No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

No words

scan104ym1.jpg

But there are a lot of 'never used' engines at the factory!

If I'm not mistaken, that's the VA-10 liquid-cooled engine that was shelved back around 2000 when the designer got crossways with management and was fired when Guzzi was in the midst of changing ownership.

I can't remember the designer's name right now...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drknow
No words

But there are a lot of 'never used' engines at the factory!

Very interesting! When was that photo taken?

Guest drknow
If I'm not mistaken, that's the liquid-cooled engine that was shelved back around 2000 when the designer got crossways with management and was fired when Guzzi was in the midst of changing ownership.

I can't remember the designer's name right now...

Oh, is that the same one? I had never seen it from that angle...

Guest ratchethack
Must we go over this yet again? "Transverse" & "in-line" refer to the orientation of the crankshaft w/ respect to the vehicle's axis. :nerd:

Uh-oh. . . Indeed, it seems we MUST! :o

And heeeeeeere we go again. . . :lol: Skeeve, I salute your intent to insist upon correct terminology here. But I b'lieve you'll find that under the most correct technical (and non-technical) use of terms, "inline" IS NOT a correct term to indicate orientation of the crankshaft wotsoever. An "inline" engine simply refers to cylinders arranged in parallel, side-by-side, in a line. "Parallel twins" are an example, as are inline triples and fours, all of which have been manufactured in motorcycles with crankshafts arranged both longitudinally and transversely. ;):nerd: Though these terms have been confused by so many for so long, it's beyond me why so many will insist that it's anything but the orientation of the crankshaft that determines the correct term for longitudinal vs. transverse configuration -- exactly as is common, correct technical (and non-technical) terminology with any other kind of vehicle -- and I ain't goin' any further down this worn-out stretch o' bad road today, or any other day. :huh2:

Now let the howlin' begin. . . I'll just watch. . . :whistle:

post-1212-1206650909.jpg

Sunbeam longitudinal parallel twin

post-1212-1206650940.jpg

Henderson longitudinal inline four

Mojoli Engineering

"Who we are":

MOTO GUZZI - APRILIA group

VA 10 ( road 1000cc engine 4 stroke 2 V cylinders 75° liquid cooled)

DM 10 (road 1000cc engine 4 stroke 2V cylinders at 90° liquid cooled)

CALIFORNIA 1100 hydraulic tappet and catalyzed with lambda probe

V11 potentiated and catalyzed with lambda probe

Uh-oh. . . Indeed, it seems we MUST! :o

And heeeeeeere we go again. . . :lol: Skeeve, I salute your intent to insist upon correct terminology here. But I b'lieve you'll find that under the most correct technical (and non-technical) use of terms, "inline" IS NOT a correct term to indicate orientation of the crankshaft wotsoever. An "inline" engine simply refers to cylinders arranged in parallel, side-by-side, in a line.

Absolutely! I'd stand corrected, except that I know all that, & in the heat of trying to fire off that post before running off (late) to work, I slipped up & used some of the same screwed up terminology I was trying to correct! See what happens when you're rushed? I knew at the time I would be better off waiting to reply until later... :doh:

Thanks for clearing that up, Ratch! :D

Mojoli Engineering

"Who we are":

Someone should get them a new web designer. Or at least explain to them the idea behind having a "web presence" is that it should have legibility, and that blue text on a black background doesn't qualify... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, tho'! :thumbsup:

Must we go over this yet again? "Transverse" & "in-line" refer to the orientation of the crankshaft w/ respect to the vehicle's axis. :nerd:

The last transverse v-twin Guzzi that I'm aware of was the 500cc Bicilindrica.

My SuziQ SV650 is a transverse v-twin, as are Ducatis, Harleys, et al.

I know of an in-line 4v water-cooled v2 exercise from around y2k; is that what you're referring to?

The term "transverse-V" specifies that it is the V of the engine that is transverse. It is a term that exists outside the pedantic "normal" usage that "transverse" alwasy refers to the crank. All the current Guzzis are transverse-V twins, as opposed to transverse V-twins (watch the hyphen).

He said it was similar to the VA-10. We shall see. You know, Guzzi has been in bankruptcy ever since the transverse-V engine debuted. Now when Guzzi stands poised to enter the water-cooled era, they stick with the architecture that has resulted in continued non-success and which makes no sense if you do not need to expose the cylinders to the cooling of the wind? Yep. That's what they'll do.

In the back of my mind I've been kinda hoping Guzzi would get some version of the Rotax-sourced RSV engine and put it into an MGS size/type/style sporty bike and revive the "Bicylindrica" nameplate...

I heard somewhere that Aprilia was ending use of Rotax engines in favor of something in-house. That could mean that Piaggio could send RSV engines to Guzzi in order to fullfill contract obligations with Rotax, or I guess it could mean the idea of using RSV engines is dead because the Rotax collaboration has ended...

If the idea of using the Rotax was killed, I guess that could have prompted someone to pull the VA-10 out of mothballs and see if something could be made of it...

The VA-10 seems kinda cool. Four chain driven overhead cams. Interesting looking crankcase. 75-degree Vee angle.

I hope there is something to this rumor of a liquid-cooled bike running around Mandello... B)

Guest drknow
He said it was similar to the VA-10. We shall see. You know, Guzzi has been in bankruptcy ever since the transverse-V engine debuted. Now when Guzzi stands poised to enter the water-cooled era, they stick with the architecture that has resulted in continued non-success and which makes no sense if you do not need to expose the cylinders to the cooling of the wind? Yep. That's what they'll do.

Totally get what you're saying Greg. However, the VA-10 motor did have promise. The counter-rotating clutch, the 75 degree V, all could make for a compact, sweet handling motor combo that is different than all the other Vs. While I'm with you in principle, I'm excited about the possibility. I don't think we can hope for a new motor layout until Piaggio sells guzzi and someone buys it that will look at the mark as more than what it's been since the late 60's.

dk