Moto Guzzi Monza

Orson

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where the idea that there is an "Italian Racing Green" came from. Those of us old enough to remember know where the colors came from: The Grand Prix auto racing series was truly an international competion, country pitted against country. Before race cars became moving sponsor bilboards, each car was painted a color associated with their country:

Britain was Green

Italy was Red

France was Blue

Germany was white, but then Mercedes was able to save a few pounds by not painting their aluminum bodied cars, so Germany was then Silver.

When the US went international racing in the 50's, all the solid colors were taken, so we got White with Blue stripes.

I don't have all the colors memorized, but Wikipedia has this table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inter...o_racing_colors

Alphabetic list

Code Country Body Bonnet Other Colors Numbers

A Austria Blue Black on white

ARG Argentina Blue Yellow Chassis: Black Red on white

AUS Australia Green Gold Blue

B Belgium Yellow Black

BR Brazil Pale yellow Chassis/Wheels: Green Black

BUL Bulgaria Green White Red on white

C Cuba Yellow Black Black on white

CDN Canada Traditional colors are white and green parallel stripes After the Canadian flag was changed in 1965 Red with wide lengthwise white stripes became popular Black

CH Switzerland Red White Black

CS Czechoslovakia White Blue/white Underframe: Red Blue

D Germany White bare metal (aluminium, "Silver Arrows") Red

DK Denmark Silver-grey National flag as a lengthwise stripe on bonnet Red on white

E Spain Red Yellow Chassis/Springs: Red Black on yellow or white on red

ET Egypt Pale violet Red on white

F France Blue White

FIN Finland White Two blue stripes on bonnet shaping a Latin cross Black on white

GB United Kingdom Green Scottish entrant Rob Walker used dark blue with a white noseband and Ecurie Ecosse also used dark blue; the Arrol Johnston team pre-World War 1 used navy tartan White

GR Greece Pale Blue Two white lengthwise stripes on bonnet Black on white

H Hungary Front: White

Rear: Green Red Black

HJK Jordan Brown Black on white

IND India Sky blue[1]

I Italy Red White

IRL Ireland Green Horizontal band of orange all around White

J Japan Ivory White Red disk on bonnet White on black

L Luxembourg Tricolor lengthwise stripe (red/white/blue) from front to rear Black on white

MAS Malaysia Yellow White Black on white/Black

MC Monaco White Red lateral stripe around car Black on white

MEX Mexico Gold Blue cross-stripe on bonnet Red on white

NL Netherlands Orange White

NZ New Zealand Green and silver Black and silver[2]

P Portugal Red Underframe: White White

PL Poland White Underframe: Red Red on white

RCH Chile Red Blue Underframe: White Blue/red or red on white

S Sweden Blue bottom, yellow top, three cross bands of blue on top of bonnet White

T Thailand Pale blue with yellow horizontal band around body and bonnet Wheels: Pale yellow White on blue

U Uruguay Pale blue with large red band around the lower part of bonnet White on black

USA United States White with blue lengthwise stripes Underframe: Blue Blue on white

ZA South Africa Gold Green Black on yellow

Boy I hope the Monza, or whatever the new guzzi sport model is called, won't be a 1200 sport with the new motor. This bike needs to compete with the R1200S. I think the new motor will be capable, especially if tweaked to a higher state of tune, but the new sport model will need to be quite a bit lighter than anything existing. Too much weight reduction needed for a simple motor swap. I'm hoping this is a whole new bike with the quattrovalvo motor. Obviously, I want an MGS-01-ish bike, but I'll take almost anything, provided it uses at least the R1200S as a benchmark.

dk

Care to point out the evidence that it's real?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic...70235#msg170235

Your color #'s are based on your monitor, David, not a real bike. I, at least have a real Tenni in my garage to look at.

No, it is based on Photoshop's digital analysis of the image.

And wikipedia's definitions of BRG and Olive.

The photoshop analysis is independent of my monitor and is only as accurate as the images are....which like I said is not very accurate, and probably was a big waste of time.

Thanks for posting the wildguzzi link.

I'll read it and get back to you.

Care to point out the evidence that it's real?

Define real.

Sure it is real.

There is certainly no evidence it is photochopped.

What are the chances that they photochopped the two photos that appear here

http://itsyokohama.web.fc2.com/guzzi_07.htm

and the photo that appears here???

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2228/1200ttrkb6.png

Not very likely.

Does that mean that this will be the Monza? Of will the Monza ever come to be?

I can only guess.

It is a nice looking bike, but not near as beautiful and unique as the MGS01.

I can only hope that Guzzi has the sense to release the Monza, or whatever they will call it, with more of the styling from the MGS01

Joe, thanx for the list! :thumbsup:

Everything is clear now.

