Cross About Crossover

Bill Hagan

Hey Mike, Mike,

I had the crossover pipe rattle on my 03 Rosso when cold also. When I installed the Stucchi crossover the header pipes had to be squezzed inward for the Stucchi crossover. Bottom line is no more forward crossover float and no more rattle and of corse more torque and power. :thumbsup:

Mike

Checked my cross-over this morning prior to going for a ride. Loose, you could swing it with your finger, when cold (75 F). Started the bike and it rattled for a few seconds against the "tonque" of the alternator cover until the temp of the pipe got to about 115 F (using IR Gun). Pipe was starting to tighten up approaching 215F (idleing). Went for a 20 mile ride, 50-80 mph, and rechecked

by the side of the road and it was snug. I think that with the limited possible movement of the main pipes it is important for the cross-over to have room to expand without putting pressure on the rest of the system. I am just going to dismiss this and keep riding.

Mike

Checked my cross-over this morning prior to going for a ride.  Loose, you could swing it with your finger, when cold (75 F).  Started the bike and it rattled for a few seconds against the "tonque" of the alternator cover until the temp of the pipe got to about 115 F (using IR Gun).  Pipe was starting to tighten up approaching 215F (idleing).  Went for a 20 mile ride, 50-80 mph, and rechecked

by the side of the road and it was snug.  I think that with the limited possible  movement of the main pipes it is important for the cross-over to have room to expand without putting pressure on the rest of the system.  I am just going to dismiss this and keep riding. 

Mike

Thanks to both Mikes for the additional info. Maybe I should do that, too, i.e., forget it and ride.

Anyway, FWIW, I did check the Ballabio on the floor at the dealer while they messed with mione, and noted that the crosspipe was tight.

The "might crack if too tight" point makes sense, tho, and think I recall that this was a frequent complaint of Quota owners with welded cross pipes. I think I'll try to get it so it shifts a bit without rattling.

Bill

That looks like a great ride! And 'close' by US standards. Of course those 'little' mountains might slow your average speed a bit. :bike:

Weren't the crossovers introduced in '03 presumably for better midrange? The pipes on my 2000 are separate. So separate right now, in fact, that they are lying in different parts of the garage. :luigi::luigi:

Guest Texas Boy

I have a 2003 Le Mans and after about 3000 miles not only was the crossover bar loose, but both of the headers at the engine actually split. My dealer replaced the whole system and after about 100 miles, my crossover is loose again. At least

the exhaust isn't split. According to my dealer, the pipes can't ever be tightened enough so the crossover doesn't move, since it is kind of like a "ball joint". Any how, I thought I would add my experience.

Jeff

I've heard of this before. I wonder if the constant vibration/movement of the crossover stresses the headers where they are mated to the cylinders?

...well at this point, it sounds to me that after all of these complaints, that this front cross-over is going to have to be an official warantee issue for Guzzi.

All I can guess is that once enough people bring them in to their dealers for service, Guzzi will see the trend in warantee work, and only then do something officially for all those affected.... much like our 2002 paint issues.

It's too bad really ... but just make sure that when you have this problem, report it to your dealer so that Guzzi can see the claims in large enough numbers to start a recall/bulletin program sooner than later.

al