why is Guzzi your beloved bike?

Slavomir Musilek (R.I.P.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was interested that someone, somewhere, recently commented something about artists and musicians liking Guzzis. I don't know what figures there are to back that up, but it makes sense to me. The marque and the actual machine have deep and enduring aesthetic qualities. The look, the sound, the mechanical form – as well as the sense of history along with not being tied to a particular (short-span of marketing-dictated) time. What made a Guzzi v-twin good (and loved and enjoyed) 15 or 20 or 25 years ago is still what makes it good (and loved and enjoyed) today. Fashion and modernisation and improvement all have a necessary role – but they're added onto the fundamental essence that is at the heart and that IS the heart of the beast.

I bought my Sport 1100 new in 1997 for my 30th birthday.

I had wanted a Guzzi since the days of the LeMans III in the early 1980s.

To me Guzzi represented style and passion that can only come from a small company with a storied history.

I was listening to the band "Cake" a lot when I was in high school and they had a song 'Rock&Roll Lifestyle' one of the first lines is "how much did you pay for that bad moto guzzi?" I was like hmm, whats a moto guzzi, looked them up and the first one I saw was a silver V11 sport which I ended up buying some years later at the ripe old age of 23 :lol: I'm now 27 and looking like I might be selling my Guzzi this spring but I do know it won't be my last goose. The single biggest reason I love the guzzi is its beauty in simplicity, it can have such elegance and charm in a minimalist package and I've always like the 'retro' but I feel more timeless style that the V11 represents. I know I'm going to miss this V11 and am really torn but financially I don't think I can do two bikes two cars three kids and a dog, something has to go, anyone want a slighty used child or a dog that grabs loafs of bread off the counter and chews'em up all over the place?

This is a very good question. I have been riding since 1984 and I've had quite a few bikes. Currently I also have a 2004 K1200GT and all I have to do is press the "go place button" and ride it anywhere without any worries. It's fast, handles well, stops on a dime, it's easy to get parts, there's plenty of dealers and does pretty much everything that I could want it to do extremely well. The problem is that the BMW doesn't have much character or uniqueness. The Guzzi is a heartfelt ride for me. It isn't the perfect bike, but I find myself just standing there for long long lengths of time just staring at it and admiring it. On top of that, everytime I ride it, it puts a huge smile on my face and I find myself yelling into my helmet " I love this bike!". So that's it, it's a bike of the heart! If I ever had to choose just one bike, it would be SO difficult. I'd make a list of the pros and cons and for sure on paper the BMW would win. Then I'd go down to my garage, look at the bikes, tear up the list and sell the BMW.

I was listening to the band "Cake" a lot when I was in high school and they had a song 'Rock&Roll Lifestyle' one of the first lines is "how much did you pay for that bad moto guzzi?" I was like hmm, whats a moto guzzi, looked them up and the first one I saw was a silver V11 sport which I ended up buying some years later at the ripe old age of 23 :lol: I'm now 27 and looking like I might be selling my Guzzi this spring but I do know it won't be my last goose. The single biggest reason I love the guzzi is its beauty in simplicity, it can have such elegance and charm in a minimalist package and I've always like the 'retro' but I feel more timeless style that the V11 represents. I know I'm going to miss this V11 and am really torn but financially I don't think I can do two bikes two cars three kids and a dog, something has to go, anyone want a slighty used child or a dog that grabs loafs of bread off the counter and chews'em up all over the place?

The irony of life....I just heard that song on Radio Paradise today....it's hilarious...but cool.... B)

Hi all,

I can report that I have owned mine for exactly 2 weeks and 5 days. I'm 41. The Guzzi is my 8th motorcycle. I'm keeping #7 ('06VFR). HOWEVER, if I absolutely had to get ride of one, it would be the VFR.

I fell in love with green Guzzi about 5-6 years ago. The first time I saw it at a coffee shop, my eyes about fell out of their sockets. I met the owner and a week later I got to ride that very bike. It wasn't until recently that I was able to realize my dream of having that bike in MY garage.

It's a soul thing, a visceral thing...Like others before me, I am thrilled just gazing at her. The first 500 miles was ear to ear grins and as soon as I get those tires on (this weekend), I anticipate many more years...or rather....miles of smiles.... :bike:

....If I ever had to choose just one bike, it would be SO difficult. I'd make a list of the pros and cons and for sure on paper the BMW would win. Then I'd go down to my garage, look at the bikes, tear up the list and sell the BMW.

Exactly! :bier:

Steve

I just wonder, how old were you when you firstly brought your own guzzi home? Why did you choose Guzzi?

When I was younger, in my Kenny Roberts wannabe phase, the only Guzzi I was ever attracted to was the old Le Mans. The rest of the Guzzi range just seemed funky & quirky like something out of a time warp.

