V11Sport fairings and windscreens.

Dirtybill

I was trying to keep a "clean" old style cafe racer look to my V11 but after even limited freeway use I realize for the sake of my neck I need a windscreen.

Do the stock mini-fairings actually help or am I better off going with the taller Givi screen. A friend has managed to find a painter that matched up the stock green paint perfectly on his so colour matching is not a problem now. The BMW fairing pictured elsewhere looks very nice also. Is there an aftermarket company who sells these?

I'm looking for something that won't ruin the lines of the bike but deflects enough air to keep my neck from feeling like someone stepped on it and if possible, is easily removed for day to day riding.

Thanks in advance! :bier::mg:

The Magni fairing

has a classic look (197x Ducati SS) I really like.

It is quiet price, around 1000 euros.

Personally I ride fast enough w/o a fairing, so I'll keep the café style

to preserve sanity. A tank bag gives enough "wind breaking" on

longer tours.

v11mov.jpg

v11_3-4.jpg

v11_lat.jpg

v11_kit.jpg

Hello D-Bill. Cant speak from experience re the Magni except to say (1) it looks very nice (2) up close though it has a somewhat "unfinished" look at the inside where it butts against the tank (3) requires lowering the stock clip-ons.

As for the "stock" Stucchi" 1/4 fairing. It takes some of the wind offf my lower chest, but I still get some wind on my sholders and head. Overall though (1) it looks very nice and enhances the already beautifu lines of the Sport and frames the instrument pod nicely (2) offers enough wind protection for me (3) higher screens for the Stucchi area available through a privateer www.dansguzzi.com (I think that his site) (4) Higher (tubular) bars are compatible.

As for the BMW fairing. The unpainted fairing is about $350 for fairing and windscreen. JRT (Jason Telford) has posted very helpful info re this. I almost went that route and may yet (actually ordered and returned the parts from Bob's BMW). Of all the options JRT's seems the most practical in terms of (1) wind protection (2) whilst preserving the "classic" lines and (3) installation seems fairly forthright. (4) S/A #4 Stucchi.

Lastly, there is a company called called "Airtech" here in California USA that has a whole variety of fairings. You might want to check them out and they do have a website. Regards, :rasta: Joe

Or you could just do what I did. Lower the bars a bit. Made the bike a lot easier to deal with when riding. It must work, I did 4000 miles in July that would have had me really strained had I left the bars in the stock position.

Bill, I'm running the Stucchi 1/4 fairing on my '00 V11 Sport. Of course it depends on the kind of riding you do what will work best and how big a Guy you are. I generally run 80-90 mph on the slab and 50-60 on back country roads. Even at 90 it does a surprisingly admirable job of taming the blast down to a fairly comfortable level. I'm 5-10, 175lb and wear a size 42 jacket. Only occasionally going straight into a strong headwind do I feel the need to tuck in farther by lowering my head, and this is usually only a very temporary situation. Overall I'm very pleased with the stock fairing and shield, but if I was doing all-day-long trips on a regular basis I'd probably go with one of the aftermarket shield extensions avbl. for the Stucchi first, then possibly to a larger fairing if this didn't offer enough all-day protection. :bike:

Good luck.

Guz in San Diego

Joe,

Thanks for the link to dansguzzi! I thought I would have to scrap my Stucchi and go back to naked after the crash claimed the windshield. Looks like Dan can fix me up! :thumbsup:

I like the airflow from the Stucchi. Normally I dislike windshields because they direct so much air up at the helmet they actually bother my neck worse than riding nekkid. The Stucchi has smooth flow, doesn't increase wind noise and seems to help stabilize the bike at high speed (80-90mph). :bike:

When you talk about the Stucchi fairing - Is that the one fitted as standard to the Scura?

Thanks, KB, Mid Wales.

I wish I could say I've seen a Scura. Nor can I find picture of one. I think the fairings may actually differ a bit. The Guzzi accessory screen (made by Stucchi Luigi in Mandello) is fiberglass, body color and flat black on the inside. For a decent picture go to: http://www.dansguzzi.com/fly.htm]dansguzzi.com[/url]

Is the Scura shield carbon fiber?

Self advertising-

Joe C. that's a nice condensation of the various choices- advantages and drawbacks.

Cheers,

Jason

I really like yours jrt.

I'm assuming that the plastic/transparent part of the fairing is available at plastic shops? Lexan would be nice but a bear to work with. If yours blocks a lot of the wind I may go with the Air Tech Bimmer one.