why is Guzzi your beloved bike?

Slavomir Musilek (R.I.P.)

-------------- but have stuck with Guzzi 'cos I like crap bikes, and am a masochist.

There is just something about them.......

A bit of an old man now, had motorcycles continuously since 13 years old getting the opportunity to ride or own most of the stuff out there. There was no expectation when I bought my 'Red Sonja', crap reports and road tests, people without the experience asking 'why the hell would you buy one of those?'. But then some spare brass, a Rosso Corsa at a reasonable price bought in the pouring rain -I knew, I just new there was no way out, I was just going to love it and I did.

By any objective measure she just doesn't compete but everytime I ride I understand about life, what is personal to me, not what others think I ought to be but what I am. Quirky, individual, generous and satisfying. What a bike. :wub:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...We got along very well since we both think doing wheelies in the alley is the most fun you can have.

Brent

:stupid:

True!

In the alley we have contests of daring and stupidity on a regular basis. :bier:

Well it was 31 years ago I fell in love with a V7 sport, I still own it today the stylish lines the custom paint job well it was 1977 and the bike was not that old a 1972, I had had British bikes from age 13 but when I was about 15 a guy in the village I lived in bought a 750gt Ducati this turned my head to Italian bikes but I've never strayed from the path many Ducatis have tempted me over the years but I've stayed true to my love. Incidently my riding companion in those british bike days was a certain Jock Taylor remember him.

:stupid:

True!

In the alley we have contests of daring and stupidity on a regular basis. :bier:

I just got a radar from a unaware retired police car I think the new game will be the who can ride faster wheelie

since were running out of alley

Guest frankdugo
This is a very good question. I have been riding since 1984 and I've had quite a few bikes. Currently I also have a 2004 K1200GT and all I have to do is press the "go place button" and ride it anywhere without any worries. It's fast, handles well, stops on a dime, it's easy to get parts, there's plenty of dealers and does pretty much everything that I could want it to do extremely well. The problem is that the BMW doesn't have much character or uniqueness. The Guzzi is a heartfelt ride for me. It isn't the perfect bike, but I find myself just standing there for long long lengths of time just staring at it and admiring it. On top of that, everytime I ride it, it puts a huge smile on my face and I find myself yelling into my helmet " I love this bike!". So that's it, it's a bike of the heart! If I ever had to choose just one bike, it would be SO difficult. I'd make a list of the pros and cons and for sure on paper the BMW would win. Then I'd go down to my garage, look at the bikes, tear up the list and sell the BMW.

good question!56.been riding since 69. it is classic,it looks like a motorcycle should.got the 00 out of a crate 3yr. ago& very satisifed. love to catch up with the rocketkids and have them look over &see guzzi.i hope guzzi stays just the way they are ----one factory,no corperate bull.we are the lucky riders that know.my regret is that i did not ride them years ago.

I just got a radar from a unaware retired police car I think the new game will be the who can ride faster wheelie

since were running out of alley

For everyones information:

As seen in his avatar, Brent is about to accelerate briskly into our alley after gently cleaning any debris from his rear tire. We may need a third party to handle photo or radar duty. :lol:

Back on track.

Guzzis are somewhat rare around here. When I saw my first V11 in the flesh, I was smitten. The fellow riding it was at a local Norton meet several years ago. After some conversation and my apologies for the drool on his gas tank, we discovered we did not live far from each other and knew some of the same people. Much to my surprise he offered to let me take it for a ride. I took it out for a short 3 or 4 mile ride and was hooked. It was only a matter of time before I found my LeMans. I bought my first street bike in '75 and have not been without at least one bike since. Bought the LeMans in '05 at the age of 47. Now it is the bike of choice almost every time I pull my helmet on. I think about something to replace it occassionally, something newer, maybe more powerful or perhaps better handling. Then I take the goose out for a spirited romp and think "I'm never selling this bike."

:mg:

I would pay anything to see that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey slavomir brother your just a plane ride away. It just so happens we take all major credit card and cash for you my friend even a check (would have to see your drivers lic though) Just for the record the wheelie contest are not on the Guzzis there mostly on one of the three or four wheelers. Fuelcooler rode one down the alley and into the woods dam near into a tree to make sure he couldnt be beat. That what kind of a sportmen that dude is, iam pretty sure Ill get him on the speed wheelie thing. Ill keep ya posted on the progress or what room number at the hospital were in. I think my heinekin can helmet is more than proper protection he always says its not. So he wont wear if safty first.