Then the V11 Le Mans came out and I was immediately struck at how it kinda resembled the old Ducati SS750 (if you squint yer eyes really hard). It may have been a case of growing older and more nostalgic, remembering the motorcycles of my youth in the 1970s.

I bought my Tenni (my first Guzzi) at the age of 42. After I bought it, I appreciated its extra dollop of character. I think what I really enjoy the most, is being able to ride it closer to its limits, than say I would be able to on a Suzuki GSXR or some other uber bike :)

I used to own Pommy bikes. They were fine, but if you made 'em perform to 1970's standards they went 'Pop', regularly. So I had to look for something else.

I got a Jawa 350 with a chair that I wish I still had, brilliant, but slow. A great tool but not a bike that you could have serious 2 wheeled fun on.

I didn't like BMW's and their riders were tossers.

I couldn't afford a Ducati, and their riders were tossers.

I could afford a truly awful V50. It's owner was a tosser. He'd rattle-canned black the whole bike, including the fork staunchions and brakes! I cleaned it up and fixed it a bit and then flogged it to death over about 18 months. It was utterly reliable! The only smallblock I've ever known to be so :lol: .

Then I got left 800 quid by a relative. That, along with the trade-in on the V50 got me a 1979 1000SP.

The rest is history........ :grin::mg::mg::mg:

Pete

I used to own Pommy bikes. They were fine, but if you made 'em perform to 1970's standards they went 'Pop', regularly. So I had to look for something else.

I got a Jawa 350 with a chair that I wish I still had, brilliant, but slow. A great tool but not a bike that you could have serious 2 wheeled fun on.

I didn't like BMW's and their riders were tossers.

I couldn't afford a Ducati, and their riders were tossers.

I could afford a truly awful V50. It's owner was a tosser. He'd rattle-canned black the whole bike, including the fork staunchions and brakes! I cleaned it up and fixed it a bit and then flogged it to death over about 18 months. It was utterly reliable! The only smallblock I've ever known to be so :lol: .

Then I got left 800 quid by a relative. That, along with the trade-in on the V50 got me a 1979 1000SP.

The rest is history........ :grin::mg::mg::mg:

Pete

Hey!!!

Jawa!!!

B) I loved my 250...

I was 20 years old when fell in lust with a V65 Lario. Sold the rubbish CB900 I owned and took out a loan from work to buy it. I've had the odd flirtaion with other bikes during the last 20 years (mainly Dukes) but have stuck with Guzzi 'cos I like crap bikes, and am a masochist.

There is just something about them.......

I wish I had bought a 1000S when I was DeBenGuzzi's age. He has got to be the coolest dude in Minnesota. But, I was 40 when I bought my V11. It is my first Guzzi. I have loved the looks of the engines since I was a teenager. I knew someday I would have one (after I was done taking tool kits out of my sportbikes to save weight).

There was a comparison test between the V11 and the R1150R that I studied for many an hour before deciding to buy the R1150R, as it easily won the test. It was a great bike and was the most rational buying decision I have ever made (for motorcycles at least). After a year I realized I was bored with it. It sold within 3 days. I bought my Guzzi, used, without even a test ride (it was very cold and rainy). No need, I was done with being rational.

It is by far the coolest bike I have ever owned and my favorite bike to ride, 2 years later.

Cheers,

Steve

(FuelCooler)

When you buy a Guzzi, you buy looks, sound,...history, exclusiveness, myth...fairy tales...horror tales

....you buy a hobby....passion...money pit (for some..)...beautiful pictures coming from the days you saw the ...first one :wub:

and they give you a honest /good bike as a bonus.

Considering all, a Guzzi is not that expensive...

If you see it just as another bike, ....well get rid of it...it's not that good :wacko:

I bought my guzzi in 2007 i was 32 it is my first road bike. I owned and still own many three and four wheelers dirtbikes.

Then my sister as my mouther in law says moved in next to me (fuelcooler)(she thinks were both girls) We got along very well since we both think doing wheelies in the alley is the most fun you can have. One day he said he selling his BMW and buying a new bike next thing i know bang on the door check out my new bike. One look and i said what the F_ck it that. Three more seconds that thing is cool. Motor started hey that thing sounds cool. One ride later told my wife I dont give a shit what you say I am geting me a Guzzi. She said why i said there the coolest thing since sliced bread. My wife knows iam little batty and agreed to let me have one (she the best). I found out through a buddy that mikec had a green one drove him nuts till he sold it to me. I am very happy with my guzzi the only down fall to the bike is all the Q and A time when people asked about the bike but the thumbs up from the people who know make it all better. I just dont think you can find a bike with better looks that old school hot rod feel and sound and cooler owners than guzzi guys and girls.

Long live the Guzzi

Brent