BTW: the red colour (color) was associated to Alfa Romeo. Or better, Alfa Romeo made sure this color becames a succes in the car racing world.

Ferrari use to be Jellow. When Alfa stopped with racing, Ferrari was allowed by Alfa to continue the tradition of the red color.

Amen!

Define real.

Sure it is real.

There is certainly no evidence it is photochopped.

What are the chances that they photochopped the two photos that appear here

http://itsyokohama.web.fc2.com/guzzi_07.htm

and the photo that appears here???

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2228/1200ttrkb6.png

Not very likely.

Does that mean that this will be the Monza? Of will the Monza ever come to be?

I can only guess.

It is a nice looking bike, but not near as beautiful and unique as the MGS01.

I can only hope that Guzzi has the sense to release the Monza, or whatever they will call it, with more of the styling from the MGS01

Well if you read Goffredos post better you would know what the bike was made for. Four years ago. But maybe in six weeks we know more. This bike is not going like this in production, it's a bit dated design.

Well if you read Goffredos post better you would know what the bike was made for. Four years ago. But maybe in six weeks we know more. This bike is not going like this in production, it's a bit dated design.

I read Goffredos post fine.

I just don't know how to value his statement.

It certainly does not imprint a photographic image in my mind

He says,

Imagine a 1200 Sport with the new 4V engine. Half fairing, different tail, aggressive look (but the same Breva tank). Definetely more a sport tourer (such as the V11 Le Mans) rather than supersport.

This message will self destroy in 9, 8, 7.... wink.gif

LET US READ BETTER

Reading analytically his description differs from the TTR image and the MGS01 as follows:

"Imagine a 1200 Sport with the new 4V engine." No problem, sounds excellent. Does 4V mean half as many valves as the 8VGriso? Maybe I am having trouble reading better. I hope that Goffredo is wrong and it is an 8V or I hope that I read better and understand it as 4 valves per cylinder. Why can't we get this terminology right?

"Half fairing," Like an MGS01???? I can only hope. If Goffredo is correct, that does define it to be different that the TTR, although they could keep the TTR fairing shape in a half fairing, which if you look closely, if you cropped the TTR fairing to half fairing, took off the mickey mouse mirror/turn signals, and put a grill over the two headlights, you would have an MGS01 fairing. Don't believe me, maybe I'll photochop it for you.

"different tail," Yah, OK, fine.

"aggressive look (but the same Breva tank). " Blech!!! why can't they make it look like an MGS01 or the TTR and take those stupid chrome plastic things off the front of the tank. Guzzi if you are reading this, don't do it!!!

"Definetely more a sport tourer (such as the V11 Le Mans) rather than supersport."

Are they going to make two Norges? That does not make sense to me. He says more like a V11LeMans, OK well, the TTR appears to have nice laid back super-sport design ergonomics only slightly more aggressive than a V11 Le Mans.

Is that why you are criticizing my reading skills, Paul? Because I think terms supersport and sport tourer become ambiguous enough that I think the TTR could fit either category.

The Monza should be the counter option to the Griso, for those that want less of a pimp bike. The Monza should have the styling quality that made the V1100Sport and V11Sport and MGS01 such desirable bikes, unlike the Breva (sorry Breva fans.)

"This message will self destroy in 9, 8, 7.... wink.gif "

Yah, like the photo that Paul originally linked to. Were they asked to take the image down?

Apparently, and I stand to be corrected here, the reason british racing green came about was they wanted to use red on the brit cars, but the italians had already taken it. It turns out one of the chief engineers was Irish, which way back then was British anyway, so they decided on green.

Nice story, not sure if it's true though.

well to refine:

-there are enough pictures of the proto to show it's no photoshop.

-Goffredo writes it's an old proto, from the time the breva was desiged to show how to make a more sporty bike on the same basis.

- I know Goffredo has more connections close to the factory, so might know more, but can't tell all.

I don't know what the problem with the chrome is, these are attached pieces, when there is an fairing, that can attach to the tank just there, look norge or r1200s

• 1 year later...
Apparently, and I stand to be corrected here, the reason british racing green came about was they wanted to use red on the brit cars, but the italians had already taken it. It turns out one of the chief engineers was Irish, which way back then was British anyway, so they decided on green.

Nice story, not sure if it's true though.

Far as I know,you're right,Ferg.BRG was actually Irish Racing Green,first used in the Gordon Bennett races,some of the very first motor races,held across Ireland as the Brits wouldnt allow racing on public roads.

Or something.

The Monza should be the counter option to the Griso, for those that want less of a pimp bike. The Monza should have the styling quality that made the V1100Sport and V11Sport and MGS01 such desirable bikes, unlike the Breva (sorry Breva fans.)

whatsa pimp bike? :lol: