Another New Guzzi

Tom M

Oh, no apology necessary, really. <_>

I didn't like the Thruxton when I rode it because it was a shadow of what it could have been. I would love to be proved wrong about the new, small block 750 Guzzi, but I suspect that those who implied it was just another 750T in drag are quite correct. A cynic would suggest that this is the accountants trying to ring the maximum profit out of a very dated design. Nothing too wrong with that in principle, I suppose. After all, it brought us the V11! Nothing wrong with the Breva 750, either - it's a proper, cheap, go-to-work bike.

But this one looks to me too much like Guzzi taking the p**s!

Oh, I have no doubt that the new v7 Classic is nothing more than a re-skinned Nevada 750ie Classic...

I, too, think that the Bonneville variants could be much more than they are. So, too, the smallblock Guzzis...

I believe you're right about Piaggio re-skinning the Nevada in order to sqeeze a little more life and money out of a platform that was paid for years ago!!!

I'm sure they're trying to bring revenue into Guzzi in any way they can to recover some of thier investment...

Whatever the reason, I like the result... I'd love to have a little standard for around-town duties... I've been considering Bonnevilles and Sportsters... Now Guzzi has given me a choice... I'm glad...

I don't need a track bike, I have my Sport 1100. I don't need a sport-tourer, I have my Nero Corsa... The little V7 Classic is going to be a small, lightweight standard that harks back to Guzzis of the late '60s / early '70s. That's good in my book...

Of course, I love bikes like the Guzzi 1000 S, the Ducati SportClassics, the Bonneville, and the Sportster...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I have no doubt that the new v7 Classic is nothing more than a re-skinned Nevada 750ie Classic...

I, too, think that the Bonneville variants could be much more than they are. So, too, the smallblock Guzzis...

I believe you're right about Piaggio re-skinning the Nevada in order to sqeeze a little more life and money out of a platform that was paid for years ago!!!

I'm sure they're trying to bring revenue into Guzzi in any way they can to recover some of thier investment...

Whatever the reason, I like the result... I'd love to have a little standard for around-town duties... I've been considering Bonnevilles and Sportsters... Now Guzzi has given me a choice... I'm glad...

I don't need a track bike, I have my Sport 1100. I don't need a sport-tourer, I have my Nero Corsa... The little V7 Classic is going to be a small, lightweight standard that harks back to Guzzis of the late '60s / early '70s. That's good in my book...

Of course, I love bikes like the Guzzi 1000 S, the Ducati SportClassics, the Bonneville, and the Sportster...

Well said :thumbsup: These retro bikes are a great way to rekindle the emotion of bikes we knew and loved in the past, but with all the modern technology. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sport varient follow, maybe a special limited edition. I have been condiering a breva 750 for my wife who is ready to upgrade from the ninjs 250 and this bike would be my first choice.

A dog with fleas.

Ducati and Triumph got the retro thing right.

FF

:vomit:

It depends on what an individual wants. This MG is a basic bike making no performance claims, it's idea of retro is kind of like an Italian Harley. Many companies say retro with parts bin collections that look "old" and perform "old". I like Ducati's approach of old style flavor with modern components. Triumph is in the middle of the road getting the look right but falling a little short on the performance and handling.

I wish Kenny Dreer would have gotten his idea of retro off of the ground. - http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

We've still got a few flathead Fords running around my grandmother's farm,

Hey, watch who you're insulting, pointy-head!

:lol:

Flathead disguised under overly-compensated headgear

gerald_ford.jpg

Flathead nots so well disguised by youthfully exuberant hair-do

ford.gif

Guest Road Weazel

I thought this was a really neat little bike. I found myself wanting to have another look at it once I got done with work, and I don't even have a need for one. MrV50 didn't seem to think it had enough 'attitude' or was sporty enuff but I noticed that he's got 3 very nice sportbikes. Not everyone wants a sportbike. I'm only 40 but I remember when motorcycles were just motorcycles. What made it a 'Touring' bike was whether or not you were on a tour and a 'Sportbike' was 'Your Bike' if you were going around a corner and you had to lean really hard (with your body centred over the bike, toes out to feel for the ground).

Weazel gives it a :thumbsup:

Well, you did sort of insinuate he did not know what he said. -_- He was kind with his response, I thought.

Besides, he's right anyway, the new job doesn't hold a candle to the original V7. It's a mere shadow. :glare:

:thumbsup: Well, I was trying to be kind! I do have 30 years of pre-unit Triumph 650s!

The fact is, my 750S3 will cover roads round here at the same rate as my V11 Sport, give or take a second in acceleration; I can't see the new 750 doing that! OK the new 750 isn't a state of the art sportsbike, as the S3 was in 1976 but then, why dress it to resemble a 1970s state of the Art Sportsbike......? The new 750 isn't homage; it's parody! It's actually the modern-day equivalent of an MZ 250.......in drag!

All I can say is that the v7 Classic is a bike that will keep me from buying a Bonneville or Sportster for around-town runabout duties...

I'm glad Guzzi is building something "new" that I want to buy... They haven't done that since the Nero Corsa...

:sun:

All I can say is that the v7 Classic is a bike that will keep me from buying a Bonneville or Sportster for around-town runabout duties...

I'm glad Guzzi is building something "new" that I want to buy... They haven't done that since the Nero Corsa...

:sun:

We can agree on that: an MZ 250 would keep me from buying a Sportster! Hey, if you get a "Classic" [can't bring myself to use the term "V7" in this context], will you sell me your Nero Corsa, or your 1100 Sport? :D