Please explain it to me.

Or are you just full of insults and no substance like your brother Ratchet.

Are we feeling sensitive today Dave? We're talking about cartoons for Pete's sake. Why do you always have to start an argument? What makes you think you were even on my radar? I did not insult you. Seems you always find yourself insulted though. My comments about those old cartoons being PI is substantiated on your favorite internet information source, Wikipedia.

Like this:

"Controversy - Stereotypes

A handful of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts from the World War II era are no longer aired on American television nor are they available for sale by Warner Bros. because of the racial stereotypes of African-Americans, Jews (especially in the earlier cartoons, despite the fact that all four of the Warner Bros. were Jewish as well[11]), Japanese, Chinese people, and Germans (especially during WWII, as in "Tokio Jokio") included in some of the cartoons. Eleven cartoons that prominently featured stereotypical black characters (and a few passing jokes about Japanese people, as was the case with Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs and Jungle Jitters) were withdrawn from distribution in 1968 and are known as the Censored Eleven. This has caused dismay among some animation enthusiasts, who feel that they should have access to these shorts. There has been some success in returning these cartoons to the public; in 1999 all Speedy Gonzales cartoons were made unavailable because of their alleged stereotyping of Mexicans, but because the level of stereotyping was minor compared to the World War II era cartoons as well as the protests of many Hispanics who said they were not offended and fondly remembered Speedy Gonzales cartoons from their youth, these shorts were made available for broadcast again in 2002.

In addition to these most notorious cartoons, many Warner cartoons contain fleeting or sometimes extended gags that reference then-common racial or ethnic stereotypes. The release of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3 includes a disclaimer at the beginning of each DVD in the volume given by Whoopi Goldberg which explains that the cartoons are products of their time and contain racial and ethnic stereotypes that these days would be considered offensive, but the cartoons are going to be presented on the DVD uncut and uncensored because editing them out and therefore denying that the stereotypes existed is almost as bad as condoning them."

I'm quite sure most children didn't get it. I can comment on the content of these cartoons because I'm old enough to have actually watched them. I'm not however going to be pulled into a political arguement with you about it.

Another thing, Ratchet is not my brother... He may be a cousin though.... :huh:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ratchethack

Say Jaap, may I suggest a new Forum department for frequent complainers. :lol:

post-1212-1205088343.jpg

I'll drop this one in the new Forum suggestion box. ;)

post-1212-1205090598.jpg

Are we feeling sensitive today Dave? We're talking about cartoons for Pete's sake. Why do you always have to start an argument? What makes you think you were even on my radar? I did not insult you. Seems you always find yourself insulted though. My comments about those old cartoons being PI is substantiated on your favorite internet information source, Wikipedia.

Like this:

"Controversy - Stereotypes

A handful of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts from the World War II era are no longer aired on American television nor are they available for sale by Warner Bros. because of the racial stereotypes of African-Americans, Jews (especially in the earlier cartoons, despite the fact that all four of the Warner Bros. were Jewish as well[11]), Japanese, Chinese people, and Germans (especially during WWII, as in "Tokio Jokio") included in some of the cartoons. Eleven cartoons that prominently featured stereotypical black characters (and a few passing jokes about Japanese people, as was the case with Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs and Jungle Jitters) were withdrawn from distribution in 1968 and are known as the Censored Eleven. This has caused dismay among some animation enthusiasts, who feel that they should have access to these shorts. There has been some success in returning these cartoons to the public; in 1999 all Speedy Gonzales cartoons were made unavailable because of their alleged stereotyping of Mexicans, but because the level of stereotyping was minor compared to the World War II era cartoons as well as the protests of many Hispanics who said they were not offended and fondly remembered Speedy Gonzales cartoons from their youth, these shorts were made available for broadcast again in 2002.

In addition to these most notorious cartoons, many Warner cartoons contain fleeting or sometimes extended gags that reference then-common racial or ethnic stereotypes. The release of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3 includes a disclaimer at the beginning of each DVD in the volume given by Whoopi Goldberg which explains that the cartoons are products of their time and contain racial and ethnic stereotypes that these days would be considered offensive, but the cartoons are going to be presented on the DVD uncut and uncensored because editing them out and therefore denying that the stereotypes existed is almost as bad as condoning them."

I'm quite sure most children didn't get it. I can comment on the content of these cartoons because I'm old enough to have actually watched them. I'm not however going to be pulled into a political arguement with you about it.

Another thing, Ratchet is not my brother... He may be a cousin though.... :huh:

I'd reply, but Jaap asked me to drop it.

Arrividercci.

Edited by Admin Jaap

Thread closed... <_>

I know I promised you to close down this forum if my rules were violated again, but I just can't. There are too much people here who get along fine and don't try to get on eachothers nerves.

*dissappointed*

Jaap

PS. I'm considering buying a different brand of bike. Any takers for running this forum? ;)