Roper's an idiot.

pete roper

Probably explains why Guzzi are now packing the ETS tip on the new bikes with themal paste to get a decent temperature refference for the ECU. Another one of those worthless and un-neccessary suggestions I've made to people in the past and been lambasted for.

How do I know? I took the sensor out of my new 8V Griso this arvo to add some paste and found it had already been done for me at the factory. Thanks boys! Pity you didn't give the tappets any clearance though :rolleyes:

Pete

And m-m-m-maybe there's grease in the shock-mount... swingarm... head-bearings etc?

And m-m-m-maybe there's grease in the shock-mount... swingarm... head-bearings etc?

Nah! now you're just being STUPID! :lol:

Actually although there was a heat transfer agent in there it looked like it had been applied by a microbe so small was the amount. The thought was there though. I still re-packed it to buggery with Zinc-Cote on principle! :D

Pete

Pete, do you think copper anti-seize would work just as well?

I guess I should have one of those nifty brass fittings on hand when I try this . . .

I guess I should have one of those nifty brass fittings on hand when I try this . . .

Docc,

I used anti-seize in mine. Probably not the best thermo conductor but certainly better than air. The sensor was finger tight. No trouble unscrewing from the plastic.

As Dan and Greg say, the medium you use is fairly unimportant. The only reason I use Zinc Cote rather than Copper-Cote is because I've got a bigger jar of Zinc Cote! :D Anything is better than an air gap!

Pete

So pete you start modding before driving the bike? Tell us what you think about the engine.

Not modding. Simply performing what I'd call a decent pre-delivery service.

I'll be registering the bike today and running it in over the next couple of days with a run down to the coast and back via the High Monaro, (Typically we've just had the coldest April temperatures on record with snow down to 1200 metres! I reckon I'll have to rug up for the high plains! :D ) Until I've got everything bedded in to my satisfaction and the suspension sorted, (Like my 1100 it is set up ridiculously stiff from the factory.) I won't be exploring the top end of the rev range which is where I'll be expecting it to shine.

Pete

Hi docc,

I used a high copper content anti sieze. Copper is a better conductor than zinc. My plastic holder shattered upon removal. I had the brass fitting handy.

As an obsessive type, I researched the copper content on various brands. The Permatex 765-2569 sold by NAPA had a high percentage of copper.

I believe the brass replacement is a worthwhile improvement. I covered the fins with the high temperature aluminum foil tape used for furnace ducting to reduce the heat transfer to ambient air because I wanted the sensor to be as close to the engine's internal temperature as possible. :nerd:

best, John

I believe the brass replacement is a worthwhile improvement. I covered the fins with the high temperature aluminum foil tape used for furnace ducting to reduce the heat transfer to ambient air because I wanted the sensor to be as close to the engine's internal temperature as possible. :nerd:

best, John

Maybe I am an idiot, but I suspect that could be a bad idea, resulting in a bike that runs too lean. But then again, because you are getting 42MPG (US) it could be a good idea.

tb95enginetempur5.gif

Maybe I am an idiot, but I suspect that could be a bad idea, resulting in a bike that runs too lean. But then again, because you are getting 42MPG (US) it could be a good idea.

tb95enginetempur5.gif

Perhaps, but only if you assume that the bike is mapped to be too lean for a given temperature.

Surely if they are going to build a map they will, within reason, try to get it to be accurate to a sensor with some degree of accuracy? Rather than one that will be wildly inaccurate given a different variety of ambient conditions.

Remember most of the investigative work regarding this will of been done in a building, (Most likely a small room with fan forced cooling to the motor in almost constant ambient temperatures.) not out on the open road, in rain, blazing sun, snow, varying traffic conditions etc. I see the factory mapping, not just on Guzzis but on all vehicles, as a series of really fairly crappy compromises. The fact they CAN work as well as they do is a good thing and they DO work quite well enough for most of us as long as we try and set them up so they work as closely as possible to the sort of constants experienced in that closed, fan forced room in the factory, (Or wherever!).

I'm not saying that any of these things are any sort of 'Magic Bullet' or 'Panacea for All Ills', simply that to my peanut brain it makes an awful lot more sense than thinking that there was cunning plan on cunning plan on cunning plan to give some sort of diffused and fuzzy information to an ECU that would then be clever enough to decipher it! I'm sure that such things are possible, I just very much doubt that they would ever come close to the surface of the thinking of a profit driven organization that will always build things down to the bottom dollar. And that, I'm afraid, is how the world of commerce works.

pete