Tear it up

Brent

Hey slavomir brother your just a plane ride away. It just so happens we take all major credit card and cash for you my friend even a check (would have to see your drivers lic though) Just for the record the wheelie contest are not on the Guzzis there mostly on one of the three or four wheelers. Fuelcooler rode one down the alley and into the woods dam near into a tree to make sure he couldnt be beat. That what kind of a sportmen that dude is, iam pretty sure Ill get him on the speed wheelie thing. Ill keep ya posted on the progress or what room number at the hospital were in. I think my heinekin can helmet is more than proper protection he always says its not. So he wont wear if safty first.

Tear it up

Brent

Good God... all those rumors about Guzzistti ... it's true :D :D :D

I bought my Guzzi when I was 30.

I saw my first Guzzi when I was a wee one. I was at a summer camp and one of the camp employees rode it in one day. My memory's fuzzy but I think it was a LeMans III. I do remember that my jaw dropped to the ground. How could they fit such a huge engine on such a small bike (didn't know crap about bikes at that age...)? Fast forward 15+ years and I kept thinking of that bike. Where could I find one? I looked for the local dealer in Seattle. It was some run-down looking shop in South Seattle. I dragged my girlfriend (who thought I was crazy, but still ended up being my wife) down there to find that bike. IIRC, the shop was Moto International's first shop (correct me if I'm wrong Greg, my memory is still a bit fuzzy). All I saw at the shop were old Ambos and Californias. Nothing sporty. I gave up. Fast forward a couple more years and I saw a silver, '00 - '01 V11 Sport parked on the street. I must have spent 10 minutes drooling over that bike while my girlfriend impatiently waited for me. Right there I decided I must have THAT bike. Problem is, I didn't know how much they cost and I sure didn't have any money to buy one, so to the back of the brain it went. A year or so later I moved in to an apartment where one of the other residents parked his silver V11 Sport in the garage. Every time I went to the garage to take the trash out, I'd drool over that bike for at least five minutes. A year or so later, I'm married and while out on an errand, I drive by Moto International. On a whim I stopped in and my eyes instantly locked in on a green '02-'03 V11 Sport. I started talking with Dave and he told me the story of the bike. They have a customer from Oregon that has bought 10 - 15 bikes from them. He'll ride one for a couple thousand miles, decide he doesn't like it and will consign or trade it in for another bike. This was one of these bikes. Since the bike had 1400 miles on it, Dave quoted me a price I couldn't refuse. I had to get approval from the Mrs. so I raced home, printed out a picture of the bike and ran over to her office and asked her if it would be ok. Surprisingly she said yes, not knowing what she was getting herself in to. The next day (getting no sleep from the excitement) I was able to secure funding, went and bought a helmet, went to the DMV to get my motorcycle permit (I had ridden other people's bikes many times before, but this was my first bike) and went to Moto International with the check in my hot little hands. After all the paperwork, I rode that bike home with the utmost care and respect (since I was a new rider and the last thing I wanted to do was wad the thing up on my first ride.) Since then, I've become obsessed with Guzzis. I can't go five minutes without thinking about riding or working on it.

What cinched the deal for me? The bike is everything it should be, and nothing that shouldn't. Elegantly styled but raw and powerful. Plus, everyone who rides a Guzzi is a weirdo, so I fit right in.

Sadly, I've wadded that bike twice, but its been replaced with an '04 Ballabio. It's not quite like the original, but it's getting there.

Plus, everyone who rides a Guzzi is a weirdo...

True story but BMW riders (and forum members) are worse.

:homer: I have both; and I'm on both forums :homer: :homer:

True story but BMW riders (and forum members) are worse.

:homer: I have both; and I'm on both forums :homer: :homer:

This must have something to do with both of them putting the engines in sideways.

:D

I do the MG, the BMW(airheads ONLY) AND to round things out, I am a life member of the "See No Evo, Ride No Evo or anything remotely new" club too. Some people just can't get along... :P

Actually, my love for my Guzzi is based in my love of previous Beemers and Harleys. The transverse mounted opposed V has ALOT of the "engineered" feeling of the german bike, but the V Layout still preserves that torquey, ROWDY feel that makes the Harley crowd love a beast that is/was known for slow death through part loss due to vibration. I felt the connection instantaneously, as soon as I took the Nero on our maiden ride. Ride on! :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I do the MG, the BMW(airheads ONLY) AND to round things out, I am a life member of the "See No Evo, Ride No Evo or anything remotely new" club too. Some people just can't get along... :P

Don't forget about "fear no evo"