ThunderbikeUK Rookie Champion on a Guzzi

Guest gyles

Folks, just for anyone interested, I have just won the ThunderbikeUK Rookie Championship on my Daytona RS. I have raced at 8 rounds this year competing in 32 races at Brands Hatch, Cadwell, Snetterton etc... 1DNS and 5DNFS and the last 4 rounds we've been running in the top 10 95% of the time. Next year we'll be on an MGS01 running bang on the power:weight limit and hoping for some podiums and wins. Cheers, Gyles

post-5788-1191401169_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Folks, just for anyone interested, I have just won the ThunderbikeUK Rookie Championship on my Daytona RS. I have raced at 8 rounds this year competing in 32 races at Brands Hatch, Cadwell, Snetterton etc... 1DNS and 5DNFS and the last 4 rounds we've been running in the top 10 95% of the time. Next year we'll be on an MGS01 running bang on the power:weight limit and hoping for some podiums and wins. Cheers, Gyles

You are the man! Congratulations for doing us proud :bier::bier::bier:

From Yorkshire too :notworthy:

Mate! What can we say? You 'de MAN!!!! Very impressive. Especially the figures.

Lots of people think that racing involves dressing up like a c*nt and circulating with a few other c*nts until someone wins! Alas, this is not the case. If you *really* race you have a heap of DNF's until you get it right. Then the ratio goes down but never stops! Even Moto GP teams have days they'd rather forget.

I Have to ask though? What was the opposition? Blind men on tricycles? :grin: (No, that IS a joke!!!)

Pete

Well done Gyles - Congratulations. You didn't take the obvious or easy route (if there is one in racing). I'm sure it's been a lot of effort to get out there but when it comes right I bet it feels good!

Best of luck for next year. Maybe I'm just a miserable sod but I always figure: expect nowt & you won't be disappointed - once expectations go up enjoyment can suffer.

Where's the MGS01 coming from?

GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

KB :sun:

I Have to ask though? What was the opposition? Blind men on tricycles? :grin: (No, that IS a joke!!!)

Pete

Hiya Pete !

There were a couple of blind men on tricycles but they were lapping alot faster than us lot so they got moved into the Powerbikes series instead :P

Main competition were....

Suzuki SV650 - most bored to 700cc, slipper clutches, quick shifts and lightened so much they'd float away if they weren't chained down.

Duke 748s

Honda CBR600 (steel framed)

ZXR750

early GSXR750s

and then a lot of odd stuff.... (like the Guzzi)

Yamaha FZ750

Laverda 750S (zane twins)

Cagiva Raptors (650) - basically an SV

some Aprilia/KTM supermoto/enduros

a right old mix...

The winner was on a SV700... and there were two others in the top 5. Phil Read Jnr (son of THE Phil Read) ran an £80,000 developed 750S Lav to third overall.

Can't wait to get back out there and I only finished racing on Sunday - it'll be a loooong winter.

G

Excellent !

But were you on a weight penalty for 1100 cc or did you go down to 700cc or whatever?

Excellent again!

Joe

:bier:

Hi Joe,

There is an overall power:weight limit so a 700cc SV producing 85bhp can't weigh under 154kg.

The limit is 1bhp:4lbs (or 1.814kg).

The Guzzi was dyno'd on the last round and made 93bhp and weighted 216kg. At 216kg she would have been allowed to produce 119bhp so we were actually well down on power for what the bike weighed !

G

Ah yes! But you had torque of 1100 cc's - that had to help on the tighter parts of the courses, and a little more HP would make you unstoppable! I wonder why the class settled on around 700cc? Ducati 1000cc twins would be another relative torque monster.

Again an excellent season!

Joe

We're not worthy! :notworthy:

Well done, Gyles. Good to see you're flying the Italian flag and doing so well :race:

Arse! (Rob, Mal, Guy and Helen told me the story..... :P )

Søren

Ah yes! But you had torque of 1100 cc's - that had to help on the tighter parts of the courses, and a little more HP would make you unstoppable! I wonder why the class settled on around 700cc? Ducati 1000cc twins would be another relative torque monster.

Again an excellent season!

Joe

Hi Joe,

The rules are all here if you are curious...

http://www.thunderbikeuk.com/rules_overview.php

There will be some duke twins out next year.

The Guzzi is only 992cc and those 4 valvers like to rev - you always have to be on the revs - if you relied on low down torque you'd get destroyed. I'd say the Guzzi never revs below 5500 during a race and is normally always 6200-8200rpm... sometimes higher - hello mr valve - meet mr piston.

Great stuff Gyles- you really are a hero for wrestling that fat motherlover of a Guzzi around those tracks and getting great results.

Looking forward to supporting you next year.

Regards

Guy :helmet:

P.S. Is Chris going to enter next year?