Late model pork chop to engine brace

FuelCooler

An astute observation, BFG. :thumbsup::drink:

someone has to state the obvious, somewhere along the line -_-

But here, how many rally fireside chats does it take to properly heat-cycle a Guzzi rider and get him well-tempered and nicely broken-in?

Does the lubrication process play an important role?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steve,

the engine case has molded in thicker parts where the holes are in. The holes end up just behind the clutch.

If you want it, I suppose the best option is,

-1 to buy an new v11 engine case. ( HMB in germany sells them)

-2 bore a 25 hole where the holes should be, press a billet piece alu in and weld it inside and outside on the engine case. If you dare welding the case.

but the brace between the porkchops makes sense from an engineering point.

Another option would be to add lower frame rails, like on a tonti. This connects the bottom porkshop to the front engine bolt. and takes stress of the engine.

Another option would be to add lower frame rails, like on a tonti. This connects the bottom porkshop to the front engine bolt. and takes stress of the engine.

I always wondered about this. Paul, did you do anything to your bike to increase the stiffness after the horsepower injection?

This is a great thread. I've often wondered about "fixing" the early V11s. Keep on it. I recall that Stan Freiduss did some interesting bracing to his Sport racer.

dk

I don't think the piastra colleg did anything for handling. It was tedious to install, but my gearcase has not cracked again. :D

All the bracing, the wider tire, longer frame and even handlebars arrived when Aprilia took over production and responded to all the grousing and griping about the early Sport's vibration and weave.

The later Sport certainly has a more plush ride, but all the RedFrame really needed was suspension set-up and different tires. Those Pirelli Dragon Corse sure didn't like high speed straight lines with any cross wind; especially if their pressures were down a bit.

I always wondered about this. Paul, did you do anything to your bike to increase the stiffness after the horsepower injection?

This is a great thread. I've often wondered about "fixing" the early V11s. Keep on it. I recall that Stan Freiduss did some interesting bracing to his Sport racer.

dk

Well I did two things, a diagonal in the front engine mount.

And a crossbrace between leftright porkchops, but that area has nothing from factory anyway, since the swingarm was extended to pivot near the gearbox.

And to gid rid of that wel known stability, I cut the steeringhead and welded it on 2 degrees steeper. I want a steering bike, not a straightline bike.

Worst case senario...welding the cases....shhhhhhucks. Hmmm. Late cases might be an option. Were silver cases ever made with the required extra material? Any idea what a bare set of cases go for? Any one have a blistered set of the black ones they want to sell? Damn, there goes the Ohlins fund! :D

Guest ratchethack
Try to find a picture of Mike Hailwood getting anywhere near close to this lean angle of Valentino Rossi.

<a href="http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Ro...gello06_03r.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images/Ro...gello06_03r.JPG</a>

Here's one of my all-time Classic favorite shots of Hailwood and the 250cc RC-166 Honda 6, at the French Grand Prix at Clermont Ferrand, 1966.

Consider the relatively crude bias-ply technology and "bakelite" tire compounds of the day:

Hey, Dave -- no need for protractors, horizon level analysis, parallax compensation algorithms, or Photoshop circles and arrows. :lol:;)

post-1212-1193412848.jpg

post-1212-1193413542_thumb.jpg

Here's one of my all-time Classic favorite shots of Hailwood and the 250cc RC-166 Honda 6, at the French Grand Prix at Clermont Ferrand, 1966.

Consider the relatively crude bias-ply technology and "bakelite" tire compounds of the day:

Hey, Dave -- no need for protractors, horizon level analysis, paralax compensation algorithms, or Photoshop circles and arrows. :lol:;)

Excellent comparison!

Thanks for reinforcing my point -_-

Bakelite? :not:

Tires back then could be made sticky, but they did not have the technology yet for combining longevity, grip, etc.

Or maybe you would like to believe that Hailwood is defying the laws of physics???

So here are a couple of photos of Stan's racer. Anyone know what he did there? You can see a long rail going to the front of the engine case, not sure how it was accomplished, but it seems that it's in line with what we're discussing. Paul, you've mentioned this before. Do you know how they accomplished this on the old cases?

More photos of the bike here: http://www.guzzitech.com/racers/guzziracers2.html

139_3927.JPG

stan5.JPG

well, the picture tells the story, it starts at the porkchop, then has a mount on a bottom engine bolt, and goes to the front engine bolt. And to get this working, it stould be as straight as possible.

Are the engine cases unmodified then? This would seem to be the answer to the early V11 questions then, if so.

dk

Guest ratchethack
Try to find a picture of Mike Hailwood getting anywhere near close to this lean angle of Valentino Rossi.
Excellent comparison!

Thank you, Dave. I kinda thought so myself. -_-

Thanks for reinforcing my point -_-

Uh-oh. . .[sigh]. . . :homer:

Um, if you've made a point above that I've somehow reinforced, Dave, it's completely escaped me. Could you kindly enlighten me. By what possible twisted contortion of illogic might I have managed to accomplish this??

Enquiring minds (well, I b'lieve you know darn well. . .[sigh]. . .) :whistle:

post-1212-1193422378.jpg

post-1212-1193422772_thumb.jpg

well, the picture tells the story, it starts at the porkchop, then has a mount on a bottom engine bolt, and goes to the front engine bolt. And to get this working, it stould be as straight as possible.

Doc:

As Paul said, the side tubes bolt to the timong cover. There's a boss there for the lower front engine mount used on other Guzzis.