ohoh

Guest Petev11

Guest Petev11

hi i am new to the v11 scene. and when i bought a 2003 lemans with only 13000 km on it 2 days ago i was all smiles! :D the gentlman i bought it from let me take it for a 2 hour test drive! how many people would do that? but unfortunatly the bike now has fallen ill with a bad cold coughing and sometimes chocking at idle and when rolling off the throttle. my ? is could this be caused by unsinced throttle body, or loose valves? it seems to cough threw the air box and almost die. :o

hi i am new to the v11 scene. and when i bought a 2003 lemans with only 13000 km on it 2 days ago i was all smiles! :D the gentlman i bought it from let me take it for a 2 hour test drive! how many people would do that? but unfortunatly the bike now has fallen ill with a bad cold coughing and sometimes chocking at idle and when rolling off the throttle. my ? is could this be caused by unsinced throttle body, or loose valves? it seems to cough threw the air box and almost die. :o

Yes, Pete, usually a good tune-up will set it all right. See the pinned thread above on TPS setting.

Good riding, docc

If this bike has a PowerComander or any other device installed between the factory wiring harness and the computer, disconnect it and hook it up witthout the "PowerCommander". If it performs perfectly,you need to have the PowerCommander "remapped" ! It is best to have a PowerCommander facility to do this or someone who REALLY knows what they're doing !

Pete, welcome to our world! Since your bike was running so well two days ago, maybe you inadvertently filled it up with poor quality gasoline? Joe

Look for something like that first. If the bike was running well then it wasn't, did you refuel the bike at that time. I have known of people accidently filling their bikes with diesel. Another thing to check is did anything get unplugged?, like the cylinder head temp sensor? Or did the bike get wet?

Relays are also a common issue on these bikes, but normally they stop it from running altogether. Check the common obvious things that could go suddenly, first. TPS setting or TB sync usually go slowly over time, not "It ran great yesterday and now it runs badly".

Pete, welcome to our world! Since your bike was running so well two days ago, maybe you inadvertently filled it up with poor quality gasoline? Joe

Pete you did say it had a few hickups during the test ride in one of your other posts right?

Guest Petev11
Pete you did say it had a few hickups during the test ride in one of your other posts right?

thanks for the help. and yes it had a few sputters on the test ride.another thing is, when i went for the test drive it was 2 hours and an other 1hour half way home. then i filled it up and when i got home an hour later the low fuel light came on. how is it that all of a sudden, it used a full tank in a matter of an hour maybe an hour and a half max?

thanks for the help. and yes it had a few sputters on the test ride.another thing is, when i went for the test drive it was 2 hours and an other 1hour half way home. then i filled it up and when i got home an hour later the low fuel light came on. how is it that all of a sudden, it used a full tank in a matter of an hour maybe an hour and a half max?

Take the plugs out and have a look at them. If they are horribly sooty then the bike is obviously over-fueling grotesquely. Obviously there may be any number of reasons for this but my suggestion would be to give it a thorough service and tune. If you can find someone, somewhere, with either the Technoresearch package or an Axone tool this will greatly assist in diagnosing what may be the problem. While poor temperature sensors will cause over-fueling I'd suggest that the ETS would have to be compeletely stuffed and the bike to be running at 'Full Choke', ie a fully enriched map, for it to drink 14 litres or so of fuel in an hour and a half.

If you can't find anyone locally with the proper diagnostic tooling you can check the ETS resistance using a multi-meter, a kettle and a thermometer. t'll tell you if the thing is working or not anyway!

Oh, and what is your current ambient temp in Alberta? If it is still quite cold you may well find you can get an improvement simply by packing the ETS holder with thermal paste but that alone won't sort this. It sounds as if it has got a couple of more serious *issues*.

pete

I recommend you start a third thread on the same subject and your luck may just turn :P

And a fourth and a fifth . . . can we get a sixth new thread? :rolleyes:

Hey....

At first It sounded like TB boots.......

and then I didn't think of it any more......

but I'll bet the solution has 3 components....

1........simple

2.........stupid

3.........cost less than $10 to fix.

:D

Bet ya.......... :)

:mg:

Good luck

welcome to Guzzi ownership!

Previous owner said it ran fine.....why is it that when you buy a used bike and you finally get it home...not a day later something goes wrong? Ah well, nothing that about $1,000.00 can't fix...... :P

You'll get it sorted and all will be fine..... :)