mm in the triples, and yours has that too. Measure it.

Did you cantact Antonio? I asked him and he can deliver, no problems.

• 1 month later...
The bearings have the number 6502-2rsi,

10444[/snapback]

I think you mean 6205-2rsi, not 6502-2rsi.

Thanks for the great posts everybody, especially Paul!

I just put my Ohlins on, from a 2003 Cafe Sport(I think). In any case it has the hollow axle.

I can't stop riding. :grin: But now the rear feels terrible...

I used an URB 6205-2rsr and a Napa/SKF 6205-2rsj. I replaced both for preventative reasons...

The inner spacer was really nicely done...Thanks Mike :bier:

This is so cool! I picked up this Öhlins fork in South Germany in Jan 2004 from a guy who converted his Café Sport to hold a sidecar. I sold it to Mike and now David has it.

:bier:

54498[/snapback]

This pair of forks gets around like my last girlfriend :lol:

But, I am in love, and I am keeping them! :wub:

A special thanks to the sidecar owner, Jaap, Mike, FedEx, Dutch Post, German Post, and whoever else helped keep them in such good shape.

FWIW another interesting note is that unlike the Road & Track's 20 clicks of rebound an compression, these forks have 32 clicks.

I seem to recall reading the Scura forks had 28clicks of adjustability, and Guzzi recommended was 13 clicks out.

I am running 18 clicks out for rebound and 20 clicks for compression.

The sag is fine, so I have not touched the preload.

I wonder how different they are on the inside compared to the Road and Track?

Ohlins even publishes two Road and track manuals.

One for FG43 with Buell on the cover, and one for the Ø43 with a Suzuki on the cover.

Both say maximum 20 clicks.