No start/Just a click. PICS

wheelsucker

I broke down last night. When I would go to try and start the bike I would just get a click, maybe like the bike is trying to jump the starter motor? The starter does not engage, I just hear a click. My guess is that the starter went bad, but at 15000miles?? Any other guesses or places I should look before paying the reaper?

Thanks,

Matt

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My recent starting problems, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13958 ,may not be the same problem,but like Greg and foto say,check batt volts and fuse.In my experience the 15 amp switch fuse blows when the batt volts are low.Do you have dash/headlights?Make sure the connectors on the batt are tight and at the starter.Be carefull to NOT Short the ECU as the ground terminal is an inch or so from the battery pos terminal.If you do, remove the battery terminals,take NEG off FIRST,and put NEG back on LAST.

Keep us posted.

Well.... Your solenoids working.. :)

But for one of 2 reasons your starter ain't cranking.

1 Low battery

2 Something is amiss in the circuit. ie: Lose or corroded + or - connection at the battery, solenoid or ground.

niggle, niggle, niggle.

That reminds me, mine needs a twist on the bars to start lately.

Well, we know what that means...

Oh well, I gotta go in and clean the air box so the mice will have a nice comfortable

apartment this winter anyway. :)

I checked the fuses, they are all fine. How do I ensure all the relays are in working condition? When I turn on the bike, I can hear the fuel pump start up and all the lights are fine. I have a volt meter on the bike so I don't think its the battery.

also, can someone tell me how to ensure that my relays are fine? I pulled them out and I don't see anything wrong with them.

just cause you have headlight doesn't mean the battery has enough power to start it. how old is the battery. check the voltage, a good battery will show at least 12.50. If it is less leave the meter on and turn on the key, did it drop into the 11.xx volt range? if so you need a battery.

tried the relay swap and no dice. My volt meter shows 10 volts with ignition on, I thought this was normal but I could be wrong. Maybe the battery is drained, can I try and jump with cables like a car or will it fry the circuits?

DO NOT JUMP START IT.

Get a float charger from a motorcycle shop ala a Battery Tender.Don't worry ,much smarter minds than me will chime in soon,they always do.Did you get a chance to check out the thread on my starter problems?May not help you but a good place to start as I was stuck as you are.Volts should be about 12.8 at battery with key on.So if all your connections at battery,starter,regulator,and alternator are good either the battery is shot or it is not being charged by the charging system.Have you checked all those connections yet?

Michael

I removed my starter, everything appears fine but what do I know. Anyway, can any auto shop test my starter or do I need a special motorcycle tester?

MZNYC

When you talked about cleaning the plunger on your starter, what is the plunger?

Also, I took the back off the starter and there was some grease that was reddish brown kind of like red clay color. Is this indicative of the blown magneto's talked about in the other starter threads? Anyone know where I can get a new starter.....cheap? Or am I going to be paying $235??? Also, from looking at the pictures on MGCYCLE regarding the brush kit, it doesn't look to be hard to do this. What is the difference between rebuilding the starter and replacing the brushes? Harpers apparently has a rebuild kit and its much cheaper than a new starter.

Have you gotten a charger for the battery?10v is NG.

Did you check all the reg/alt connections?

The solenoid rides piggyback on the starter,remove with a torx bit and disassemble it,a couple of torx screws hold it together.There is a brass/copper plunger inside.Spray it with electrical cleaner and wipe it clean.Use dry lube on it and re-assemble.

My local NAPA dealer says that they just connect it to a 12v battery to test starters.I'm sure a starter shop could do a more thorough test.Don't know about Guzzis but most starters don't just die,usually symptoms of slow starting ,then die.A few people here said they had slow starting symptoms for a while before the starter died.Also Greg said that a lot of dead starters were because of water getting it there.When I removed mine it was clean.A lot of dust but no evidence of water.What did yours look like?

I would still lean towards your battery or a bad connection.

Keep us posted

If all you have is 10 volts at the battery, stop right there and deal with that issue before you worry about your starter. Odds are there is nothing wrong with your starter, the battery is probably your issue. Charge it and see if it takes and holds a charge. Then maybe get it load tested at a shop (if it still won't start the bike). If after all that it still won't start but you have atleast 12.5-13.0 volts at the battery. Then post back for advice.

I broke down last night. When I would go to try and start the bike I would just get a click, maybe like the bike is trying to jump the starter motor? The starter does not engage, I just hear a click. My guess is that the starter went bad, but at 15000miles?? Any other guesses or places I should look before paying the reaper?

Thanks,

Matt

Know the Rules :homer: