drknow.....R.I.P

Chronic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit.

Didn't know this guy, apart from his virtual self, but always enjoyed reading his posts and imagined a man who would be a true friend. His avatar was the best.

I get the impression he understood the risks and decided that "balls out" was the way to go, in spite (or because) of them.

Respect.

I've copied a poem his death brings to mind, and then some text I just found at his old website (littlebigracing) below. Hang in there "little".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm of Life

Tell me not in mournful numbers,

"Life is but an empty dream!"

For the soul is dead that slumbers,

And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!

And the grave is not its goal;

"Dust thou art, to dust returnest,"

Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,

Is our destined end or way;

But to act, that each to-morrow

Find us further than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,

And our hearts, though stout and brave,

Still, like muffled drums, are beating

Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,

In the bivouac of Life,

Be not like dumb, driven cattle!

Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant!

Let the dead Past bury its dead!

Act -- act in the living Present!

Heart within, and God o'erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us

We can make our lives sublime,

And, departing, leave behind us

Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,

Sailing o'er life's solemn main,

A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,

Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,

With a heart for any fate;

Still achieving, still pursuing,

Learn to labour and to wait.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John-Mark Lapree Arechiga 1968 - 2008

Saturday, May 10, 11am, Buttonwillow raceway: John-Mark went out for a second practise session of the day on his GSXR 1000. He was extremely excited about and confident in this bike. After a year and a half of not getting along with a 2006 ZX-10, he felt he could really be fast on this bike, get back to some of his old times on it at the racetrack. He worked in preparation for this race weekend for days on end, even after the bike was essentially race ready he fiddle with every little thing on it to make it exactly how he wanted it. He didn't always pay such close attention to his bikes, only the ones he loved, like his Centauro Moto Guzzi, and this bike. After 4 or 5 laps he hit the first rumble strip coming through the esses, upsetting the bike. He tried riding through it but by the time the second rumble strip came it, it was likely too hard to keep it under control after hitting the first and it threw him off. When the ambulance arrived he was unconcious but breathing on his own, with a steady pulse. Evidently his pupils were dialated and unresponsive to light. No one who was not with the ambulance was told this. He stopped breathing on his own in the ambulance and was put on a respirator. His heart stopped and was started more than one time in the ambulance ride. When he arrived at the hospital, he had no pulse.They tried for 45 minutes to revive him but were not successful. The cause is suspected neck injury but as of yet unconfirmed. John-Mark always said he did not want a fuss over his death - all he wanted was for everyone to have a party and have a good time.

The party will begin Friday, May 16th at a large home in Point Loma (near the airport) for all those attending various races over the weekend. Cocktails and a memorial service will be held on Saturday, May 17th at the Sheraton in downtown San Diego from 6:30PM to 8:30PM, with an after party to continue at the same house in Point Loma (address to be provided soon).

Very sad to hear about drknow's passing. I'm fairly new on this site and how could I forget his avatar (which I found very cool--I even commented about it with him). He's replied to some of my very first questions here. I saw a pic of him on SoCal forum. Sure would have enjoyed meeting him along with other Guzzi folks as I've been thinking of attending the MG meet in Cali. Condolences to family and friends. R I P drknow.

I rode with him a few times and talked for hours.

What a great guy, so passionate about the sport, and about Guzzis.

I am saddened that I will have no other such opportunities.

On the positive, he died doing what he loved, and we'll honor his wish to party as a celebration to his life.

Yet, I am so sorry and saddened for the loss of those most close to him.

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, and was looking forward to that at the national. Will hoist a toast in his honour with some of Scotlands finest...

condolences to his family and friends.

God Speed DrKnow

:bier:

Cheers

Van

My condolences to all his family and friends... I'ts really so sad to hear such incidents.

Even when we do not knew him , every motorcyclist is a BROTHER

We motorcyclists continually face so many dangers on the streets

Really sad :(

Godspeed to everyone.