How sorted are they?

belfastguzzi

Breva, Griso, Sport, Norge - - -

Now that they've been out and about for a couple of years, some a bit less, some a bit more, what's the longer term experience of the newer generation of Guzzis? All machinery has niggles, but do they have substantially less troubles than the V.11 has had? Better fit of parts, better durability, strength and accuracy of construction, oil tightness? Better quality control? Is there more integrity to the overall machinery, a cohesive sum of parts? What about durability and resistance to corrosion?

General long term satisfaction?

If folk reply, you could specify which model you have.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having any specific answers, but actually I was thinking just a couple of hours ago the 2008 Norge is probably pretty much sorted, with some modifications to known problems. What I do not know is how many of those problems are being fixed at recalls on '06 and '07 bikes without the owners fighting very hard for it, and maybe that is even more interesting in a way, even if I were to buy a '08.

I have a 07 Griso (first one sold in Maryland). My wife has a 01 V11. Comparing the two, I'd say build quality is improved. Fit and finish is much better. Quality of components is up (less rusting of bolts and whatnot). Quality of engineering is much the same. There are faults in the design of the mechanical components, but that just leaves room for improvement. To wrap up, I'd say that it is an evolutionary step. Better in most ways, but still a Guzzi.

I think there was a CARC recall for early Breva 1100s, and I know some Norge owners have been complaining about the ride height on laden up Norges.

But apart from that there seems a lot less complaining and troubleshooting regarding the newer bikes . The Guzzitech forum specifically for the newer bikes may be worth a read through.

Wot ya thinking of getting?

Guy

I work at a Guzzi dealership. We've seen very few issues. Most are annoying but not really serious things like leaky dashes on B11s and Norges. We've got some with up to 50,000 miles on them so far, mostly from commuting in-city, and the owners are totally happy with them. It's easy to modify things so that B11 and Norge centerstands no longer touch down. If you like good suspension, the Griso is the best choice.

I work at a Guzzi dealership. We've seen very few issues. Most are annoying but not really serious things like leaky dashes on B11s and Norges. We've got some with up to 50,000 miles on them so far, mostly from commuting in-city, and the owners are totally happy with them. It's easy to modify things so that B11 and Norge centerstands no longer touch down. If you like good suspension, the Griso is the best choice.

Can you comment on a particular thing Greg? It might be of little consequence to most people, but some of us have talked about it here before. The point where the front top sub-frame bolts to the engine is, to my mind, poorly considered in the V.11, given it's structural importance. The timing case is very thin there, where it bolts to the main case, and so can crack there, at and around the bolt hole, where it thins below the bracket. Is the case below and around the bracket beefed up on the later engine design, to make it stronger? Is the hanging placement / arrangement at the front still essentially the same as it was with the V.11? I particularly wonder if they've addressed this with the Stelvio, which is made to be loaded up with gear and is intended to have some capability for a bit of rough-roading. The potential for damage from a heavy drop should surely have been taken into consideration, especially as a cracked timing chest is really not repairable on the road / on tour. I suppose you guys won't see the Stelvio for some time yet, but what about the other recent models? I forgot to look when I saw a Griso in the flesh a few weeks ago.

Thanks, DB

Funnily enough the same guy had recently posted to say he had done 4550kms on his 8V Griso with no problems whatsoever- but I'm guessing that at least one person somewhere has had a problem.

Maybe one of the dealers that post on here has access to a relevant technical bulletin?

Can you comment on a particular thing Greg? It might be of little consequence to most people, but some of us have talked about it here before. The point where the front top sub-frame bolts to the engine is, to my mind, poorly considered in the V.11, given it's structural importance. The timing case is very thin there, where it bolts to the main case, and so can crack there, at and around the bolt hole, where it thins below the bracket. Is the case below and around the bracket beefed up on the later engine design, to make it stronger? Is the hanging placement / arrangement at the front still essentially the same as it was with the V.11? I particularly wonder if they've addressed this with the Stelvio, which is made to be loaded up with gear and is intended to have some capability for a bit of rough-roading. The potential for damage from a heavy drop should surely have been taken into consideration, especially as a cracked timing chest is really not repairable on the road / on tour. I suppose you guys won't see the Stelvio for some time yet, but what about the other recent models? I forgot to look when I saw a Griso in the flesh a few weeks ago.

Thanks, DB

Yes, that front cover is substantially reinforced compared to that of the V11. The reinforcements are internal and were part of making that cover a stiff one on which to mount the alternator. It is still a hanging arrangement on the Griso and B1100/1200/norge. The Stelvio has yet to come to the US, so I haven't seen one yet.

Last week I had a chat with a guy with a Griso.

He said it was very nice.

That's nice to know, BigJ. Very nice indeed. :P

What's your plan David?

Well, Antonio. I think I'll go out to the Guzzi shop this afternoon and have another look around. Maybe a plan will come to me when I'm there. :whistle::thumbsup:

Ah, right. I was just about to leave the house.

Well, no harm in looking I suppose. Here goes.

:rolleyes:

Maybe call by the Triumph dealer on the way. :wacko: