V11 owner looks longingly at BMW HP2 Sport

Kind of strange to post on the V11 forum but as a V11 owner I would like to think it is OK to mention a bike of possible interest to others similarly inclined.

So, I got a look at the new BMW HP2 Sport at the Seattle Cycle show recently. It was my favorite bike of the entire show. Of course I haven't ridden the thing.

I do not have pictures of my own for this bike but here is a link to some info on this amazing bike:

BMW HP2 Sport review

The bike is very light and balances easily between the knees. The riding position is similar to a V11 Sport, not super aggressive [but certainly not upright].

The rear headlight holder of CF is a work of art.

The triple clamp is beautifully machined (image is in article). The rearsets are gorgeous. Quality much in evidence.

People were standing around with their jaws on the floor looking at this bike.

The price is high - estimated to be 26-28K USD in the States when it arrives.

My 2 cents is this bike is a winner.

Happy V11 owner (still)

Bob

p.s. 130 bhp

True, the BMW boxer bikes are pretty cool.

But (there always seems to be a "but" in there somewhere), they are soooo effing dull to ride. (Ok, to be fair, I am intentionally avoiding a test ride on any R1200 model).

I jumped ship from Guzzi when I totalled my 2002 Le Mans (remember the flaking black engine paint?) and bought a used R1100S that I put over 10k miles on and then sold to my dentist.

While still in possession of the S, I bought a 2003 R1150GS Sport in October of 2003 and have put over 55k miles on it mostly commuting.

I now also own a 2000 Jackal (bought used, ridden over 5k so far) and a 2007 Griso (also bought used and ridden over 4k so far). Guess which bike is the last one I throw a leg over most of the time? Yep, it's the GS.

I cannot explain why the GS seems so dull to ride. Performance-wise, it blows the Griso away, never mind the Jackal. The Big Beemer has an amazing lunge from 95mph on in 6th gear. it's waaaayyyyy faster than either of my Guzzi's, has better brakes (non-ABS, TVM), and is better in the canyons (can you say Ohlins?). It's more comfortable over distances and rides better on the freeway (a LOT better than the Jackal, only slightly more so than the Griso).

So what is it about these damn Guzzi's that make me want to ride them and leave the clearly superior motorcycle sitting in the garage with the battery slowly dying?

Because it doesn't sound like a Guzzi, and it doesn't feel like a Guzzi.

GUZZI - It's a disease and I've got it bad. And if you're reading this to the end, you probably do too.

Ride safe. Ride often. Ride far. And WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

-Jack (infected since July 2001)

I think about a change in my sporting bike and the R1200S is on the short list along with a KTM Super Duke or an Aprilla. Since my garage is near the critical mass stage, the V11 would have to go. Every time I ride it, I forget about wanting change. I've ridden two R1200 BMWs, an RT and a GS. It is a great motor even in that state of tune, but it has very little character.

The Guzzi has a soul like few others. At least for now, I think I'll keep it.

Guest ratchethack
GUZZI - It's a disease and I've got it bad. And if you're reading this to the end, you probably do too.

Superb post, Jack. :thumbsup:

IMHO it ain't a disease, it just means you're now taking "grad" courses. I figure there are 2 kinds of riders: Those who've got the "bigger, better, faster" itch, and those who've developed an immunity to that itch that only comes (if it ever comes) from many miles with many bikes over many years.

I'm with you, my friend. :mg:

I must say I love that HP2 sport as well, in fact I like the whole HP2 line! I had the chance to sit on the new Megamoto and loved it, as soon as I can ride it I will, its a fantastic motorcycle that looks like it would be a sweet bike. The HP2 sport is something special a true sports bike for sure. I have ridden several new R1200s's and while its a fine motorcycle it didn't feel like it was any better than my RC. No way could I justify the money to move to bike that was not much different from the Guzzi i was riding. The HP2's however are very different and a blast to ride, Maybe when i'm ready to buy a Megamoto Guzzi will have something to offer that will be similar ... modern NTX maybe?

I love the bike, and think it's EXACTLY what Guzzi should build (only with MGS-01 styling, etc). However, they missed the mark wildly on the price. Considering that the 1098S is $19,995, that bike just isn't worth an additional $10k, even if I'd rather have it than the 1098. I'd probably swallow the price if it was a true, street legal MGS-01, but only because I love Guzzi so much. That bike will be a winner, but with the inflated price, I doubt it will have the impact it should.

dk

I have a hard time believing anyone would pay 30k for that bike. It looks kinda cool, & the performance is good but not up to modern standards. For double the price of a Ducati I dont think you should have to make excuses for less power. That bike has $12k written all over it, I dont care how they market the thing.

I have a hard time believing anyone would pay 30k for that bike. It looks kinda cool, & the performance is good but not up to modern standards. For double the price of a Ducati I dont think you should have to make excuses for less power. That bike has $12k written all over it, I dont care how they market the thing.

that has stanley steamer written all over it, even the HP2 enduro hasn't held its value and I reallllly like that one, might still be an option if I Can't get ahold of a stelvio, stanley steamer- those that could afford it, didn't want it, those that couldn't afford it, wanted it. I totally agree that has ahem more like $15000 written all over it as BMW is always higher priced cause they can. I wouldn't even buy one at 15k tho. -_-

It looks nice made, but it is so extreme ugly. Does noone see that? Do the carbon bits blind so much? A bike should be like a woman, nice forms you want to close to.

Amen, which is why we lust after Italian bikes (& women).

dk